Want to Play DVDs in Windows 8? Then Pay Up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
i see this as a good thing

anytime u can make a market for 3rd party developers on windows, u get better products
for example : web browsers

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
It takes around 3 seconds to download a free DVD player(such as VLC). I having media center built in is like IE: Bloated, slow, and mandatory.

G

There are plenty of plug-in replacements for the microsoft DirectShow codecs that are based on Open-Source solutions and are free.

This is a non-issue.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
In my opinion, these days a built-in decoder, which seems to have never been in Window$, is not really needed. Many AV devices like TVs, Blu-ray Players, and such, are able to either directly stream content from the internet, or use a Window$ machine as a media server to directly show media and thus bypass Window$ having a decoder available. Streaming directly to AV devices seems to be the main mode of viewing media these days.

So here is another case where licensing fees may be doing more to kill the "decoder" market than they are fostering income for the decoder makers.

Crush3d

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
So, if I'm understanding this correctly, it's not Windows 8 that is limiting DVD usage.. it's Windows Media Player..

There are plenty of free-use programs out there, such as VLC mentioned above..

So.. who cares?

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
.....aaaand Microsoft continues to make sure the every/other rule continues to apply to their OS releases.

XP worked just fine for me for many, many years, as 98 did before it. I intend to keep making use of 7 until another good version is made.

zaho0006

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2010
Anyone suggesting optical media is dead should look around them once in a while, if this was true why is there a redbox on every corner?

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Someone needs to remind Microsoft they are selling software, not DVD/Blu-ray drives.

What next? Microsft pretending to be an ISP and charging for a subscription to Internet Explorer.

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
Sometimes I scratch my head when people are upset because MS bundled certain software in it OS, leading to litigation and huge penalty, while at the same time angry about not including another software. Which wind should MS tag along? I'm not a fan of MS, actually close to a critic, but this I'm not sure whether deserves another harsh outcry.

thunderking2106

Honorable
May 4, 2012
I 2nd that.......On occasion i do watch dvd's using VLC Player, rarley do I ever use windows media player.....in the last 10 years or so pc manufacturers have been bundling dvd playback software with windows making windows media player irrelevant....I think Microsoft is doing this to get away from having to pay licensing fees for Codecs that 90% of its users rarely use seeing how codecs are bundled with 3rd party playback which is typically set as default player.

cirdecus

Distinguished
"There was no information how much those extras will cost, but if you want to avoid them, you also have the option of choosing third party media software solutions, which have now an opportunity to market themselves in a much more efficient way."

OR

Take your time and not upgrade for a year or two like most people do. If you already have the functionality in windows 7, just don't buy 8. Maybe microsoft will get the hint.

Marfig

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2012
The license fees reasoning stings like a bee. A bee we had a chance to kill, but didn't when we had the opportunity.

I'm referring of course to the WebM alternative that would have most likely free users and service providers alike from incurring in licensing costs, directly or indirectly. Now, we know of the limitations quality-wise, etc. But it's undeniable that we entered the wolves den willingly and are now just starting to reap the "reward". And the future looks even bleaker.

CoolBOBob1

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
Blame Motorola for demanding $4 billion dollars in licensing fees from Microsoft for H.264. This way Microsoft doesn't have to pay for every person using Windows even those who never watch DVD movies.

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
I agree with Microsoft on this one. And if you spend some time reading MPEG-LA licences you will realise that you are paying twice the licence if the codec is included in Windows. From now on you will pay for the codec when you buy the DVD/BD drive. The only negative is that you have to install the provided disk, but this is non-issue, because the provided player usually is much better then Media player.
On the other hand I think MPAA are idiots. They are pushing for this for years because they believe that this will prevent people from watching ripped DVDs and BDs. How delusional they are!!!

G

98 = Good, ME = Bad, XP = Good, Vista = Bad, 7 = Good, 8 = ???

If the pattern keeps up, were in for a shitty OS... I tried to consumer preview and just couldn't get around the fact there is no start menu, it's just plainly the most stupid OS from MS so far. The only thing good about it is that it doesn't have the same horrible performance that Vista had. And now something as simple as DVD playback is removed? Well at least we can hope that if the pattern continues, Windows 9 will be a awesome release that will have Blu-ray playback that will then after be removed in Windows 10!

leakingpaint

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
I defended MS just the other day regarding win8 - but I should have known they'd F it up...

Donate to VLC (or similar) just a couple bucks. They deserve it because if it wasn't for the people who make these free players we'd all be real pissed right now!

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]CoolBOBob1[/nom]Blame Motorola for demanding $4 billion dollars in licensing fees from Microsoft for H.264. This way Microsoft doesn't have to pay for every person using Windows even those who never watch DVD movies.[/citation]
BS.
First, H.264 is licensed by MPGA-LA patent pool.
Second, Motorola is not licensor in AVC/H.264 program, but MS is. [1]

[1] http://www.mpegla.com/main/programs/AVC/Pages/Licensors.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.