Intel Says Plastic Ultrabooks Could Reach $599 This Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I don't know about you but I will not be getting an ultrabook, still too expensive for not enough performance (no decent GPU).

Intel, if you really want to reduce the price, sell your CPU's CHEAPER!

I personally do not know how much profit Intel actually makes, as they don't ship their manufacturing over seas, the may not be making the profits you might think (of course I have no idea what they make).

Even if they do make huge profits, I'm not sure it would be good for all of us if Intel sold their CPU's as cheap as they could. They'd force AMD to lower their prices even cheaper than Intel due to their performance woes. That could hurt AMD and run them out of business, and that would not benefit us in the long run.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
they need to create a different category. The ultrabook should stick with ALU or metal frame. From marketing point of view, it is a luxury laptop. Introduce a new category, similar in hardware but cheaper due to material used...

bennaye

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]I personally do not know how much profit Intel actually makes, as they don't ship their manufacturing over seas, the may not be making the profits you might think (of course I have no idea what they make).Even if they do make huge profits, I'm not sure it would be good for all of us if Intel sold their CPU's as cheap as they could. They'd force AMD to lower their prices even cheaper than Intel due to their performance woes. That could hurt AMD and run them out of business, and that would not benefit us in the long run.[/citation]

soooo...good guy intel?

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
And touch screens will become the norm, because Microsoft said so, despite the fact that they suck and are completely unnecessary on a machine with a keyboard.

G

re:bystander 05/04/2012 3:28 AM
Even if they do make huge profits, I'm not sure it would be good for all of us if Intel sold their CPU's as cheap as they could. They'd force AMD to lower their prices even cheaper than Intel due to their performance woes. That could hurt AMD and run them out of business, and that would not benefit us in the long run.

most of my xeon cpu are made in malaysia.
fixed.

G

re: bystander 05/04/2012 3:28 AM

most of xeon cpu are made in malaysia. there is no patriotism but only business. and is the biggest reason why china screw all us up.

halcyon

Splendid
One of the things I really like about Ultrabooks is that Al/metal chassis. Asus' Ultrabooks are dead sexy..they look as good as the MacBook Air. Plastic instead? No thanks, I'd pay the premium. They should call the plastic version something different..."EconomyBooks".

[citation][nom]bennaye[/nom]soooo...good guy intel?[/citation]
I don't see them as bad guys. They sell at a reasonable price, right in line with what AMD does for the performance...except for the occasional extreme CPU, which is marked up into the ridiculous. I suppose those over the top chips are for bragging rights.

[citation][nom]notture34321[/nom]re: bystander 05/04/2012 3:28 AMEven if they do make huge profits, I'm not sure it would be good for all of us if Intel sold their CPU's as cheap as they could. They'd force AMD to lower their prices even cheaper than Intel due to their performance woes. That could hurt AMD and run them out of business, and that would not benefit us in the long run.most of xeon cpu are made in malaysia. there is no patriotism but only business. and is the biggest reason why china screw all us up.[/citation]
I'm not sure about the Malaysia plant you are referring to, but I may have misspoken. Most their plants are in the USA. But they do have 3 plants outside the USA as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_manufacturing_sites

Edit: I see what you were referring to. There are assembly/test sites in Malaysia. Most the Fab sites are in the USA.

G

As always, different strokes for different folks Whyso. It's the HD graphics http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-4000-Benchmarked.73567.0.html that actually have me interested in ultrabooks. The GPU performance is top of the line for mobile until Trinity comes, BUT I don't have to sacrafice my CPU performance at all (like I would with a netbook) AND I get the long battery life I covet. Those of us who travel appreciate long battery life and this will make a perfect travel notebook.

My issue with the ultrabook is the 4 GB standardized memory footprint. I am definitely not cool with that and the memory iss oldered on so no upgrades. I hope they make some with 8 GB because I definitely won't be buying them with 4. I would be plenty happy with a ultrabook that came with thunderbolt, a mSATA 40 GB, 500-7500 7k rpm HDD, 8 GB, and gave me 8 hours of battery life. I would be willing to fork out $1k for that just due to how useful the device would be.

[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]I personally do not know how much profit Intel actually makes, as they don't ship their manufacturing over seas, the may not be making the profits you might think (of course I have no idea what they make).Even if they do make huge profits, I'm not sure it would be good for all of us if Intel sold their CPU's as cheap as they could.[/citation]

It wouldn't hurt Intel to drop prices at all. Since they fab in low-tax states like AZ, their costs are most likely close to what it costs to fab in Asia (even Apple said that labor costs aren't very significant in the overall price of a product). Intel has such a strong grip on the PC industry that it can force companies to pay them $XXX for their products (like Apple does with carriers).

[citation][nom]boiler1990[/nom]It wouldn't hurt Intel to drop prices at all. Since they fab in low-tax states like AZ, their costs are most likely close to what it costs to fab in Asia (even Apple said that labor costs aren't very significant in the overall price of a product). Intel has such a strong grip on the PC industry that it can force companies to pay them $XXX for their products (like Apple does with carriers).[/citation]
It is easy to assume things, but do you have an evidence that they are raking in a high percentage of profits?

frostyfireball

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
A 600$ Ultrabook as they are describing is essentially what we've had for years, known as ultraportables or thin and lights. That's gonna dilute and devalue the term considerably IMO, ruining the idea that these were supposed to be very luxurious and semi-expensive machines.

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
[citation][nom]whyso[/nom]I don't know about you but I will not be getting an ultrabook, still too expensive for not enough performance (no decent GPU).Intel, if you really want to reduce the price, sell your CPU's CHEAPER![/citation]
if it has thunderbolt you can have an external gpu and still have desktop performance while having a very light ultrabook

Intel is being so greedy right now. The whole ultrabook concept was to have windows labtop compete with the apple MacBook air. If you make these things with a plastic rather than aluminum, it won't be an ultra book anymore. Also if you have plastic shells, I can guarantee you will need active cooling as plastic cannot serve as a heatsink like aluminum can. Intel should probably make their chips cheaper instead of make the manufacturers switch to a plastic shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS