Recover Lost Partition

Norton System Works 2005 has a utility called Go Back that did not advise
its users of the need to disable Windows System Restore. Unfortunately it
crashed in the middle of a "Go Back" providing a message
[gb_ui_support(1147)] and rendering the hard drive unaccessible.

The 160G drive had 4 partitions, with partition 0 as the C drive, and
D-E-and F thereafter. Each partition was 40G. Windows had to be
reinstalled on the drive, but it only reformatted and reinstalled to the 40G
C drive. How can I recover the other three 40G partitions - I have a 160G
drive that windows only sees 40G?

I understand that I can re-partition without losing the data still in the
partitions originally put on the drive when it was first installed. How???

Thx.

You can not repartition an area where there were other partitions (now lost)
and expect to get back your information.

--

Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Robert McManaway" <rmcmanaw@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> Norton System Works 2005 has a utility called Go Back that did not advise
> its users of the need to disable Windows System Restore. Unfortunately it
> crashed in the middle of a "Go Back" providing a message
> [gb_ui_support(1147)] and rendering the hard drive unaccessible.
>
> The 160G drive had 4 partitions, with partition 0 as the C drive, and
> D-E-and F thereafter. Each partition was 40G. Windows had to be
> reinstalled on the drive, but it only reformatted and reinstalled to the
> 40G
> C drive. How can I recover the other three 40G partitions - I have a 160G
> drive that windows only sees 40G?
>
> I understand that I can re-partition without losing the data still in the
> partitions originally put on the drive when it was first installed.
> How???
>
> Thx.

Robert;
Changing a partition results in loss of data unless a proper tool is
used.
The data may be recovered with a tool designed for that purpose:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/datrec.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Robert McManaway" <rmcmanaw@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> Norton System Works 2005 has a utility called Go Back that did not
> advise
> its users of the need to disable Windows System Restore.
> Unfortunately it
> crashed in the middle of a "Go Back" providing a message
> [gb_ui_support(1147)] and rendering the hard drive unaccessible.
>
> The 160G drive had 4 partitions, with partition 0 as the C drive,
> and
> D-E-and F thereafter. Each partition was 40G. Windows had to be
> reinstalled on the drive, but it only reformatted and reinstalled to
> the 40G
> C drive. How can I recover the other three 40G partitions - I have
> a 160G
> drive that windows only sees 40G?
>
> I understand that I can re-partition without losing the data still
> in the
> partitions originally put on the drive when it was first installed.
> How???
>
> Thx.

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

Robert McManaway wrote:
> Norton System Works 2005 has a utility called Go Back that did not advise
> its users of the need to disable Windows System Restore. Unfortunately it
> crashed in the middle of a "Go Back" providing a message
> [gb_ui_support(1147)] and rendering the hard drive unaccessible.
>
> The 160G drive had 4 partitions, with partition 0 as the C drive, and
> D-E-and F thereafter. Each partition was 40G. Windows had to be
> reinstalled on the drive, but it only reformatted and reinstalled to the 40G
> C drive. How can I recover the other three 40G partitions - I have a 160G
> drive that windows only sees 40G?
>
> I understand that I can re-partition without losing the data still in the
> partitions originally put on the drive when it was first installed. How???
>
> Thx.

There are several utilities that will allow you do repartition you
drive. I choose Partition Magic. It is about 70.00 US but it is quick
and and easy.

Good luck,
Rick