Not Seeing USB 2.0 ports

I have an hp pavillion 533 w/6 usb2.0 ports. I recently pluged my
plextor DVD burner in only to get the "high speed usb device plugged
into a non high speed port". I have been using this device in this
port for about a year with no problems until now.

I have no external hub. I plug directly into the computer.
Device manager shows the 2.0 hub as being enebled and working.
Device manager shows the plextor being plugged into a usb root hub
that is not under the usb 2.0 root hub.

I have tried unplugging all usb connections, uninstalling all usb
connections and then rebooting. It installs all usb ports both 2.0
and standard.

When I plug in the plextor, same messasge. When I click on the
message it says I have 6 ports open and to plug into one of those. I
have tried all 6 physical ports with the same results.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
9 answers Last reply
More about ports

    I've got the same problem - with an IBM ThinkPad T40p and an external
    harddrive. Even more, seems to be the exact same messages: 6 alleged USB 2.0
    ports (my notebook has only 2 ...), several host controllers in the device
    manager, one of which is USB 2.0, the other three are "standard".

    It seems to me that this problem only appeared afer installing SP2. So far,
    I haven't found a solution ...

    oldeja wrote:
    > I have an hp pavillion 533 w/6 usb2.0 ports. I recently pluged my
    > plextor DVD burner in only to get the "high speed usb device plugged
    > into a non high speed port". I have been using this device in this
    > port for about a year with no problems until now.

    Did you recently install SP2?

    > I have no external hub. I plug directly into the computer.
    > Device manager shows the 2.0 hub as being enebled and working.
    > Device manager shows the plextor being plugged into a usb root hub
    > that is not under the usb 2.0 root hub.
    >
    > I have tried unplugging all usb connections, uninstalling all usb
    > connections and then rebooting. It installs all usb ports both 2.0
    > and standard.
    >
    > When I plug in the plextor, same messasge. When I click on the
    > message it says I have 6 ports open and to plug into one of those. I
    > have tried all 6 physical ports with the same results.
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Have you visited the HP website for updated device drivers for XP?

    These are proprietary issues. ie., HP and IBM.

    "oldeja" <oldeja@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    |I have an hp pavillion 533 w/6 usb2.0 ports. I recently pluged my
    | plextor DVD burner in only to get the "high speed usb device plugged
    | into a non high speed port". I have been using this device in this
    | port for about a year with no problems until now.
    |
    | I have no external hub. I plug directly into the computer.
    | Device manager shows the 2.0 hub as being enebled and working.
    | Device manager shows the plextor being plugged into a usb root hub
    | that is not under the usb 2.0 root hub.
    |
    | I have tried unplugging all usb connections, uninstalling all usb
    | connections and then rebooting. It installs all usb ports both 2.0
    | and standard.
    |
    | When I plug in the plextor, same messasge. When I click on the
    | message it says I have 6 ports open and to plug into one of those. I
    | have tried all 6 physical ports with the same results.
    |
    | Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Same problem here....I have an HP Printer, Microtek Flatbed scanner, Minolta
    Film scanner and a Seagate external 120Gb drive. Al worked perfectly with XP
    Home SP1. After I upgraded to SP2 the Minolta Film Scanner and external
    drive show up as "Unknown Devices". Both these are USB 2 devices. If I
    remove the Enhanced USB controller using Device Hardware Manager, the system
    recognizes both USB 2 devices but now only run at USB 1.1 speeds. Once and
    only once, I did something which caused them to work but failed again after
    I rebooted the system. I have not been able to get them working again.
    Unfortunately, I can't remove SP2 and return to SP1 to try it.

    I'm running a Matsonic motherboard with SiS chip set. Given this thread and
    all the other folks having USB issues after installing SP2, I highly doubt
    this is vendor specific. Since USB drivers are supplied by Microsoft, I
    believe this is in their court.

    This is MOST FRUSTRATING. I was counting on the external drive for backup.

    I think whoever solves this mystery will be a "geek god!".

    Lucio

    Lucio Cicuto wrote:
    > Same problem here....I have an HP Printer, Microtek Flatbed scanner,
    > Minolta Film scanner and a Seagate external 120Gb drive. Al worked
    > perfectly with XP Home SP1. After I upgraded to SP2 the Minolta Film
    > Scanner and external drive show up as "Unknown Devices". Both these
    > are USB 2 devices. If I remove the Enhanced USB controller using
    > Device Hardware Manager, the system recognizes both USB 2 devices but
    > now only run at USB 1.1 speeds. Once and only once, I did something
    > which caused them to work but failed again after I rebooted the
    > system. I have not been able to get them working again.
    > Unfortunately, I can't remove SP2 and return to SP1 to try it.

    Why not?

    > I'm running a Matsonic motherboard with SiS chip set.

    Did you check the hardware mfr's website for updated drivers?

    > Given this
    > thread and all the other folks having USB issues after installing
    > SP2, I highly doubt this is vendor specific. Since USB drivers are
    > supplied by Microsoft, I believe this is in their court.

    Device drivers should always be gotten from the source (hardware mfr) -
    Windows ones often aren't the best ones, as you're seeing.

    > This is MOST FRUSTRATING. I was counting on the external drive for
    > backup.
    >
    > I think whoever solves this mystery will be a "geek god!".

    No mystery!

    > Lucio
    >
    > "oldeja" <oldeja@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I have an hp pavillion 533 w/6 usb2.0 ports. I recently pluged my
    >> plextor DVD burner in only to get the "high speed usb device plugged
    >> into a non high speed port". I have been using this device in this
    >> port for about a year with no problems until now.
    >>
    >> I have no external hub. I plug directly into the computer.
    >> Device manager shows the 2.0 hub as being enebled and working.
    >> Device manager shows the plextor being plugged into a usb root hub
    >> that is not under the usb 2.0 root hub.
    >>
    >> I have tried unplugging all usb connections, uninstalling all usb
    >> connections and then rebooting. It installs all usb ports both 2.0
    >> and standard.
    >>
    >> When I plug in the plextor, same messasge. When I click on the
    >> message it says I have 6 ports open and to plug into one of those. I
    >> have tried all 6 physical ports with the same results.

    Why can't I go back to SP1? I realized the problem 2-3 weeks after I
    upgraded. Everything else works and I thought this would be easy to resolve.
    If I would have realized it right away, I would have gone back.

    Did I check the manufacturer's web site? Yes. So far everything read both
    from users and manufacturers is that Microsoft provide USB drivers. No one
    else. I even tried getting drivers from Belkin and after I installed them,
    they turned out to be the Microsoft drivers.

    The Seagate external 120Gb HDD installation instructions specifically say I
    don't need drivers because they are supported by Win XP. There wasn't even a
    disk included in the box.

    Many individuals suggest "uninstall all USB device drivers and plug them
    back in 1 at a time". I tried that and still no go.

    One thing I'd like to try is to disable "plug'n'play, uninstall all the
    drivers, and reinstall 1 device at a time starting with the USB 2 devices to
    see if that does it. Except I don't know how to temporarily or permanently
    disable PNP.

    If this is not a mystery, then why are so many of us so confused?

    Lucio

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

    Lucio Cicuto wrote:
    > Why can't I go back to SP1? I realized the problem 2-3 weeks after I
    > upgraded. Everything else works and I thought this would be easy to
    > resolve. If I would have realized it right away, I would have gone
    > back.

    You still can uninstall SP2....look in add/remove programs.

    > Did I check the manufacturer's web site? Yes. So far everything read
    > both from users and manufacturers is that Microsoft provide USB
    > drivers.

    The motherboard mfr should have their own...

    > No one else. I even tried getting drivers from Belkin and
    > after I installed them, they turned out to be the Microsoft drivers.

    You may need updated drivers for the USB ports themselves, not for the
    devices. They're detecting a non usb 2.0 port, even though they're usb 2.0
    capable. Did you see http://www.matsonic.com/new/download_sis.htm? Try
    updating your BIOS while you're at it?

    > The Seagate external 120Gb HDD installation instructions specifically
    > say I don't need drivers because they are supported by Win XP. There
    > wasn't even a disk included in the box.
    >
    > Many individuals suggest "uninstall all USB device drivers and plug
    > them back in 1 at a time". I tried that and still no go.
    >
    > One thing I'd like to try is to disable "plug'n'play, uninstall all
    > the drivers, and reinstall 1 device at a time starting with the USB 2
    > devices to see if that does it. Except I don't know how to
    > temporarily or permanently disable PNP.
    >
    > If this is not a mystery, then why are so many of us so confused?

    I'm confused by a lot, but I usually figure I'm missing something rather
    than deciding it's one of those unsolvable mysteries of the cosmos. That
    said, I gave up running SP2 on this here laptop (Thinkpad A20m) because I
    had too many hardware problems I couldn't resolve. On some
    hardware/installations it's worked like a champ. SP2 is *huge* in what it
    contains...it's essentially a new OS in many ways.

    > Lucio
    >
    > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
    > message news:OlW3pO1vEHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    >> Lucio Cicuto wrote:
    >>> Same problem here....I have an HP Printer, Microtek Flatbed scanner,
    >>> Minolta Film scanner and a Seagate external 120Gb drive. Al worked
    >>> perfectly with XP Home SP1. After I upgraded to SP2 the Minolta Film
    >>> Scanner and external drive show up as "Unknown Devices". Both these
    >>> are USB 2 devices. If I remove the Enhanced USB controller using
    >>> Device Hardware Manager, the system recognizes both USB 2 devices
    >>> but now only run at USB 1.1 speeds. Once and only once, I did
    >>> something which caused them to work but failed again after I
    >>> rebooted the system. I have not been able to get them working again.
    >>> Unfortunately, I can't remove SP2 and return to SP1 to try it.
    >>
    >> Why not?
    >>>
    >>> I'm running a Matsonic motherboard with SiS chip set.
    >>
    >> Did you check the hardware mfr's website for updated drivers?
    >>
    >>> Given this
    >>> thread and all the other folks having USB issues after installing
    >>> SP2, I highly doubt this is vendor specific. Since USB drivers are
    >>> supplied by Microsoft, I believe this is in their court.
    >>
    >> Device drivers should always be gotten from the source (hardware
    >> mfr) - Windows ones often aren't the best ones, as you're seeing.
    >>>
    >>> This is MOST FRUSTRATING. I was counting on the external drive for
    >>> backup.
    >>>
    >>> I think whoever solves this mystery will be a "geek god!".
    >>
    >> No mystery!
    >>>
    >>> Lucio
    >>>
    >>> "oldeja" <oldeja@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    Lanwench ...thanks for the suggestions. I had done the BIOS updates and I'm
    not brave enough to remove SP2 at this time. I rely on my system too much to
    risk it.

    About 4 days ago, I plugged in the external USB drive to see if I can fix
    this problem and it WORKED as USB 2. It temporarily knocked out my USB HP
    printer. I reset it and it worked. I took the opportunity to back all my
    files up. I have not turned the system off since then. When I do, I'll keep
    my fingers crossed.

    One of the last things I tried was to download USB drivers from Belkin
    (don't ask)! I now have USB Enhanced Microsoft driver dated 6/1/2002 and USB
    Root Hub Microsoft driver dated 7/1/2001. I didn't note them down but I
    recall the drivers were more recent after doing the SP2 upgrade.

    ....anyway, the big test will be when I reboot the system !

    Lucio

Device Manager USB Windows XP