CPU fan fails durning POST...

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

I have purchased a GA-K8NS-Ultra-939 motherboard and everytime I do a
Hard Boot my cpu fan fails (right after the first POST screen,) moments
after the RAID BIOS screen appears the cpu fan stops spinning, when
this happens I do a Soft Boot and the cpu fan will stay on after that.

I thought there was a problem with the fan. So today, I installed a
Zalman CNPS7700-Cu CPU Cooler and the same problem occurs.

What should I do?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

I found that disabling the CPU Smart FAN Control resolved the issue.

Is it normal for this to happen?

On 1 Jun 2005 09:32:16 -0700, jkjorgensen@gmail.com wrote:

>I have purchased a GA-K8NS-Ultra-939 motherboard and everytime I do a
>Hard Boot my cpu fan fails (right after the first POST screen,) moments
>after the RAID BIOS screen appears the cpu fan stops spinning, when
>this happens I do a Soft Boot and the cpu fan will stay on after that.
>
>I thought there was a problem with the fan. So today, I installed a
>Zalman CNPS7700-Cu CPU Cooler and the same problem occurs.
>
>What should I do?

This behaviour is NORMAL with K8NSs. Part of power saving/temp
management with these boards. Fan will run ONLY when it needs to. Heat
SINK will absorb heat and nat. aiir circ will cool at start/maybe only
under VERY light load conditions and fan will turn on when it NEEDS
to.

You can disable 'SmartFan' in the bios to 'fix' this but WHY, other
than to make one feel better. This is the way the engineers DESIGNED
it to work so why not enjoy the quiet?