Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

automatically configuring wireless

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 1, 2005 12:45:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Does anybody know of a utility that will assist in populating wireless
configurations with 802.1x? If the configuration is the same for 500 users
I do not want to sit there and manually configure 500 machines. I just want
to do it once and have a utility do the rest. All of this seems to be tied
into the wireless zero configuration service somehow? Any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 1, 2005 6:55:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Hi Dave,

There are a couple of different ways you can configure the Wireless Zero
Configuration client without using the UI. The first is by using the
Wireless Network Setup Wizard with a flash drive. There is a Cable-Guy
article describing how to use the wizard to do this here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cabl...

There is also an API which can be used by developers to write a program
to add network profiles to the Wireless Zero Configuration client. The API
is part of the DDK and can accept Wireless Zero Configuration settings in
the form of XML data. Here is a link to the API in MSDN:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...

Best of luck,
Chris Gual [MSFT]
--
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"deheinz1" <deheinz1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D D92EA70-2FB0-4C6F-920E-7709F459B654@microsoft.com...
> Does anybody know of a utility that will assist in populating wireless
> configurations with 802.1x? If the configuration is the same for 500
> users
> I do not want to sit there and manually configure 500 machines. I just
> want
> to do it once and have a utility do the rest. All of this seems to be tied
> into the wireless zero configuration service somehow? Any help would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Dave
>
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 2, 2005 10:07:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Chris,



I appreciate the response you gave me on my question. I was
hoping I can just ask you a couple of more question here on the later. I
knew about the wizard but it looked to me like it only did WPA and did not
get into 802.1x with PEAP selecting certificates ect.



I wanted to confirm before really diving into this that the API you’re
talking about can be configured for PEAP authentication and will be able to
select certificates if already on the machine. Here at the College we use
PEAP with certificates. I just want to also confirm that you do not SSID to
be broadcasting since we do cloak.



This is exactly what I am looking for if it does advanced 802.1x
authentication configurations.



"Chris Gual [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> There are a couple of different ways you can configure the Wireless Zero
> Configuration client without using the UI. The first is by using the
> Wireless Network Setup Wizard with a flash drive. There is a Cable-Guy
> article describing how to use the wizard to do this here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cabl...
>
> There is also an API which can be used by developers to write a program
> to add network profiles to the Wireless Zero Configuration client. The API
> is part of the DDK and can accept Wireless Zero Configuration settings in
> the form of XML data. Here is a link to the API in MSDN:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...
>
> Best of luck,
> Chris Gual [MSFT]
> --
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
>
> "deheinz1" <deheinz1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D D92EA70-2FB0-4C6F-920E-7709F459B654@microsoft.com...
> > Does anybody know of a utility that will assist in populating wireless
> > configurations with 802.1x? If the configuration is the same for 500
> > users
> > I do not want to sit there and manually configure 500 machines. I just
> > want
> > to do it once and have a utility do the rest. All of this seems to be tied
> > into the wireless zero configuration service somehow? Any help would be
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Dave
> >
>
>
>
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 4, 2005 12:05:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Hi Dave,

I am not as familiar with the Wireless Network Setup Wizard as I am with
other aspects of wireless. I think it is mostly for configuring home users.
It does allow you to specifiy if you want to use WEP or WPA (as in WPA-PSK).
I don't think it lets you configure 802.1X settings.

The IProvisioningProfileWireless API allows you to add new wireless
networks to the clients preferred list. It allows you to manipulate a bunch
of different setting for a wireless network, but it only allows you to
specify an EAP type to use, and not internal EAP parameters. For example,
you could specify if the the wireless network was using either EAP-TLS or
PEAP, but not whether to use PEAP-MSCHAPv2 or PEAP-TLS, or whether to
validate server certificates.

The XML schema for how a wireless profile is defined for use with this
API is here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr....
This will show you what variables you can set using the API.

In answer to your question regarding broadcasting SSIDs, this is a
feature you need to configure on the access point, not on the wireless
client.

Thanks,
Chris Gual [MSFT]
--
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"deheinz1" <deheinz1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:76AB97E8-F17B-48CE-85EC-A414B9467EA3@microsoft.com...
> Chris,
>
>
>
> I appreciate the response you gave me on my question. I was
> hoping I can just ask you a couple of more question here on the later. I
> knew about the wizard but it looked to me like it only did WPA and did not
> get into 802.1x with PEAP selecting certificates ect.
>
>
>
> I wanted to confirm before really diving into this that the API you're
> talking about can be configured for PEAP authentication and will be able
> to
> select certificates if already on the machine. Here at the College we use
> PEAP with certificates. I just want to also confirm that you do not SSID
> to
> be broadcasting since we do cloak.
>
>
>
> This is exactly what I am looking for if it does advanced 802.1x
> authentication configurations.
>
>
>
> "Chris Gual [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> There are a couple of different ways you can configure the Wireless
>> Zero
>> Configuration client without using the UI. The first is by using the
>> Wireless Network Setup Wizard with a flash drive. There is a Cable-Guy
>> article describing how to use the wizard to do this here:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cabl...
>>
>> There is also an API which can be used by developers to write a
>> program
>> to add network profiles to the Wireless Zero Configuration client. The
>> API
>> is part of the DDK and can accept Wireless Zero Configuration settings in
>> the form of XML data. Here is a link to the API in MSDN:
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...
>>
>> Best of luck,
>> Chris Gual [MSFT]
>> --
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
>> rights.
>>
>> "deheinz1" <deheinz1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:D D92EA70-2FB0-4C6F-920E-7709F459B654@microsoft.com...
>> > Does anybody know of a utility that will assist in populating wireless
>> > configurations with 802.1x? If the configuration is the same for 500
>> > users
>> > I do not want to sit there and manually configure 500 machines. I just
>> > want
>> > to do it once and have a utility do the rest. All of this seems to be
>> > tied
>> > into the wireless zero configuration service somehow? Any help would
>> > be
>> > appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance.
>> >
>> > Dave
>> >
>>
>>
>>
!