Can't get USB hubs to work...

October 29, 2004 1:35:01 AM

I have a Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 7-port hub with power and can't get it
installed. When I plug into any of the USB 2.0 ports on my system, it detects
it and lists it in Device Mgr as a "USB Device" with a yellow exclamation
point. The add new hardware wizard launches and I follow through it and it
doesn't find a driver, despite having my WinXP Pro disk in the drive and
having WinXP SP2 installed.

I've also tried 2 different generic 4-port hubs with no power, and they
produce the same results.

I have 4-5 USB devices that work perfectly fine with this machine (printer,
mouse, camera, smartcard reader, video camera).

Any ideas?
--
Thanks in advance

Bill

More about : usb hubs work

October 29, 2004 3:12:01 AM

You may need to install a USB2 driver separately. Check your motherboard Cd
for a specific USB2 driver for the onboard chipset.

Belkin's Manual indicates that no drivers are necessary.

"billjup" wrote:

> I have a Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 7-port hub with power and can't get it
> installed. When I plug into any of the USB 2.0 ports on my system, it detects
> it and lists it in Device Mgr as a "USB Device" with a yellow exclamation
> point. The add new hardware wizard launches and I follow through it and it
> doesn't find a driver, despite having my WinXP Pro disk in the drive and
> having WinXP SP2 installed.
>
> I've also tried 2 different generic 4-port hubs with no power, and they
> produce the same results.
>
> I have 4-5 USB devices that work perfectly fine with this machine (printer,
> mouse, camera, smartcard reader, video camera).
>
> Any ideas?
> --
> Thanks in advance
>
> Bill
October 29, 2004 6:12:20 AM

Hi;
Not ALL usb ports on your MB are v.2.0 some are v.1.1.
Typically you'll have 2 at v.2.0 and 2 or 4 more at v.1.1.
Re-arrange your devices so that the Belkin ends-up
connected to one of the v.2.0 as it needs be.
Tips: keyboard and mice don't need more than v.1.0.

"billjup" <billjup@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 7-port hub with power and can't get it
> installed. When I plug into any of the USB 2.0 ports on my system, it detects
> it and lists it in Device Mgr as a "USB Device" with a yellow exclamation
> point. The add new hardware wizard launches and I follow through it and it
> doesn't find a driver, despite having my WinXP Pro disk in the drive and
> having WinXP SP2 installed.
>
> I've also tried 2 different generic 4-port hubs with no power, and they
> produce the same results.
>
> I have 4-5 USB devices that work perfectly fine with this machine (printer,
> mouse, camera, smartcard reader, video camera).
>
> Any ideas?
> --
> Thanks in advance
>
> Bill
October 29, 2004 9:53:02 AM

Interesting. How do I know which are 2.0 and which are 1.x? I have 4 ports in
teh back of the machine and one in the front.

Thanks!

"Mikey" wrote:

> Hi;
> Not ALL usb ports on your MB are v.2.0 some are v.1.1.
> Typically you'll have 2 at v.2.0 and 2 or 4 more at v.1.1.
> Re-arrange your devices so that the Belkin ends-up
> connected to one of the v.2.0 as it needs be.
> Tips: keyboard and mice don't need more than v.1.0.
>
> "billjup" <billjup@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 7-port hub with power and can't get it
> > installed. When I plug into any of the USB 2.0 ports on my system, it detects
> > it and lists it in Device Mgr as a "USB Device" with a yellow exclamation
> > point. The add new hardware wizard launches and I follow through it and it
> > doesn't find a driver, despite having my WinXP Pro disk in the drive and
> > having WinXP SP2 installed.
> >
> > I've also tried 2 different generic 4-port hubs with no power, and they
> > produce the same results.
> >
> > I have 4-5 USB devices that work perfectly fine with this machine (printer,
> > mouse, camera, smartcard reader, video camera).
> >
> > Any ideas?
> > --
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Bill

Anonymous
October 29, 2004 12:03:17 PM

Download one or both of these programs, Bel Arc Advisor
www.belarc.com and
Everest from www.lavalys.com and they will identify the
make, model and serial number of your motherboard. You can
then go to the maker's website and get the motherboard
(mobo) manual and see which ports support what. If you have
USB 2.0 on the mobo, probably all the ports are USB 2.0. If
you have added a USB 2.0 PCI card, only the ports on that
card or connected to it will be USB 2.0.

USB 2.0 will say Enhanced controller and USB 1.1 will say
something else.

!