Sounds hardware not working

I've recently re-formatted using Windows XP and as soon as I began to use it,
I noticed that no sound was coming out of my speakers. I went to my control
panel under the sound section and under the "Voice" tab and requested it to
test my hardware. The wizard came back with a message "Sound Hardware cannot
play sound. Contact Vendor" My speakers worked fine before I'm not certain
why they aren't now.
Rachel, Maine
6 answers Last reply
More about sounds hardware working

    The VENDOR the message refers to is the manufacturer of your sound card.
    Visit the website and download and install the drivers for the sound
    card and all will be good.

    rbryantmaine wrote:

    > I've recently re-formatted using Windows XP and as soon as I began to use it,
    > I noticed that no sound was coming out of my speakers. I went to my control
    > panel under the sound section and under the "Voice" tab and requested it to
    > test my hardware. The wizard came back with a message "Sound Hardware cannot
    > play sound. Contact Vendor" My speakers worked fine before I'm not certain
    > why they aren't now.
    > Rachel, Maine

    I'm finding it difficult to get to the vendor website. I keep getting
    re-directed or the websites are no longer available. Can you tell me where
    to download the driver for an aureal 8810 sound card?

    "rbryantmaine" <rbryantmaine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've recently re-formatted using Windows XP and as soon as I began to use
    it,
    > I noticed that no sound was coming out of my speakers. I went to my
    control
    > panel under the sound section and under the "Voice" tab and requested it
    > test my hardware. The wizard came back with a message "Sound Hardware
    cannot
    > play sound. Contact Vendor" My speakers worked fine before I'm not
    certain
    > why they aren't now.
    > Rachel, Maine

    When you reinstalled Windows, it probably didn't install the drivers for
    your sound hardware. If you look in Device Manager - via Control Panel,
    System - you'll probably see exclamation marks beside what should be the
    audio hardware.

    If you know what the hardware actually *is*, it's easy to just surf over to
    the manufacturer's site and download the drivers. If you have a driver CD
    that came with your computer, even better - use that. Run the setup
    program and all should be well.

    If you have neither of these and don't want to open the case and examine the
    hardware, use an audit program like Aida32 (now called Everest) which will
    go and look to see exactly what the hardware is. It's very useful and
    helpful. Based on that information, you can get the needed drivers.

    Get Everest home edition (free) here:
    http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

    HTH
    -pk

    > I'm finding it difficult to get to the vendor website. I keep getting
    > re-directed or the websites are no longer available. Can you tell me
    where
    > to download the driver for an aureal 8810 sound card?

    Actually, drivers for this should be on teh XP CD. If it wasn't detected
    properly you may need to manually select it.

    HTH
    -pk

    WHAT is your sound card model and name ? it seems you are having a drive
    issue or the drive is not installed

    Regards,

    --
    SaN-DeePTech-Arena - http://www.tech-arena.com

    According to my computer, aureal 8810 does not have an exclamation point on
    it and the properties tab suggests that it is working. I put in my driver
    disk and didn't see anything helpful but used the troubleshooting option and
    then updated the device. It still does not play sound.

    "newthread[username]" wrote:

    > WHAT is your sound card model and name ? it seems you are having a drive
    > issue or the drive is not installed
    >
    > Regards,
    >

    > --
    > SaN-DeePTech-Arena - http://www.tech-arena.com