120 gig usb 3000LE external drive problems

I have a 120 gig 3000LE external usb hard drive. This hard drive was working
on a clients computer up to Oct 21 04 with data on it. Recently this client
complained of mistakingly deleting some files.
The hard drive was brought to me to see if i could use some file retrieving
software to get back the files.

I am running XP pro srv pk2 with usb 1.0 ports. The system detects the hard
drive and adds it in the device manager. The hard drive does'nt show up in
my computer or explorer. I have searched hi and low for a solution to the
problem on this site .

According to xp there is no need to install driver as xp should have them
bundled.
i uninstalled it from the device "mangler" and reinstalled to no avail.
the system boots very slow with this device attached to the usb but i get no
errors.
The drive also shows in the safely remove hardware taskbar icon.

I have noticed other similar complaints but haven't heard of a solution that
worked.

I've been tearing my hair out over this for two day now and this person is
waiting on files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

--
Hayward

Hi Hayward -

You need to assign it a drive letter in order to be able to find the drive
in Windows Explorer or My Computer.

Right-click on My Computer and select Manage from the drop-down menu.

Along the tree, select Storage then Disk Management.

You'll be presented with a graphic on the upper right representing the
partition(s) on your first hard drive.

In the lower right of the window, scroll using the slider to find the
removable drive.

Right-click on the drive and select the option from the drop-down menu to
assign a drive letter.

Jef

"Hayward" <Hayward@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I have a 120 gig 3000LE external usb hard drive. This hard drive was
working
| on a clients computer up to Oct 21 04 with data on it. Recently this
client
| complained of mistakingly deleting some files.
| The hard drive was brought to me to see if i could use some file
retrieving
| software to get back the files.
|
| I am running XP pro srv pk2 with usb 1.0 ports. The system detects the
hard
| drive and adds it in the device manager. The hard drive does'nt show up
in
| my computer or explorer. I have searched hi and low for a solution to the
| problem on this site .
|
| According to xp there is no need to install driver as xp should have them
| bundled.
| i uninstalled it from the device "mangler" and reinstalled to no avail.
| the system boots very slow with this device attached to the usb but i get
no
| errors.
| The drive also shows in the safely remove hardware taskbar icon.
|
| I have noticed other similar complaints but haven't heard of a solution
that
| worked.
|
| I've been tearing my hair out over this for two day now and this person is
| waiting on files.
|
| Any help would be greatly appreciated
|

| --
| Hayward

Jef,
Thanks for the quik reply but i it also doesn't show in Disk Management

"Jef Norton" wrote:

> Hi Hayward -
>
> You need to assign it a drive letter in order to be able to find the drive
> in Windows Explorer or My Computer.
>
> Right-click on My Computer and select Manage from the drop-down menu.
>
> Along the tree, select Storage then Disk Management.
>
> You'll be presented with a graphic on the upper right representing the
> partition(s) on your first hard drive.
>
> In the lower right of the window, scroll using the slider to find the
> removable drive.
>
> Right-click on the drive and select the option from the drop-down menu to
> assign a drive letter.
>
> Jef
>

> "Hayward" <Hayward@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> |I have a 120 gig 3000LE external usb hard drive. This hard drive was
> working
> | on a clients computer up to Oct 21 04 with data on it. Recently this
> client
> | complained of mistakingly deleting some files.
> | The hard drive was brought to me to see if i could use some file
> retrieving
> | software to get back the files.
> |
> | I am running XP pro srv pk2 with usb 1.0 ports. The system detects the
> hard
> | drive and adds it in the device manager. The hard drive does'nt show up
> in
> | my computer or explorer. I have searched hi and low for a solution to the
> | problem on this site .
> |
> | According to xp there is no need to install driver as xp should have them
> | bundled.
> | i uninstalled it from the device "mangler" and reinstalled to no avail.
> | the system boots very slow with this device attached to the usb but i get
> no
> | errors.
> | The drive also shows in the safely remove hardware taskbar icon.
> |
> | I have noticed other similar complaints but haven't heard of a solution
> that
> | worked.
> |
> | I've been tearing my hair out over this for two day now and this person is
> | waiting on files.
> |
> | Any help would be greatly appreciated
> |

> | --
> | Hayward

Please note that I have encountered USB 2.0 devices that will not work on
USB 1.0 ports. I also found that some USB 2.0 device do not work on USB 1.1
ports. Check with the device maker to see is the USB is backwards
compatible.

> Jef,
> Thanks for the quik reply but i it also doesn't show in Disk Management
>
> "Jef Norton" wrote:
>
>> Hi Hayward -
>>
>> You need to assign it a drive letter in order to be able to find the
>> drive
>> in Windows Explorer or My Computer.
>>
>> Right-click on My Computer and select Manage from the drop-down menu.
>>
>> Along the tree, select Storage then Disk Management.
>>
>> You'll be presented with a graphic on the upper right representing the
>> partition(s) on your first hard drive.
>>
>> In the lower right of the window, scroll using the slider to find the
>> removable drive.
>>
>> Right-click on the drive and select the option from the drop-down menu to
>> assign a drive letter.
>>
>> Jef
>>

>> "Hayward" <Hayward@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> |I have a 120 gig 3000LE external usb hard drive. This hard drive was
>> working
>> | on a clients computer up to Oct 21 04 with data on it. Recently this
>> client
>> | complained of mistakingly deleting some files.
>> | The hard drive was brought to me to see if i could use some file
>> retrieving
>> | software to get back the files.
>> |
>> | I am running XP pro srv pk2 with usb 1.0 ports. The system detects the
>> hard
>> | drive and adds it in the device manager. The hard drive does'nt show
>> up
>> in
>> | my computer or explorer. I have searched hi and low for a solution to
>> the
>> | problem on this site .
>> |
>> | According to xp there is no need to install driver as xp should have
>> them
>> | bundled.
>> | i uninstalled it from the device "mangler" and reinstalled to no avail.
>> | the system boots very slow with this device attached to the usb but i
>> get
>> no
>> | errors.
>> | The drive also shows in the safely remove hardware taskbar icon.
>> |
>> | I have noticed other similar complaints but haven't heard of a solution
>> that
>> | worked.
>> |
>> | I've been tearing my hair out over this for two day now and this person
>> is
>> | waiting on files.
>> |
>> | Any help would be greatly appreciated
>> |

>> | --
>> | Hayward

"Hayward" <Hayward@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Jef,
| Thanks for the quik reply but i it also doesn't show in Disk Management

Hi Hayward -

Are you certain it's not there. It may be down the list in the quarter of
the window on the lower right -- there should be a slider bar along the
edge -- and the drive may be beneath CD-ROM, DVD, etc., drives already
assigned letters on the system.

Otherwise, I'm out of ideas.

Jef

"Hayward" <Hayward@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am running XP pro srv pk2 with usb 1.0 ports. The system detects the
hard
> drive and adds it in the device manager.

What does device manager show for this drive? Under "properties", does it
say it is "working properly"? What computer it is and do you happen to know
what USB chipset it uses? If you click on "show hidden devices" on device
manager and look at all the device trees, is there any device with a "!" or
other warning on it? What is the make and model of the external HD? I have
had similar problems in the past, but was able to resolve them.

Cleiber

Yeh Jef,

Im certain its not in the disk manager.
It "is" in device manager and showing working properly
strange!!

"Jef Norton" wrote:

> "Hayward" <Hayward@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Jef,
> | Thanks for the quik reply but i it also doesn't show in Disk Management
> |

> Hi Hayward -
>
> Are you certain it's not there. It may be down the list in the quarter of
> the window on the lower right -- there should be a slider bar along the
> edge -- and the drive may be beneath CD-ROM, DVD, etc., drives already
> assigned letters on the system.
>
> Otherwise, I'm out of ideas.
>
> Jef

Clieber,

The device manager shows it to be working properly as a usb mass storage
device and also it shows up correctly when i expand the disc drives list.
There are no expanation Marks in device manager anywhere after expanding all
areas.

When i plug it in to the usb it pick it up, tells me my device is ready for
use and warns me that it will fuction much faster on a usb 2.0. But then when
i go to my computer it is not there or also not in explorer.
I would just like to see the darn %!!%#% thing so i can retrieve some files(
as you can see it is driving me nuts(ha ha))

The make and Model is a Maxtor 120 gig model 3000LE Spin Rate 7200 rpm's

The computer i am using is a dell dimension L900CXE
When you ask of the chipset, do you mean the motherboard chipset or usb
controller chipset ? I,m not an avid computer tech so this might seem like a
silly question but could you elaborate a little.

I appreciate your interest and look forward to any help.

"Cleiber" wrote:

> "Hayward" <Hayward@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am running XP pro srv pk2 with usb 1.0 ports. The system detects the
> hard
> > drive and adds it in the device manager.
>
> What does device manager show for this drive? Under "properties", does it
> say it is "working properly"? What computer it is and do you happen to know
> what USB chipset it uses? If you click on "show hidden devices" on device
> manager and look at all the device trees, is there any device with a "!" or
> other warning on it? What is the make and model of the external HD? I have
> had similar problems in the past, but was able to resolve them.
>
> Cleiber

TRENDING THREADS