Windows XP Pro from PIII to PIV

Hello. I have a HDD 100Gb with Windows XP Pro and it was installed in a P3
800Mhz but now I have a P4 3Ghz and the Windows Xp does not start. Can
anybody help me? I have a lot of programs and data installed and I don't
want to install Windows Xp again.

The P3 and P4 require diffrent boards to run,slot 370 and 478,the hd needs
to be reformated before it will operate,then reinstall xp,no way around it.
You should run the old system/board,run file-transfer-wizard,set as old,
run the data to a new folder you create,then transfer data to a cd.To get the
new system running,open the BIOS,install xp cd,set to boot to xp cd,then exit
BIOS,boot to cd,select install xp,new copy,delete the partition,create
one,then
let xp format and install auto.

Dinarte Gouveia wrote:

> Hello. I have a HDD 100Gb with Windows XP Pro and it was installed in a P3
> 800Mhz but now I have a P4 3Ghz and the Windows Xp does not start. Can
> anybody help me? I have a lot of programs and data installed and I don't
> want to install Windows Xp again.

If you have a retail XP CD, boot from it and then do a repair install.
--
Cheers, Bob

"Dinarte Gouveia" <dinarte.gouveia@ijm.pt> wrote in message
> Hello. I have a HDD 100Gb with Windows XP Pro and it was installed in a P3
> 800Mhz but now I have a P4 3Ghz and the Windows Xp does not start. Can
> anybody help me? I have a lot of programs and data installed and I don't
> want to install Windows Xp again.

Try this link: http://michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html On it go to
Moving a hard drive with XP installed to another computer. Do not reformat
your or you will lose all your files.

In correct about needing to format the hard drive. A simple
repair install will allow the system to boot and be
reactivated. This should simply install the correct drivers
for the new hardware.
See
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q315341&ID=KB;EN-US;Q315341

| The P3 and P4 require diffrent boards to run,slot 370 and
478,the hd needs
| to be reformated before it will operate,then reinstall
xp,no way around it.
| You should run the old system/board,run
file-transfer-wizard,set as old,
| run the data to a new folder you create,then transfer data
to a cd.To get the
| new system running,open the BIOS,install xp cd,set to boot
to xp cd,then exit
| BIOS,boot to cd,select install xp,new copy,delete the
partition,create
| one,then
| let xp format and install auto.
|

| "Dinarte Gouveia" wrote:
|
| > Hello. I have a HDD 100Gb with Windows XP Pro and it was
installed in a P3
| > 800Mhz but now I have a P4 3Ghz and the Windows Xp does
not start. Can
| > anybody help me? I have a lot of programs and data
installed and I don't
| > want to install Windows Xp again.

Thanks guys. I will try these options. Best regards.
"Dinarte Gouveia" <dinarte.gouveia@ijm.pt> escreveu na mensagem

Dinarte Gouveia wrote:
> Hello. I have a HDD 100Gb with Windows XP Pro and it was installed
> in
> a P3 800Mhz but now I have a P4 3Ghz and the Windows Xp does not
> start. Can anybody help me? I have a lot of programs and data
> installed and I don't want to install Windows Xp again.

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations
and licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours
before starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical
(same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the
one on which the WinXP installation was originally performed, you'll
need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at
the very least:

The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this
point. You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the
OS. (If you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as
picking up a Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch
style foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K
before it, is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to
accepting any old hardware configuration you throw at it. On
installation it "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This
is one of the reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much
more stable than the Win9x group.

important data before starting.

This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more
than 120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key,
you'll most likely be able to activate via the internet without
problem. If it's been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone
call.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: