disk volumes

In disk management I cannot see my disk volumes as is reported at boot
up by the computer; they are all out of order. I have 2 SATA and 1 IDE
hard drive with a zip and a dvd. The SATA drives should be 1 and 2.
Windows knows this because I can chose which drive to boot with
boot.ini. But disk management reports the first SATA as disk2, the zip
as disk 0. The SATA is partitioned as C:, D:, E:; and boots thus.
Interestingly when I unplugged the zip the computer would not boot -
strange. I know everything is working so why mess with it; I just like
things explained that are weird.

--
stevedef

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 20:47:41 +0100, stevedef
<stevedef.1ewup1@pcbanter.net> wrote:

>In disk management I cannot see my disk volumes as is reported at boot
>up by the computer; they are all out of order. I have 2 SATA and 1 IDE
>hard drive with a zip and a dvd. The SATA drives should be 1 and 2.
>Windows knows this because I can chose which drive to boot with
>boot.ini. But disk management reports the first SATA as disk2, the zip
>as disk 0. The SATA is partitioned as C:, D:, E:; and boots thus.
>Interestingly when I unplugged the zip the computer would not boot -
>strange. I know everything is working so why mess with it; I just like
>things explained that are weird.

This is normal, as removable drives such as Zips tend to be detected
-before- fixed disks such as the Sata (or Pata) drives.

Peter Hutchison
http://www.pcguru.plus.com