adding DDR RAM (second problem)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

No able to resolve the PAGE_FAULT_ON_NONPAGED_AREA problem of my GA-8IGX
(see my other post on 7 March), I concluded that it may be incompatible with
the Samsung DDR. So I bought another Kingston DDR to work with the first
one. Then there is no more page fault problem, but still drop dead to
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL while booting win xp. Any body have similar
experience?

"Sender Jones" <sender@happy.net> wrote in message
> No able to resolve the PAGE_FAULT_ON_NONPAGED_AREA problem of my GA-8IGX
> (see my other post on 7 March), I concluded that it may be incompatible
> with
> the Samsung DDR. So I bought another Kingston DDR to work with the first
> one. Then there is no more page fault problem, but still drop dead to
> IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL while booting win xp. Any body have similar
> experience?

A bit more info on your system might help a bit. Are you overclocking? Have
you set your bios to default settings? Have you tried moving the memory
around to different slots? Have you removed the other stick and tried the
other two individually? There are a lot of things that can and do cause
those types of errors.

Ed

Tim

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

I second the vote for more details. Please specify your hardware config,
bios, and history with this issue.

The IRQL error invariably indicates a driver problem. IE bad device driver.
If you are getting random errors and the IRQL error is just one of them then
I would suspect ram.

When the irql error pops up on the blue screen, are any device drivers
listed on screen? They are files ending in .sys.
A device driver can be the victim of a fault (in another device driver) or
the cause (IE bad device driver). So starting with the top mentioed device
driver on screen, check you have the correct device driver for the mobo and
OS version. Let us know what drivers are listed in what order at the top of
the screen. (there can be an alpabetic listing of all drivers - we are not
interested in that).

If it is a graphics driver, you should be able to fix it in safe mode.
If it is a RAID / SATA device driver, then you may need to do a repair and
install the correct driver via F6. Alternatively if this is a new
installation check the drivers (and bios while your at it) you are using
during install - particularly those you supply by F6.

Going back one step. If memory is an issue, don't expect any OS to work
correctly :) Get memtest86 and run it overnight - if any errors appear then
these have to be resolved before a succssful OS installation can occur.

Check you manual re: FSB settings, ram slots, # ram sticks, and what
combinations are allowed. Sometimes if more is added you have to reduce the
FSB.

- Tim

"Ed Medlin" <ed@edmedlin.com> wrote in message

> "Sender Jones" <sender@happy.net> wrote in message
>> No able to resolve the PAGE_FAULT_ON_NONPAGED_AREA problem of my GA-8IGX
>> (see my other post on 7 March), I concluded that it may be incompatible
>> with
>> the Samsung DDR. So I bought another Kingston DDR to work with the first
>> one. Then there is no more page fault problem, but still drop dead to
>> IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL while booting win xp. Any body have similar
>> experience?
>>

> A bit more info on your system might help a bit. Are you overclocking?
> Have you set your bios to default settings? Have you tried moving the
> memory around to different slots? Have you removed the other stick and
> tried the other two individually? There are a lot of things that can and
> do cause those types of errors.
>
> Ed

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

I am not overclocking. My bios is set to default and auto. I have tried
different slots and as long as there is 1 RAM it works, with 2 it doesn't,
regardless of which slots. Whatever do you want to know?

"Ed Medlin" <ed@edmedlin.com> wrote in message

> "Sender Jones" <sender@happy.net> wrote in message
> > No able to resolve the PAGE_FAULT_ON_NONPAGED_AREA problem of my GA-8IGX
> > (see my other post on 7 March), I concluded that it may be incompatible
> > with
> > the Samsung DDR. So I bought another Kingston DDR to work with the first
> > one. Then there is no more page fault problem, but still drop dead to
> > IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL while booting win xp. Any body have similar
> > experience?
> >

> A bit more info on your system might help a bit. Are you overclocking?
Have
> you set your bios to default settings? Have you tried moving the memory
> around to different slots? Have you removed the other stick and tried the
> other two individually? There are a lot of things that can and do cause
> those types of errors.
>
> Ed

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

My first post may have been lost due to aging. I repost it here so that you
can understand my problem better:

I have a Gigabyte GA-8IGX mb with 256M DDR333 (Samsung chips) in Slot 1. I
tried to add a Kingston 256M DDR333 to Slot 2, but it gave me a blue
screen (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA stop 0x00000050) while booting win
xp. I further tried other combination and resulted as follows:

1. Swap the two RAM -> failed
2. Use Slot 1 and 3 instead -> failed
3. Only use Samsung and in Slot 1 (old config) -> OK
4. Only use Kingston and in Slot 1 -> OK

I didn't change any BIOS setting and there is no jumper setting in the mb.
The BIOS is F4. My win xp VM size setting is auto.

After searching in google for the problem, I upgraded my BIOS to F6 but
didn't help. I bought another Kingston DDR333 and use only the 2 Kingston,
then there is no page fault at the beginning of xp boot. But after logon it
ends up with another blue screen with "irql not less or equal". Boot in safe
mode, still the same. Unplug all PCI cards, still the same. So to conclude:
with one RAM in any slot it works, with two RAM of any brand and in any slot
it fails.

If it is a device driver problem, then why xp works with one RAM? If it is a
hardware problem, then why any one single RAM in any slot works?

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:34:09 +0800, "Sender Jones" <sender@happy.net>
wrote:

>My first post may have been lost due to aging. I repost it here so that you
>can understand my problem better:
>
>I have a Gigabyte GA-8IGX mb with 256M DDR333 (Samsung chips) in Slot 1. I
>tried to add a Kingston 256M DDR333 to Slot 2, but it gave me a blue
>screen (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA stop 0x00000050) while booting win
>xp. I further tried other combination and resulted as follows:
>
>1. Swap the two RAM -> failed
>2. Use Slot 1 and 3 instead -> failed
>3. Only use Samsung and in Slot 1 (old config) -> OK
>4. Only use Kingston and in Slot 1 -> OK
>
>I didn't change any BIOS setting and there is no jumper setting in the mb.
>The BIOS is F4. My win xp VM size setting is auto.
>
>After searching in google for the problem, I upgraded my BIOS to F6 but
>didn't help. I bought another Kingston DDR333 and use only the 2 Kingston,
>then there is no page fault at the beginning of xp boot. But after logon it
>ends up with another blue screen with "irql not less or equal". Boot in safe
>mode, still the same. Unplug all PCI cards, still the same. So to conclude:
>with one RAM in any slot it works, with two RAM of any brand and in any slot
>it fails.
>
>If it is a device driver problem, then why xp works with one RAM? If it is a
>hardware problem, then why any one single RAM in any slot works?

You are using two different's kind of brand, or the two Kingston
(witch i would think that one is a registered, or a kvr, or khx and
the other not). In result your experiencing booting problem... In my
opinion like the "guyram" at corsair said you should only use a same
brand and timing memory chip.

So check on your memory box to see if there is any differences.

> My first post may have been lost due to aging. I repost it here so
> that you can understand my problem better:
>
> I have a Gigabyte GA-8IGX mb with 256M DDR333 (Samsung chips) in Slot
> 1. I tried to add a Kingston 256M DDR333 to Slot 2, but it gave me a
> blue
> screen (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA stop 0x00000050) while booting win
> xp. I further tried other combination and resulted as follows:
>
> 1. Swap the two RAM -> failed
> 2. Use Slot 1 and 3 instead -> failed
> 3. Only use Samsung and in Slot 1 (old config) -> OK
> 4. Only use Kingston and in Slot 1 -> OK
>
> I didn't change any BIOS setting and there is no jumper setting in
> the mb. The BIOS is F4. My win xp VM size setting is auto.

snip

Sender Jones:

You didn't respond to my posts at all that I can see. Perhaps I
confused you. I'll state it as plain as I can. Your RAM is unstable
when you use any two of the three modules you have.

Reason(s)? There are some particulars about the configuration of the
ram itself in the DDR modules that matter. I'm not talking about what
DIMM slot you put the modules in. I'm talking about the modules
themselves. Even with the same brand with the same amount of memory
and the same speed rating, there are differences in available modules
that can cause instability if exactly matched modules aren't used in a
configuration the motherboard requires.
Kingston memory comes with enough information on the package itself to
determine if you're mixing odd types of modules. The nomenclature on
the chips themselves is probably meaningless to you.
http://america.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/FileList/Manual/manual_8igx_e_1101.pdf
See page 11 (of the Manual, not Acrobat pages), Installing Memory
Modules. There is a chart there that tells you what you can use and
what you can't.
Another poster asked you if you were using double sided modules and I've
not seen you answer this.
If you read the chart in your motherboards manual, you will see there
are combinations of memory that won't work with this motherboard.
Just buying Kingston OR Samsung OR Micron OR AnyKindAtAll that's 256 meg
and PC333 isn't always good enough a match. There are a number of RAM
layout arrangements in the CHIPS on the modules. The chart tells you
which you can use and with which others.
You have provided none of this information about your memory modules,
and it's important.
With the problem you're having, your evident inexperience, lack of
enough information, the people here in the newsgroups can only respond
with guesses and ideas for you to try.
I'm trying to help by showing you why more information about your memory
modules is important to the solution of this problem.
McG.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:22:26 +0800, "Sender Jones"
<sender@happy.net> wrote:

>I am not overclocking. My bios is set to default and auto. I have tried
>different slots and as long as there is 1 RAM it works, with 2 it doesn't,
>regardless of which slots. Whatever do you want to know?

See if there is a bios update for your board that addresses
memory compatibility, even if the supposed compatibility fix
doesn't mention your specific memory modules it might still
apply.

You might be going wrong by continuing to use the original
module. It could be that it's timings are borderline, that
pairing it with *any* other module, even exact same module
make/model/size/etc, simply won't work. In such cases the
best attempt to reuse that module would be manually setting
more relaxed (higher numbered) memory timings. Google for
guides to doing this.

It's not necessarily true what a couple of other posters
have implied, that you "need" matched memory. Plenty of
people don't use matched and have no problems. Any properly
working bios WILL set the timings as appropriate for the
highest common denominator per both modules, if your board
doesn't do this it has a poor bios. There is no technical
reaosn why a board would need matched modules, only a bios
that works properly and memory which can accept same timings
as the other/slower module needs.

Try manually setting the memory bus speed too, instead of
"auto". Set it synchronous to the FSB speed, I would
assume... you left out information which is generally a bad
thing to do, I suspect most people will not go back and look
through past posts again.

"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:22:26 +0800, "Sender Jones"
> <sender@happy.net> wrote:
>
>> I am not overclocking. My bios is set to default and auto. I have
>> tried different slots and as long as there is 1 RAM it works, with 2
>> it doesn't, regardless of which slots. Whatever do you want to know?
>>

> See if there is a bios update for your board that addresses
> memory compatibility, even if the supposed compatibility fix
> doesn't mention your specific memory modules it might still
> apply.
>
> You might be going wrong by continuing to use the original
> module. It could be that it's timings are borderline, that
> pairing it with *any* other module, even exact same module
> make/model/size/etc, simply won't work. In such cases the
> best attempt to reuse that module would be manually setting
> more relaxed (higher numbered) memory timings. Google for
> guides to doing this.
>
> It's not necessarily true what a couple of other posters
> have implied, that you "need" matched memory.

Then YOU go read the GA8IGX motherboard manual and see what you think
then.
McG.

McGrandpa wrote:
> "kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
>
>>On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 23:22:26 +0800, "Sender Jones"
>><sender@happy.net> wrote:
>>

>>>I am not overclocking. My bios is set to default and auto. I have
>>>tried different slots and as long as there is 1 RAM it works, with 2
>>>it doesn't, regardless of which slots. Whatever do you want to know?
>>>

>>See if there is a bios update for your board that addresses
>>memory compatibility, even if the supposed compatibility fix
>>doesn't mention your specific memory modules it might still
>>apply.
>>
>>You might be going wrong by continuing to use the original
>>module. It could be that it's timings are borderline, that
>>pairing it with *any* other module, even exact same module
>>make/model/size/etc, simply won't work. In such cases the
>>best attempt to reuse that module would be manually setting
>>more relaxed (higher numbered) memory timings. Google for
>>guides to doing this.
>>
>>It's not necessarily true what a couple of other posters
>>have implied, that you "need" matched memory.
>

> Then YOU go read the GA8IGX motherboard manual and see what you think
> then.
> McG.
>

>> Plenty of
>>people don't use matched and have no problems. Any properly
>>working bios WILL set the timings as appropriate for the
>>highest common denominator per both modules, if your board
>>doesn't do this it has a poor bios. There is no technical
>>reaosn why a board would need matched modules, only a bios
>>that works properly and memory which can accept same timings
>>as the other/slower module needs.
>>
>>Try manually setting the memory bus speed too, instead of
>>"auto". Set it synchronous to the FSB speed, I would
>>assume... you left out information which is generally a bad
>>thing to do, I suspect most people will not go back and look
>>through past posts again.

Put together a system based on GA-8KNXP, bought 2 matched 512 sticks from OCZ. System would sit and beep for two or three minutes before it would boot. Same deal as You, any one stick ran fine. Finally had enough, called OCZ, RMA'd them (they held my RMA for 2 months while my bank and I did dueling emails, great support!), got back 2 more sticks, system rock solid since.
I had thought the *matched stick* business was just a marketing ploy. I bought them because I wanted premium memory. I do not blame OCZ, they tested my second set in an 8KNXP they had in house as the 8KNXP is real particular regarding memory (Actually, from reading other posts and anecdotal info, it's the 875P chipset that's picky).

I also needed to use this machine while my OCZ stuff was ridin' in the back of a FedEx truck. What I did was bring the machine into the local computer shop & had them install the memory. They had to try a couple of different sticks before they got it stable. If You can do this, do it. Let the shop have all the hassle & You only pay for the sticks in the machine.

You could always donate the sticks You now have to a local school, or pass them on to a family member etc.

My 1/2 cent.

rick

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:25:42 GMT, "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

>> It's not necessarily true what a couple of other posters
>> have implied, that you "need" matched memory.
>
>Then YOU go read the GA8IGX motherboard manual and see what you think
>then.
>McG.

I can appreciate that it may state that. Often
manufacturers will "attempt" to provide info that makes it
easier for user and less chance of RMA for them. Dealing
with multiplie module variables is certainly not something
they could easily predict once a user DOES have a problem.
The remaining factor is what I mentioned previously, whether
the bios works properly to set timings both modules can use,
ie - conservative enough.

If someone was initially purchasing memory and planned for 2
modules, I'd certainly recommend a pair of matched modules
simply because they then know if both, together, are
suitable. Since this is a different situation and memory
bought at different times, even a manufacturer's "same"
series/size/etc of memory may not be exactly same as that
sold previously.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

Thanks for the reply. But the shops here don't have such good services.

"Geezah" <sandypondgang@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> [...]
regarding memory (Actually, from reading other posts and anecdotal info,
it's the 875P chipset that's picky).

> I also needed to use this machine while my OCZ stuff was ridin' in the
back of a FedEx truck. What I did was bring the machine into the local
computer shop & had them install the memory. They had to try a couple of
different sticks before they got it stable. If You can do this, do it. Let
the shop have all the hassle & You only pay for the sticks in the machine.

> You could always donate the sticks You now have to a local school, or pass
them on to a family member etc.

> My 1/2 cent.
>
> rick

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

Thanks for the reply. My 2 Kingston RAM were bought from the same shop one
day after the other, with same model number, same packing. Only the serial
number is different.

> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:25:42 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>

> >> It's not necessarily true what a couple of other posters
> >> have implied, that you "need" matched memory.
> >
> >Then YOU go read the GA8IGX motherboard manual and see what you think
> >then.
> >McG.
> >

> I can appreciate that it may state that. Often
> manufacturers will "attempt" to provide info that makes it
> easier for user and less chance of RMA for them. Dealing
> with multiplie module variables is certainly not something
> they could easily predict once a user DOES have a problem.
> The remaining factor is what I mentioned previously, whether
> the bios works properly to set timings both modules can use,
> ie - conservative enough.
>
> If someone was initially purchasing memory and planned for 2
> modules, I'd certainly recommend a pair of matched modules
> simply because they then know if both, together, are
> suitable. Since this is a different situation and memory
> bought at different times, even a manufacturer's "same"
> series/size/etc of memory may not be exactly same as that
> sold previously.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:25:42 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> It's not necessarily true what a couple of other posters
>>> have implied, that you "need" matched memory.
>>
>> Then YOU go read the GA8IGX motherboard manual and see what you think
>> then.
>> McG.
>>

> I can appreciate that it may state that. Often
> manufacturers will "attempt" to provide info that makes it
> easier for user and less chance of RMA for them. Dealing
> with multiplie module variables is certainly not something
> they could easily predict once a user DOES have a problem.
> The remaining factor is what I mentioned previously, whether
> the bios works properly to set timings both modules can use,
> ie - conservative enough.
>
> If someone was initially purchasing memory and planned for 2
> modules, I'd certainly recommend a pair of matched modules
> simply because they then know if both, together, are
> suitable. Since this is a different situation and memory
> bought at different times, even a manufacturer's "same"
> series/size/etc of memory may not be exactly same as that
> sold previously.

Well, you certainly have a far better chance of actually having matched
ram that will be stable together, but there is still no guarantee that
it will be perfect. Like another poster said next to this post; it'd
be good for the original poster with the problem to just carry his box
to a local computer shop and let them install ram there. Ram that they
select, not his, which we know already have problems.
I've built my own systems since '85, and I'm not ashamed to say at all
that I will be happily carrying my own main rig down to my favorite
local computer shop this weekend and getting the owner to match me up
with another gig of PC3200 (2 x 512m dimms) for a total of 4 X 512 Meg
dimms running in dual channel. I have a GA8-IPE1000-G, fairly new, with
a gig of ram that's about a year old now. I do commiserate with the
original poster, I've been through that same situation with sticks of
ram not working well together, but any one by themselves work perfectly.
And, as you say, an entire series of mainboards can be very picky about
it because of the chipset they have.
I guess I'm very fortunate, the guy that owns the computer shop I
frequent enjoys ironing out these little glitches in hardware. He's
seen this sort of issue many times over the years. Far more than I have
:) So I'll take my $200 and box over to him....and when I leave, me
and XP Pro will both be happier.
Why won't I just run to a store and buy it packaged off the shelf?
Already been looking...none of the stores have a match to these two
sticks I already have :)
McG.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

well i just spent $69(incl shipping) for 2x elixir 512mb pc3200(cl2.5
frowns) in a ga7-n400 pro2 rev2
btw good enough to run and mixed with a patriot 512mb w/XBL(samsung)
and running 11.5x200 or 2300mHz stable and chillin HeHe

"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in news:xwI0e.28836
$Ux.15551@tornado.texas.rr.com: