OS Wind.XPPro.Pentium 4 Processor 3.20GHz,120GB HDD, 512 MB DDR RAM,
GA-81PE 1000 Series Mother Board (GIGA Byte)

On start up the PC (over 12 months old) produces the Desktop, but refuses to
perform any tasks, e.g.connect the telephone, nor will it close down.

I have to bootup in Safe Mode, run systems restore and try again. This
morning it refused to work even after systems restore.

Any suggestions what may be wrong and how to cure it?

BigJim

could be a virus, Trojan or just to many corrupt files
if you can't restore it, then you may need to reload the OS.

"annonymous@discussions.microsoft.com" <annonymous@fsnet.cvo.uk> wrote in
message news:OUnwMqYvEHA.2548@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...