  • USB
  • Devices
  • Windows XP
October 30, 2004 11:39:28 AM

I've had a 4 port 2.0 high speed USB hub connected to my computer for almost
a year now without any problems, then I noticed the other day that the
devices hooked to this hub were no longer working. I went to the device
manager and discovered my hub was now listed as an "unknown device".
Thinking the worse I bought a new Belkin 4 port 2.0 high speed hub and my
system is telling me the same thing. Repeated attempts to update the
drivers and "add new hardware" have failed. Any suggestions on correcting
this problem?

Thanks,
Brian

PS - all devices hooked to the hub operate properly when connected directly
to my pc

More about : usb hub failed

October 30, 2004 3:22:44 PM

"Brian Austin" <baustin66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o 3XuSLkvEHA.2624@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
| I've had a 4 port 2.0 high speed USB hub connected to my computer for
almost
| a year now without any problems, then I noticed the other day that the
| devices hooked to this hub were no longer working. I went to the device
| manager and discovered my hub was now listed as an "unknown device".
| Thinking the worse I bought a new Belkin 4 port 2.0 high speed hub and my
| system is telling me the same thing. Repeated attempts to update the
| drivers and "add new hardware" have failed. Any suggestions on correcting
| this problem?
|
| Thanks,
| Brian
|
| PS - all devices hooked to the hub operate properly when connected
directly
| to my pc

Seems to me that you answered your own question with your PS....
October 30, 2004 10:49:39 PM

since you say the hub worked previously, you must have sp1 installed... did
you also ownload sp2, which has caused similiar problems?
"Brian Austin" <baustin66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o 3XuSLkvEHA.2624@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> I've had a 4 port 2.0 high speed USB hub connected to my computer for
almost
> a year now without any problems, then I noticed the other day that the
> devices hooked to this hub were no longer working. I went to the device
> manager and discovered my hub was now listed as an "unknown device".
> Thinking the worse I bought a new Belkin 4 port 2.0 high speed hub and my
> system is telling me the same thing. Repeated attempts to update the
> drivers and "add new hardware" have failed. Any suggestions on correcting
> this problem?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian
>
> PS - all devices hooked to the hub operate properly when connected
directly
> to my pc

October 30, 2004 11:43:12 PM

Thanks for the reply, however, it doesn't explain why the hubs no longer
works or how to correct the problem. Any assistance with these problems will
be greatly appreciated.

"Frank" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message

> "Brian Austin" <baustin66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o 3XuSLkvEHA.2624@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> | I've had a 4 port 2.0 high speed USB hub connected to my computer for
> almost
> | a year now without any problems, then I noticed the other day that the
> | devices hooked to this hub were no longer working. I went to the device
> | manager and discovered my hub was now listed as an "unknown device".
> | Thinking the worse I bought a new Belkin 4 port 2.0 high speed hub and
> my
> | system is telling me the same thing. Repeated attempts to update the
> | drivers and "add new hardware" have failed. Any suggestions on
> correcting
> | this problem?
> |
> | Thanks,
> | Brian
> |
> | PS - all devices hooked to the hub operate properly when connected
> directly
> | to my pc
>
> Seems to me that you answered your own question with your PS....

October 31, 2004 4:22:32 AM

Take the hub and devices to a friend. See if they work. Since
it worked for a year and don't work now it would seem that the
hub is broken.

| Thanks for the reply, however, it doesn't explain why the hubs no longer
| works or how to correct the problem. Any assistance with these problems
will
| be greatly appreciated.
|
| "Frank" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message
| >
| > "Brian Austin" <baustin66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > news:o 3XuSLkvEHA.2624@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
| > | I've had a 4 port 2.0 high speed USB hub connected to my computer for
| > almost
| > | a year now without any problems, then I noticed the other day that the
| > | devices hooked to this hub were no longer working. I went to the
device
| > | manager and discovered my hub was now listed as an "unknown device".
| > | Thinking the worse I bought a new Belkin 4 port 2.0 high speed hub and
| > my
| > | system is telling me the same thing. Repeated attempts to update the
| > | drivers and "add new hardware" have failed. Any suggestions on
| > correcting
| > | this problem?
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > | Brian
| > |
| > | PS - all devices hooked to the hub operate properly when connected
| > directly
| > | to my pc
| >
| > Seems to me that you answered your own question with your PS....

Anonymous
October 31, 2004 9:53:38 AM

Did that, which is why I bought a new hub, and am experiencing the same
problem with the new hub as with the old one.

> Take the hub and devices to a friend. See if they work. Since
> it worked for a year and don't work now it would seem that the
> hub is broken.
>
> "Brian Austin" <baustin66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> | Thanks for the reply, however, it doesn't explain why the hubs no longer
> | works or how to correct the problem. Any assistance with these problems
> will
> | be greatly appreciated.
> |
> | "Frank" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message
> | >
> | > "Brian Austin" <baustin66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> | > news:o 3XuSLkvEHA.2624@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> for
> | > almost
> the
> device
> and
> | > my
> the
> | > correcting
> | > |
> | > |
> | > directly
> | >
> | > Seems to me that you answered your own question with your PS....

Anonymous
October 31, 2004 12:09:15 PM

yes, sp2 was installed a few weeks ago and has worked without any problems
until now (i also have laptop with sp2 installed, i connected the hub to it
and everything worked fine). does ms have a patch or fix for this problem?
thanks
"Sandman" <peterf41@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> since you say the hub worked previously, you must have sp1 installed...
> did
> you also ownload sp2, which has caused similiar problems?
> "Brian Austin" <baustin66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o 3XuSLkvEHA.2624@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> I've had a 4 port 2.0 high speed USB hub connected to my computer for
> almost
>> a year now without any problems, then I noticed the other day that the
>> devices hooked to this hub were no longer working. I went to the device
>> manager and discovered my hub was now listed as an "unknown device".
>> Thinking the worse I bought a new Belkin 4 port 2.0 high speed hub and my
>> system is telling me the same thing. Repeated attempts to update the
>> drivers and "add new hardware" have failed. Any suggestions on
>> correcting
>> this problem?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Brian
>>
>> PS - all devices hooked to the hub operate properly when connected
> directly
>> to my pc

October 31, 2004 3:51:20 PM

Several ways to trouble shoot this problem.
disconnect the hub.
uninstall the root hub that the hub was on.
reeboot *** run sfc /scannow *** reboot

| yes, sp2 was installed a few weeks ago and has worked without any
problems
| until now (i also have laptop with sp2 installed, i connected the hub
to it
| and everything worked fine). does ms have a patch or fix for this
problem?
| thanks
| "Sandman" <peterf41@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
| > since you say the hub worked previously, you must have sp1
installed...
| > did
| > you also ownload sp2, which has caused similiar problems?
| > "Brian Austin" <baustin66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > news:o 3XuSLkvEHA.2624@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
| >> I've had a 4 port 2.0 high speed USB hub connected to my computer
for
| > almost
| >> a year now without any problems, then I noticed the other day that
the
| >> devices hooked to this hub were no longer working. I went to the
device
| >> manager and discovered my hub was now listed as an "unknown
device".
| >> Thinking the worse I bought a new Belkin 4 port 2.0 high speed hub
and my
| >> system is telling me the same thing. Repeated attempts to update
the
| >> drivers and "add new hardware" have failed. Any suggestions on
| >> correcting
| >> this problem?
| >>
| >> Thanks,
| >> Brian
| >>
| >> PS - all devices hooked to the hub operate properly when connected
| > directly
| >> to my pc
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 9:39:57 PM

This seems like a stupid idea, but try it anyway - plug the hub into a
different USB port and see if it works then. The ports can, and do
(rarely, but I've seen it) burn out.

If the hub works on a diffent USB port in your system, it's the USB
port.

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 06:53:38 +0100, "Brian Austin"
<baustin66@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Did that, which is why I bought a new hub, and am experiencing the same
>problem with the new hub as with the old one.
>
>"Frank" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message
>> Take the hub and devices to a friend. See if they work. Since
>> it worked for a year and don't work now it would seem that the
>> hub is broken.
>>
>> "Brian Austin" <baustin66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> | Thanks for the reply, however, it doesn't explain why the hubs no longer
>> | works or how to correct the problem. Any assistance with these problems
>> will
>> | be greatly appreciated.
>> |
>> | "Frank" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message

>> for
>> the
>> device
>> and
>> the
>> | > |
>> | > |

Anonymous
November 1, 2004 9:28:27 AM

not a stupid idea, it's actually the first thing I tried when the hub went
bad. I've concluded that winxp cannot/will not identify the hub for what it
is and therefore will not assign the appropriate driver for it. repeated
attempts to uninstall, add new hardware, etc... have all failed. I know my
way around a computer but have reached my technical limit with this problem.
thanks

"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
news:D stao0hu48ustoj1pbpi88cq9nj1hmuolf@4ax.com...
> This seems like a stupid idea, but try it anyway - plug the hub into a
> different USB port and see if it works then. The ports can, and do
> (rarely, but I've seen it) burn out.
>
> If the hub works on a diffent USB port in your system, it's the USB
> port.
>
> On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 06:53:38 +0100, "Brian Austin"
> <baustin66@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Did that, which is why I bought a new hub, and am experiencing the same
>>problem with the new hub as with the old one.
>>
>>"Frank" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message
>>> Take the hub and devices to a friend. See if they work. Since
>>> it worked for a year and don't work now it would seem that the
>>> hub is broken.
>>>
>>> "Brian Austin" <baustin66@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> longer
>>> problems
>>> will

>>> for
>>> the
>>> device
>>> device".
>>> and
>>> the
>>> | > |
>>> | > |

Anonymous
November 1, 2004 2:44:36 PM

USB poowered HUBs or do the hubs have their own power adapter?

It couild be that the USB ports are not providing enough power for the hubs
to work.

!