JamesP

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2004

With this enabled on the router is there really any need for other layers of
security (ex. WEP, WPA, etc.)?

Hi
Security Needs is a relative term. MAC filter will block an innocent
neighbor that might wonder accidentally onto your Wireless Connection.
However if the "Leech" is a Hacker it will be very easy for him to Hack the
MAC and get into your Network.

WEP, WPA, and the Future - http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"JamesP" <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> With this enabled on the router is there really any need for other layers
of
> security (ex. WEP, WPA, etc.)?

JamesP

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2004

Thanks for the clarification (neighbor vs hacker) ... I'll check out the URLs
you included.

"Jack (MVP)" wrote:

> Hi
> Security Needs is a relative term. MAC filter will block an innocent
> neighbor that might wonder accidentally onto your Wireless Connection.
> However if the "Leech" is a Hacker it will be very easy for him to Hack the
> MAC and get into your Network.

> WEP, WPA, and the Future - http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "JamesP" <JamesP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > With this enabled on the router is there really any need for other layers
> of
> > security (ex. WEP, WPA, etc.)?

Just to follow up on that, a hacker would more then likely beable to crack
through your WEP security also, and even WPA is not uncrackable.

You want a secure network? Go Wired without an outside connection :)