DVD/CD Drive Lost DVD Functionality

My DVD/CD drive has lost its ability to read or play DVD's but it still works
on CD's. I get the message to insert a disk into the drive when there is a
perfectly good disk in it that I have checked out on another PC

I have cleaned the lens with a cleaner kit, removed the device from hardware
profiles to let Windows XP pick it up again, changed the IDE adapter option
from PIO to DMA and all to no avail.

Its a Compaq DVD-ROM G-8000 model and I also have a Philips CDD 4851 CD/RW
drive fitted. I have installed XP service pack 2 but cannot recall the last
time I used the drive for DVD's so it may or may not be service pack 2
related.

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about drive lost functionality

    I also have the same problem with a samsung sm-352B combo drive it reads and
    writes CDs from it not reading DVDs*
    I have tried: reinstalling DVD programs (PowerDVD), upgrading and
    downgrading firmware, contacting technical support (both Microsoft and
    Samsung) they were no help,
    I also tried the solutions that the following poster tried. Still no
    problem. Like him I upgraded to SP2 but I cannot say for certain if SP2 is
    the reason because
    I cannot recall playing a DVD immediately prior to upgrading. I am getting a
    new drive to test and see whether or not this might me a hardware related
    problem.
    Is there any other software solutions I can try?
    *Sometimes windows actually recognize a DVD is in the drive but I get a
    message that the DVD format is not supported from PowerDVD and
    *and a content protection error from windows media player (however I have
    played some of these DVDs on the computer before, and these are all legal
    DVDs)
    *Also a DVD actually played once but it only played for about 30 seconds
    i.e. the DVD intro
    *I have tried band new shrink wrap DVDs same errors (that eliminates
    scratched DVDs as a problem)

    The bottom line is
    Windows does not even recognize that there is a Disc is the drive with I
    insert a DVD

    "spliff" <spliff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My DVD/CD drive has lost its ability to read or play DVD's but it still
    > works
    > on CD's. I get the message to insert a disk into the drive when there is a
    > perfectly good disk in it that I have checked out on another PC
    >
    > I have cleaned the lens with a cleaner kit, removed the device from
    > hardware
    > profiles to let Windows XP pick it up again, changed the IDE adapter
    > option
    > from PIO to DMA and all to no avail.
    >
    > Its a Compaq DVD-ROM G-8000 model and I also have a Philips CDD 4851 CD/RW
    > drive fitted. I have installed XP service pack 2 but cannot recall the
    > last
    > time I used the drive for DVD's so it may or may not be service pack 2
    > related.
    >
    > Thanks

    Have you both looked at:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324129

    -----
    Nathan McNulty

    Z. Winoff wrote:
    > I also have the same problem with a samsung sm-352B combo drive it reads and
    > writes CDs from it not reading DVDs*
    > I have tried: reinstalling DVD programs (PowerDVD), upgrading and
    > downgrading firmware, contacting technical support (both Microsoft and
    > Samsung) they were no help,
    > I also tried the solutions that the following poster tried. Still no
    > problem. Like him I upgraded to SP2 but I cannot say for certain if SP2 is
    > the reason because
    > I cannot recall playing a DVD immediately prior to upgrading. I am getting a
    > new drive to test and see whether or not this might me a hardware related
    > problem.
    > Is there any other software solutions I can try?
    > *Sometimes windows actually recognize a DVD is in the drive but I get a
    > message that the DVD format is not supported from PowerDVD and
    > *and a content protection error from windows media player (however I have
    > played some of these DVDs on the computer before, and these are all legal
    > DVDs)
    > *Also a DVD actually played once but it only played for about 30 seconds
    > i.e. the DVD intro
    > *I have tried band new shrink wrap DVDs same errors (that eliminates
    > scratched DVDs as a problem)
    >
    > The bottom line is
    > Windows does not even recognize that there is a Disc is the drive with I
    > insert a DVD
    >

    > "spliff" <spliff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>My DVD/CD drive has lost its ability to read or play DVD's but it still
    >>works
    >>on CD's. I get the message to insert a disk into the drive when there is a
    >>perfectly good disk in it that I have checked out on another PC
    >>
    >>I have cleaned the lens with a cleaner kit, removed the device from
    >>hardware
    >>profiles to let Windows XP pick it up again, changed the IDE adapter
    >>option
    >>from PIO to DMA and all to no avail.
    >>
    >>Its a Compaq DVD-ROM G-8000 model and I also have a Philips CDD 4851 CD/RW
    >>drive fitted. I have installed XP service pack 2 but cannot recall the
    >>last
    >>time I used the drive for DVD's so it may or may not be service pack 2
    >>related.
    >>
    >>Thanks

    The solutions provided by microsoft do not resolve the problem.
    I think it's possible that I have a hardware problem but I am waiting to
    install a new drive to test DVD playability.

    "Nathan McNulty" <newsgroups@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Have you both looked at:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324129
    >
    > -----
    > Nathan McNulty
    >
    > Z. Winoff wrote:
    >> I also have the same problem with a samsung sm-352B combo drive it reads
    >> and writes CDs from it not reading DVDs*
    >> I have tried: reinstalling DVD programs (PowerDVD), upgrading and
    >> downgrading firmware, contacting technical support (both Microsoft and
    >> Samsung) they were no help,
    >> I also tried the solutions that the following poster tried. Still no
    >> problem. Like him I upgraded to SP2 but I cannot say for certain if SP2
    >> is the reason because
    >> I cannot recall playing a DVD immediately prior to upgrading. I am
    >> getting a new drive to test and see whether or not this might me a
    >> hardware related problem.
    >> Is there any other software solutions I can try?
    >> *Sometimes windows actually recognize a DVD is in the drive but I get a
    >> message that the DVD format is not supported from PowerDVD and
    >> *and a content protection error from windows media player (however I have
    >> played some of these DVDs on the computer before, and these are all legal
    >> DVDs)
    >> *Also a DVD actually played once but it only played for about 30 seconds
    >> i.e. the DVD intro
    >> *I have tried band new shrink wrap DVDs same errors (that eliminates
    >> scratched DVDs as a problem)
    >>
    >> The bottom line is
    >> Windows does not even recognize that there is a Disc is the drive with I
    >> insert a DVD
    >>

    >> "spliff" <spliff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>My DVD/CD drive has lost its ability to read or play DVD's but it still
    >>>works
    >>>on CD's. I get the message to insert a disk into the drive when there is
    >>>perfectly good disk in it that I have checked out on another PC
    >>>
    >>>I have cleaned the lens with a cleaner kit, removed the device from
    >>>hardware
    >>>profiles to let Windows XP pick it up again, changed the IDE adapter
    >>>option
    >>>from PIO to DMA and all to no avail.
    >>>
    >>>Its a Compaq DVD-ROM G-8000 model and I also have a Philips CDD 4851
    >>>CD/RW
    >>>drive fitted. I have installed XP service pack 2 but cannot recall the
    >>>last
    >>>time I used the drive for DVD's so it may or may not be service pack 2
    >>>related.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks

    It was deffinately a hardware problem. Samsung replaced the drive for me.

DVD CD Drives Windows XP