Closed

USB devices recognized but error code 39 (no driver instal..

I just resolved an issue with my usb storage sticks that has plagued me for a
week. My usb devices work fine except for my storage sticks that use to work
ok. When I tried uninstalling the usb device and then scanning to allow the
system to self install, the system would crash. I applied the fix
(WindowsXP-KB822603-x86-ENU) then did the unistall and scan again. All is
woking fine now and the driver usbstor.sys version 5.1.2600.1100 is installed
as it should be. This driver seems to have been removed or corrupted by
another MS updated that I installed last week but I don't know which one.
5 answers Last reply
More about devices recognized error code driver instal

    Funny! My file version is 5.1.2600.2180 from SP2 (I guess).

    --

    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "tolken501" <tolken501@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just resolved an issue with my usb storage sticks that has plagued me for
    > week. My usb devices work fine except for my storage sticks that use to
    > work
    > ok. When I tried uninstalling the usb device and then scanning to allow
    > the
    > system to self install, the system would crash. I applied the fix
    > (WindowsXP-KB822603-x86-ENU) then did the unistall and scan again. All is
    > woking fine now and the driver usbstor.sys version 5.1.2600.1100 is
    > installed
    > as it should be. This driver seems to have been removed or corrupted by
    > another MS updated that I installed last week but I don't know which one.

    I did not upgrade to SP2 since there seems to be a lot of problems with it
    and I have not too many problems with SP1.

    "Richard Urban" wrote:

    > Funny! My file version is 5.1.2600.2180 from SP2 (I guess).
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards:
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    >

    > "tolken501" <tolken501@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I just resolved an issue with my usb storage sticks that has plagued me for
    > > week. My usb devices work fine except for my storage sticks that use to
    > > work
    > > ok. When I tried uninstalling the usb device and then scanning to allow
    > > the
    > > system to self install, the system would crash. I applied the fix
    > > (WindowsXP-KB822603-x86-ENU) then did the unistall and scan again. All is
    > > woking fine now and the driver usbstor.sys version 5.1.2600.1100 is
    > > installed
    > > as it should be. This driver seems to have been removed or corrupted by
    > > another MS updated that I installed last week but I don't know which one.

  3. OK after wasting an entire day on this stupid stuff, I've finally found a solution and i registered just for this posting(So you don't have to go through the same)

    run regedit.

    goto:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056- 444553540000

    Delete:UpperFilter,LowerFilter

    disable and enable your devices from device manager.
  4. This does not work in all situations. A corrupt rootkit (especially Sony's) can cause this. You can download an uninstaller from Sony's website if simply removing the filters doesn't work.
  5. This topic has been closed by The_Prophecy

Storage USB Devices Windows XP