TECH: Help with trackball

Guys,

I have a Kensington TurboMouse ADB, which is of course, Apple Desktop Bus.
It is a way cool trackball, though. It has a cueball iszed ball, and is the
perfect trackball size. I'd love to interface it to my PC for my Mame cab,
as Centipede, and bowling, and stuff would be much more realistic. I've
found various pinouts for both ADB and PS/2, etc.. on the internet, but I
can't figure out how to make it work. The wheels (sensors) in the
TurboMouse are contained, with only two leads external. They look like
optical sensors with encoder wheels, though. Every mouse I've got has an
optical source and reciever with the encoder wheel in between. I've
soldered the leads from the turbomouse things across my ps/2 mouse sensors
every which way I can think of, but it still doesn't work. I've found ADB
to USB converters, but if I had the money I'd just buy the Crayola trackball
or something that would work. I'm *Ghetto* when it comes to Mamecabbing, as
you guys know. Any of you guys used ADB devices on PCs? I'm using a I-pac
to interface my controls, so no trackball interface there. Thanks in
advance!

Daremo

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 17:55:05 GMT, "Daremo"
<ibleedblackNOSPAM@austin.rr.com> wrote:

>Guys,
>
>I have a Kensington TurboMouse ADB, which is of course, Apple Desktop Bus.
>It is a way cool trackball, though. It has a cueball iszed ball, and is the
>perfect trackball size. I'd love to interface it to my PC for my Mame cab,
>as Centipede, and bowling, and stuff would be much more realistic. I've
>found various pinouts for both ADB and PS/2, etc.. on the internet, but I
>can't figure out how to make it work. The wheels (sensors) in the
>TurboMouse are contained, with only two leads external.

only 2 wires? that doesn't sound right...you'd need 5 for the optics
maybe it's mechanical

They look like
>optical sensors with encoder wheels, though. Every mouse I've got has an
>optical source and reciever with the encoder wheel in between. I've
>soldered the leads from the turbomouse things across my ps/2 mouse sensors
>every which way I can think of, but it still doesn't work. I've found ADB
>to USB converters, but if I had the money I'd just buy the Crayola trackball
>or something that would work. I'm *Ghetto* when it comes to Mamecabbing, as
>you guys know. Any of you guys used ADB devices on PCs?

I haven't.
Why not crack it open and see how it works....if it's optical then it
should be easy to hook up some mice guts to it. If it's mechanical
then good luck on your adb > pc quest.