adding DDR RAM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

I have a Gigabyte GA-8IGX mb with 256M DDR333 (Samsung chips) in Slot 1. I
tried to add a Kingston 256M DDR333 to Slot 2, but it gave me a blue screen
(PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA stop 0x00000050) while booting win xp. I
further tried other combination and resulted as follows:

1. Swap the two RAM -> failed
2. Use Slot 1 and 3 instead -> failed
3. Only use Samsung and in Slot 1 (old config) -> OK
4. Only use Kingston and in Slot 1 -> OK

I didn't change any BIOS setting and there is no jumper setting in the mb.
The BIOS is F4. My win xp VM size setting is auto. Can anybody help me on
this?
18 answers Last reply
More about adding
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 21:50:26 +0800, "Sender Jones"
    <sender@happy.net> wrote:

    >I have a Gigabyte GA-8IGX mb with 256M DDR333 (Samsung chips) in Slot 1. I
    >tried to add a Kingston 256M DDR333 to Slot 2, but it gave me a blue screen
    >(PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA stop 0x00000050) while booting win xp. I
    >further tried other combination and resulted as follows:
    >
    >1. Swap the two RAM -> failed
    >2. Use Slot 1 and 3 instead -> failed
    >3. Only use Samsung and in Slot 1 (old config) -> OK
    >4. Only use Kingston and in Slot 1 -> OK
    >
    >I didn't change any BIOS setting and there is no jumper setting in the mb.
    >The BIOS is F4. My win xp VM size setting is auto. Can anybody help me on
    >this?

    You do not need to reinstall XP as another poster suggested.
    Your board simply isn't stable with both modules, most
    likely. Run memtest86 with only one module in, then only
    the other. If they both pass then it'd be a matter of the
    motherboard bios not adjusting the memory timings
    appropriately. IF your bios allows manual adjustments you
    could then try to set slower timings (larger numbers), or
    return the new memory module and get something different.

    Note that getting a different (new) module alone may not
    solve this, as your old module might need changed too.
    Basically you'd be seeking modules with higher spec to get
    the motherboard to run them at lower spec, which also may
    not work, you might still need to manually adjust the
    timings in the bios.

    You might find the best chance for stability by leaving the
    middle memory slot empty. Also see if a newer bios (update)
    helps... just be sure system is stable before trying to
    flash bios.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    "Sender Jones" <sender@happy.net> wrote in message
    > I have a Gigabyte GA-8IGX mb with 256M DDR333 (Samsung chips) in Slot 1. I
    > tried to add a Kingston 256M DDR333 to Slot 2, but it gave me a blue
    > screen (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA stop 0x00000050) while booting win
    > xp. I further tried other combination and resulted as follows:
    >
    > 1. Swap the two RAM -> failed
    > 2. Use Slot 1 and 3 instead -> failed
    > 3. Only use Samsung and in Slot 1 (old config) -> OK
    > 4. Only use Kingston and in Slot 1 -> OK
    >
    > I didn't change any BIOS setting and there is no jumper setting in the mb.
    > The BIOS is F4. My win xp VM size setting is auto. Can anybody help me on
    > this?

    You have to clean install XP to get it working - however, it's worth to try
    a repair install from CD

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0510-0, 08/03/2005
    Tested on: 11/03/2005 6:34:49 PM
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    SteveK wrote:

    > "Sender Jones" <sender@happy.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have a Gigabyte GA-8IGX mb with 256M DDR333 (Samsung chips) in Slot 1. I
    >>tried to add a Kingston 256M DDR333 to Slot 2, but it gave me a blue
    >>screen (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA stop 0x00000050) while booting win
    >>xp. I further tried other combination and resulted as follows:
    >>
    >>1. Swap the two RAM -> failed
    >>2. Use Slot 1 and 3 instead -> failed
    >>3. Only use Samsung and in Slot 1 (old config) -> OK
    >>4. Only use Kingston and in Slot 1 -> OK
    >>
    >>I didn't change any BIOS setting and there is no jumper setting in the mb.
    >>The BIOS is F4. My win xp VM size setting is auto. Can anybody help me on
    >>this?
    >

    > You have to clean install XP to get it working - however, it's worth to try
    > a repair install from CD

    Huh? You're trying to argue that XP has to be not only reinstalled but
    *fresh* installed simply because one adds RAM to the system?
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 21:50:26 +0800, Sender Jones wrote:

    > I have a Gigabyte GA-8IGX mb with 256M DDR333 (Samsung chips) in Slot 1. I
    > tried to add a Kingston 256M DDR333 to Slot 2, but it gave me a blue
    > screen (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA stop 0x00000050) while booting win xp.
    > I further tried other combination and resulted as follows:
    >
    > 1. Swap the two RAM -> failed
    > 2. Use Slot 1 and 3 instead -> failed 3. Only use Samsung and in Slot 1
    > (old config) -> OK 4. Only use Kingston and in Slot 1 -> OK
    >
    > I didn't change any BIOS setting and there is no jumper setting in the mb.
    > The BIOS is F4. My win xp VM size setting is auto. Can anybody help me on
    > this?

    Obviously, to me the Kingston doesn't work in your system. Kingston
    isn't consistent in their chip manufacturing and labeling. I suggest you
    return the chip and either get another Samsung or a Kingston DDR266.

    I had to RMA the same chip twice to Kingston. The chip labeled
    the same as one in my system didn't work because it was a higher density
    than the motherboard could recognize.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:50:20 GMT, jaster <jaster@home.net> wrote:

    >On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 21:50:26 +0800, Sender Jones wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Gigabyte GA-8IGX mb with 256M DDR333 (Samsung chips) in Slot 1. I
    >> tried to add a Kingston 256M DDR333 to Slot 2, but it gave me a blue
    >> screen (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA stop 0x00000050) while booting win xp.
    >> I further tried other combination and resulted as follows:
    >>
    >> 1. Swap the two RAM -> failed
    >> 2. Use Slot 1 and 3 instead -> failed 3. Only use Samsung and in Slot 1
    >> (old config) -> OK 4. Only use Kingston and in Slot 1 -> OK
    >>
    >> I didn't change any BIOS setting and there is no jumper setting in the mb.
    >> The BIOS is F4. My win xp VM size setting is auto. Can anybody help me on
    >> this?
    >
    >Obviously, to me the Kingston doesn't work in your system. Kingston
    >isn't consistent in their chip manufacturing and labeling. I suggest you
    >return the chip and either get another Samsung or a Kingston DDR266.
    >
    >I had to RMA the same chip twice to Kingston. The chip labeled
    >the same as one in my system didn't work because it was a higher density
    >than the motherboard could recognize.

    This is a point for the density and the 3 of bits use by the memory
    chip i think Kingston is a 64bits chip and not a 72bit one. But i
    don't think this is the case here. I would suggest that he use a
    manual setting to use the 2 chip. But considering that manufacturer
    always recommend to use same brand of chip i would say that mixing two
    different (((value ram))) would result in that situation...

    Solution sell the two chip stick and get a dual ddr 256 megs mem chip
    it would be about the same price... of two Kingston 256 megs
    (2x45$can)... like 88$ can for the dual ddr

    PS: memory chip doesn't any kind of driver of some sort so there is no
    need to format... This is for the guy that say that...
    ..
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    "Sender Jones" <sender@happy.net> wrote in message news:d0hm71$se01@imsp212.netvigator.com...
    > I have a Gigabyte GA-8IGX mb with 256M DDR333 (Samsung chips) in Slot 1.
    > I tried to add a Kingston 256M DDR333 to Slot 2, but it gave me a blue screen
    > (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA stop 0x00000050) while booting win xp.
    > I further tried other combination and resulted as follows:
    >
    > 1. Swap the two RAM -> failed
    > 2. Use Slot 1 and 3 instead -> failed
    > 3. Only use Samsung and in Slot 1 (old config) -> OK
    > 4. Only use Kingston and in Slot 1 -> OK
    >
    > I didn't change any BIOS setting and there is no jumper setting in the mb.
    > The BIOS is F4. My win xp VM size setting is auto. Can anybody help
    > me on this?

    I think sometimes you can have unstable memory because there
    are just too many chips for the addressing circuitry to drive.
    It probably has something to do with too much capacitance.
    It might be stable at a lower speed, or you could try using
    higher density memory (which would have fewer chips),
    provided that your mb can use high-density memory.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    I've never had a problem with Kingston. I have an old P233MMX/Gigabyte MB
    with 512 (256x2, P100) Kingston memory & 2 Intel D865 PERL MBs with matched
    pairs (1 with 256 X 2 DDR400) & (1 with 512 X 2 DDR 400). Not a single
    memory fault in any of the systems using Kingston.
    Not sure whether that's a testament to the memory or the quality of the MBs
    I use but I don't agree that Kingston produces inconsistent memory
    manufacturing or labeling; it works fine for me.

    "jaster" <jaster@home.net> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 21:50:26 +0800, Sender Jones wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Gigabyte GA-8IGX mb with 256M DDR333 (Samsung chips) in Slot 1.
    >> tried to add a Kingston 256M DDR333 to Slot 2, but it gave me a blue
    >> screen (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA stop 0x00000050) while booting win
    >> xp.
    >> I further tried other combination and resulted as follows:
    >>
    >> 1. Swap the two RAM -> failed
    >> 2. Use Slot 1 and 3 instead -> failed 3. Only use Samsung and in Slot 1
    >> (old config) -> OK 4. Only use Kingston and in Slot 1 -> OK
    >>
    >> I didn't change any BIOS setting and there is no jumper setting in the
    >> mb.
    >> The BIOS is F4. My win xp VM size setting is auto. Can anybody help me on
    >> this?
    >
    > Obviously, to me the Kingston doesn't work in your system. Kingston
    > isn't consistent in their chip manufacturing and labeling. I suggest you
    > return the chip and either get another Samsung or a Kingston DDR266.
    >
    > I had to RMA the same chip twice to Kingston. The chip labeled
    > the same as one in my system didn't work because it was a higher density
    > than the motherboard could recognize.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    Yo dude, see page 5 of your manual. Your MB only supports DDR266 (PC2100) &
    DDR200 (PC1600). I suggest you trade the DDR333 for 2 sticks of DDR266 and
    I'm sure you'll get a better reaction from your MB.

    "SteveK" <nospam@iPrimus.com.au> wrote in message
    > "Sender Jones" <sender@happy.net> wrote in message
    >> I have a Gigabyte GA-8IGX mb with 256M DDR333 (Samsung chips) in Slot 1.
    >> tried to add a Kingston 256M DDR333 to Slot 2, but it gave me a blue
    >> screen (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA stop 0x00000050) while booting win
    >> xp. I further tried other combination and resulted as follows:
    >>
    >> 1. Swap the two RAM -> failed
    >> 2. Use Slot 1 and 3 instead -> failed
    >> 3. Only use Samsung and in Slot 1 (old config) -> OK
    >> 4. Only use Kingston and in Slot 1 -> OK
    >>
    >> I didn't change any BIOS setting and there is no jumper setting in the
    >> mb.
    >> The BIOS is F4. My win xp VM size setting is auto. Can anybody help me on
    >> this?
    >

    > You have to clean install XP to get it working - however, it's worth to
    > try a repair install from CD
    >

    > ---
    > Virus Database (VPS): 0510-0, 08/03/2005
    > Tested on: 11/03/2005 6:34:49 PM

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
    > SteveK wrote:
    >
    >> "Sender Jones" <sender@happy.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I have a Gigabyte GA-8IGX mb with 256M DDR333 (Samsung chips) in Slot 1.
    >>>tried to add a Kingston 256M DDR333 to Slot 2, but it gave me a blue
    >>>screen (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA stop 0x00000050) while booting win
    >>>xp. I further tried other combination and resulted as follows:
    >>>
    >>>1. Swap the two RAM -> failed
    >>>2. Use Slot 1 and 3 instead -> failed
    >>>3. Only use Samsung and in Slot 1 (old config) -> OK
    >>>4. Only use Kingston and in Slot 1 -> OK
    >>>
    >>>I didn't change any BIOS setting and there is no jumper setting in the
    >>>mb.
    >>>The BIOS is F4. My win xp VM size setting is auto. Can anybody help me on
    >>>this?
    >>

    >> You have to clean install XP to get it working - however, it's worth to
    >> try a repair install from CD
    >
    > Huh? You're trying to argue that XP has to be not only reinstalled but
    > *fresh* installed simply because one adds RAM to the system?

    Well, yes, still better than suspecting a hardware problem that possibly is
    none! His error does not sound like a hardware related problem..

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0510-1, 11/03/2005
    Tested on: 12/03/2005 8:34:25 AM
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    SteveK wrote:

    > "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>SteveK wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Sender Jones" <sender@happy.net> wrote in message

    >>>You have to clean install XP to get it working - however, it's worth to
    >>>try a repair install from CD
    >>
    >>Huh? You're trying to argue that XP has to be not only reinstalled but
    >>*fresh* installed simply because one adds RAM to the system?
    >>

    > Well, yes, still better than suspecting a hardware problem that possibly is
    > none! His error does not sound like a hardware related problem..

    Since it works with one stick, of either, but not both it sure does sound
    like a hardware, or BIOS config, problem.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    Baad Boy wrote:
    > Yo dude, see page 5 of your manual. Your MB only supports DDR266 (PC2100) &
    > DDR200 (PC1600). I suggest you trade the DDR333 for 2 sticks of DDR266 and
    > I'm sure you'll get a better reaction from your MB.

    Look up the terms "backward
    compatible"...dude...yo....yo....duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.....uhhuh....yo

    > "SteveK" <nospam@iPrimus.com.au> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Sender Jones" <sender@happy.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I have a Gigabyte GA-8IGX mb with 256M DDR333 (Samsung chips) in Slot 1.
    >>>tried to add a Kingston 256M DDR333 to Slot 2, but it gave me a blue
    >>>screen (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA stop 0x00000050) while booting win
    >>>xp. I further tried other combination and resulted as follows:
    >>>
    >>>1. Swap the two RAM -> failed
    >>>2. Use Slot 1 and 3 instead -> failed
    >>>3. Only use Samsung and in Slot 1 (old config) -> OK
    >>>4. Only use Kingston and in Slot 1 -> OK
    >>>
    >>>I didn't change any BIOS setting and there is no jumper setting in the
    >>>mb.
    >>>The BIOS is F4. My win xp VM size setting is auto. Can anybody help me on
    >>>this?
    >>

    >>You have to clean install XP to get it working - however, it's worth to
    >>try a repair install from CD
    >>

    >>---
    >>avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
    >>Virus Database (VPS): 0510-0, 08/03/2005
    >>Tested on: 11/03/2005 6:34:49 PM
    >>avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2004 ALWIL Software.

    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    Steve,

    Google is your friend. I suggest that when a person is changing memory and a
    little research on the Windows STOP code makes mention of things like
    corrupt memory, then that is what is happening.

    If the system were otherwise stable, no hardware change had been made, and
    memtest86 shows up no memory errors, then the other results returned by
    google will then be relevant. EG having Windows 2003 Server and a Lexar USB
    device...

    You remind me of a local dominant ISP - their RADIUS or DNS server has
    failed or is grossly overloaded, customer rings up and can't log on ==> ISP
    says to customer "Its a windows fault - re-install windows..."

    As a very general rule, if windows produces a stop code, then in all
    probability it is either a hardware fault, or a fault with a device driver
    you have recently installed or failed to install (EG SATA drivers on boot).

    - Tim

    > "David Maynard" <nospam@private.net> wrote in message
    >> SteveK wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Sender Jones" <sender@happy.net> wrote in message

    >>> You have to clean install XP to get it working - however, it's worth to
    >>> try a repair install from CD
    >>
    >> Huh? You're trying to argue that XP has to be not only reinstalled but
    >> *fresh* installed simply because one adds RAM to the system?
    >>

    > Well, yes, still better than suspecting a hardware problem that possibly
    > is
    > none! His error does not sound like a hardware related problem..
    >

    > ---
    > Virus Database (VPS): 0510-1, 11/03/2005
    > Tested on: 12/03/2005 8:34:25 AM

  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:d0t9q2$oga$1@lust.ihug.co.nz
    > Steve,
    >
    > Google is your friend. I suggest that when a person is changing memory
    > and a little research on the Windows STOP code makes mention of things
    > like corrupt memory, then that is what is happening.

    the particular stop code is worth nothing - google for it and u see it can
    be anything - from spyware, to SP problem, to whatever.

    > You remind me of a local dominant ISP - their RADIUS or DNS server has
    > failed or is grossly overloaded, customer rings up and can't log on ==>
    > ISP says to customer "Its a windows fault - re-install windows..."

    u are overdoing it here abit...
    I am fairly sure when he starts a memtest86 with both sticks it will be just
    fine provided the box is not overclocked in any way - once it is fine it is
    no longer a hardware issue. Then a repair install may be a good chance to
    get the BS away. If not a clean install will do. I see absolutely nothing
    wrong with my philosophy.

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0510-1, 11/03/2005
    Tested on: 12/03/2005 10:35:59 AM
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    You need to turn stop codes on their ears so to speak. Check them first,
    then look at how they apply to the most recent changes.

    They occur for a reason, and as best as the windows developers can report
    what is wrong and document it, they do. There is more than ample
    documentation on stop codes. Keep in mind also that bad memory (or
    timings/bios) can cause *any* type of stop code / program to fail. Many are
    incredibly unlikely, but still possible.

    One needs to always read the documentation in light of "most Recent
    Changes". This where you tip things up side down. Read the stop code details
    looking for How or If the stop code could be the result of the change. Then
    if possible, prove it by undoing the change.

    Reinstalling windows will not help unless you already have either disc
    corruptions (EG by SATA overclocking or dead HDD), or you have spyware /
    viruses.

    My comments about the ISP were tongue in cheek... But this example here is
    equal in illustrating how because of a memory config change, a re-install of
    windows will be nothing less than a time consuming pointless consumption of
    time.

    Memtest86 is only one of several utilities that should be used and it is not
    perfect. It can pass memory that is faulty. Regardless, memtest86 is still
    an extremely good utility to be trusted (99%).

    With XP64 around the corner, we can expect a new round of fresh hardware
    faults on existing"stable" x32 / x64 systems since the x64 will be used now
    when it has not been previously, so testing for stable h/w will be more
    important ( a major reason for release via OEM's and not retail). Whats
    more, each new release of windows seems to thrash systems harder during boot
    time than the previous version so the number of boot time crashes is going
    to bump up. My point here is that systems that previously appeared stable
    may not be stable enough.

    > "Tim" <Tim@NoSpam.com> wrote in message news:d0t9q2$oga$1@lust.ihug.co.nz
    >> Steve,
    >>
    >> Google is your friend. I suggest that when a person is changing memory
    >> and a little research on the Windows STOP code makes mention of things
    >> like corrupt memory, then that is what is happening.
    >
    > the particular stop code is worth nothing - google for it and u see it can
    > be anything - from spyware, to SP problem, to whatever.

    >> You remind me of a local dominant ISP - their RADIUS or DNS server has
    >> failed or is grossly overloaded, customer rings up and can't log on ==>
    >> ISP says to customer "Its a windows fault - re-install windows..."

    > u are overdoing it here abit...
    > I am fairly sure when he starts a memtest86 with both sticks it will be
    > just fine provided the box is not overclocked in any way - once it is fine
    > it is no longer a hardware issue. Then a repair install may be a good
    > chance to get the BS away. If not a clean install will do. I see
    > absolutely nothing wrong with my philosophy.
    >

    > ---
    > Virus Database (VPS): 0510-1, 11/03/2005
    > Tested on: 12/03/2005 10:35:59 AM

  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    Your two sticks are by diff manufacturers and thus may have differences
    in physical design, timing and quality that makes them incompatible with
    each other, even though they are both DDR333 and both 256meg. When
    possible, multiple sticks should be paired by mfr and specs....slight
    diffs like cl2 vs cl3 can cause incompatibility. Get matched sticks and
    it will work perfectly.

    For the naysayers on Kingston, I use their ValueRAM sticks (mainly
    PC3200)and they function perfectly in any board I've put them in and
    never cause problem even in dual channel mode. Hope it remain that way,
    hehe.

    Sender Jones wrote:
    > I have a Gigabyte GA-8IGX mb with 256M DDR333 (Samsung chips) in Slot 1. I
    > tried to add a Kingston 256M DDR333 to Slot 2, but it gave me a blue screen
    > (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA stop 0x00000050) while booting win xp. I
    > further tried other combination and resulted as follows:
    >
    > 1. Swap the two RAM -> failed
    > 2. Use Slot 1 and 3 instead -> failed
    > 3. Only use Samsung and in Slot 1 (old config) -> OK
    > 4. Only use Kingston and in Slot 1 -> OK
    >
    > I didn't change any BIOS setting and there is no jumper setting in the mb.
    > The BIOS is F4. My win xp VM size setting is auto. Can anybody help me on
    > this?

  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    If it is because of the FSB, can you explain why it works when 1 Kingston is
    used but fails with 2?

    &
    > DDR200 (PC1600). I suggest you trade the DDR333 for 2 sticks of DDR266
    and
    > I'm sure you'll get a better reaction from your MB.
    >

    > "SteveK" <nospam@iPrimus.com.au> wrote in message
    > > "Sender Jones" <sender@happy.net> wrote in message
    > >> I have a Gigabyte GA-8IGX mb with 256M DDR333 (Samsung chips) in Slot
    1.
    > >> tried to add a Kingston 256M DDR333 to Slot 2, but it gave me a blue
    > >> screen (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA stop 0x00000050) while booting win
    > >> xp. I further tried other combination and resulted as follows:
    > >>
    > >> 1. Swap the two RAM -> failed
    > >> 2. Use Slot 1 and 3 instead -> failed
    > >> 3. Only use Samsung and in Slot 1 (old config) -> OK
    > >> 4. Only use Kingston and in Slot 1 -> OK
    > >>
    > >> I didn't change any BIOS setting and there is no jumper setting in the
    > >> mb.
    > >> The BIOS is F4. My win xp VM size setting is auto. Can anybody help me
    on
    > >> this?
    > >

    > > You have to clean install XP to get it working - however, it's worth to
    > > try a repair install from CD
    > >

    > > ---
    > > avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
    > > Virus Database (VPS): 0510-0, 08/03/2005
    > > Tested on: 11/03/2005 6:34:49 PM
    > > avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2004 ALWIL Software.

  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:18:45 +0800, "Sender Jones"
    <sender@happy.net> wrote:

    >"Baad Boy" <Boybaad@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Yo dude, see page 5 of your manual. Your MB only supports DDR266 (PC2100)
    >&
    >> DDR200 (PC1600). I suggest you trade the DDR333 for 2 sticks of DDR266
    >and
    >> I'm sure you'll get a better reaction from your MB.
    >>

    >If it is because of the FSB, can you explain why it works when 1 Kingston is
    >used but fails with 2?

    It's not true, in fact it's exactly the opposite. If
    anything, a board that was marginally stable with PC2100
    would be as likely or moreso to be stable with PC2700
    (providing it supported same timings). PC2700 is NOT
    different memory, it simply is capable of faster speeds,
    guaranteed to do so. This in no way makes it any less
    suitable for use at DDR266.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

    spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com wrote:
    > Baad Boy wrote:
    > Look up the terms "backward
    > compatible"...dude...yo....yo....duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.....uhhuh....yo
    > --
    > spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo
    > I'm going to die rather sooner than I'd like. I tried to protect my
    > neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. Complications in
    > hospital following this resulted in a serious illness. I now need a bone
    > marrow transplant. Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow
    > transplant, too. Please volunteer to be a marrow donor:
    > http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    > http://www.marrow.org/

    Thanks

    gretchen.rinke3045@cidermail.com

Gigabyte Hardware Homebuilt Motherboards