Req: Help - connecting two machines (one wireless) via Dra..

Mike

Splendid
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

I have a Draytek 2600g wireless router as seen here:
http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2600g.html

A desktop machine is connected via network cable with all
settings in TCP/IP, DNS etc., set to obtain automatically. This
system is running XP Pro SP2 and connects to the net via the
router. The gateway is set to 192.168.1.1 (default).

The system has a unique name for this machine and the group
setting is the default "WORKGROUP". However, the system will not
identify itself on the network in "My Network Places" despite the
'network' connection being live and working.

The other machine is a laptop with a Belkin 802.11g wireless
network card installed. TCP/IP settings are set to automatic as
above and the system connects to the router and to the internet
via the router's gateway when all security settings are left
"open". However this system also does not find itself in "My
Network Places".

Also, it will not connect to the router when using added security
with the WPA-PSK option. I have set both the router and the
laptop to use WPA-PSK/TKIP and tried using both hex and ascii
passphrases. To give examples:

ASCII: abcdef123
HEX:
0xabcdef1234abcdef1234abcdef1234abcdef1234abcdef1234abcdef1234abcd

I have input both and niether will work. The router says the
above hex phrase is too long, and will only accept a 62 character
string without the "0x" prefix. Windows network setup will not
accept anything resembling a hex phrase. Both systems will accept
the ASCII phrase, but then the laptop and router will not talk to
each other. Clearing everything back to "open" establishes the
connection once more.

Can anyone please assist?

Thanks.

Mike <find@reply.to> wrote:

>I have a Draytek 2600g wireless router as seen here:
>http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2600g.html
>
>A desktop machine is connected via network cable with all
>settings in TCP/IP, DNS etc., set to obtain automatically. This
>system is running XP Pro SP2 and connects to the net via the
>router. The gateway is set to 192.168.1.1 (default).
>
>The system has a unique name for this machine and the group
>setting is the default "WORKGROUP". However, the system will not
>identify itself on the network in "My Network Places" despite the
>'network' connection being live and working.
>
>The other machine is a laptop with a Belkin 802.11g wireless
>network card installed. TCP/IP settings are set to automatic as
>above and the system connects to the router and to the internet
>via the router's gateway when all security settings are left
>"open". However this system also does not find itself in "My
>Network Places".
>
>Also, it will not connect to the router when using added security
>with the WPA-PSK option. I have set both the router and the
>laptop to use WPA-PSK/TKIP and tried using both hex and ascii
>passphrases. To give examples:
>
>ASCII: abcdef123
>HEX:
>0xabcdef1234abcdef1234abcdef1234abcdef1234abcdef1234abcdef1234abcd
>
>I have input both and niether will work. The router says the
>above hex phrase is too long, and will only accept a 62 character
>string without the "0x" prefix. Windows network setup will not
>accept anything resembling a hex phrase. Both systems will accept
>the ASCII phrase, but then the laptop and router will not talk to
>each other. Clearing everything back to "open" establishes the
>connection once more.
>
>Can anyone please assist?

I'll take that as a "no" then. :-(

TRENDING THREADS