External USB2.0 HDD enclosure problems.. Please Help!

October 30, 2004 8:34:02 AM

I have recently bought a second 2.5" hdd for my laptop, formatted and now
running win XP sp1 on it, however when i plug in my external HDD i get :
"found new hardware - Atapi-6 bridge controller"
windows tries to install the software for the device but in the end it stops
saying that the drivers could not be found...
i used this external drive before and it never needed any software install,
i used to plug it in and it would show up in explorer...
at the moment, i have my primary internal 2.5" as device 0 (jumber settings)
secondary internal 2.5" HDD as device 1
and the external HDD i believe is set to cable select (i could be wrong tho)
if anyones has a clue on what could be wrong please help me...i have very
important database files on the external hdd that i need to transfer to my
new internal hdd.
Thanks in Advance
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 8:20:45 AM

Usually drives have to be set to master when used in external enclosures..

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"Evan" <Evan@discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti viestissä
news:D D41E9A5-79FF-4345-8A4C-6CD81BDFD2A9@microsoft.com...
> I have recently bought a second 2.5" hdd for my laptop, formatted and now
> running win XP sp1 on it, however when i plug in my external HDD i get :
> "found new hardware - Atapi-6 bridge controller"
> windows tries to install the software for the device but in the end it
stops
> saying that the drivers could not be found...
> i used this external drive before and it never needed any software
install,
> i used to plug it in and it would show up in explorer...
> at the moment, i have my primary internal 2.5" as device 0 (jumber
settings)
> secondary internal 2.5" HDD as device 1
> and the external HDD i believe is set to cable select (i could be wrong
tho)
> if anyones has a clue on what could be wrong please help me...i have very
> important database files on the external hdd that i need to transfer to my
> new internal hdd.
> Thanks in Advance
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 2:41:19 AM

I just got a Grandtech (tw) USB to IDE adapter, it does not
work with a WD disk unless the jumper is _not_ inserted at all.
Jumper in master or any other position causes it to stop working.
--PA

!