Hello

I have just finished setting up a friends PC after installing a new hard
drive.
The OS is Windows XP Home. Everything is fine except I can't get him
re-connected to his ISP
as the PCI modems I have tried will either not install or will not dial out.

His original modem is a no name model but with a Conexant chipset. I have
tried the Windows generic drivers and updated ones I
have d/loaded. Although they will install (device manager is happy) I cannot
get a return on querying the modem and it will not dial out
(no dial tone)

I have tried my spare Diamond SupraSST 56i Pro which works perfectly on my
XP m/c (I am on broadband but keep it installed) as a "Generic SoftK56 Data
Fax" with the same result. Other drivers on the Diamond supplied CD will not
install or Windows says they are unstable and cancels.

I have tried at least half a dozen drivers with no luck. Between installs I
have removed all previous drivers. I have also changed the modem cable in
case of damage. I am tempted to copy all the modem files from my PC system32
folder to his PC and see if this will work but thought I'd ask for some
advice first.
Is it worth either changing the PCI slot to another for the modem and/or
manually assigning the IRQ in the Bios? I'm reluctant to do this as all was
OK prior to the hard drive failure.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Conrad

XP compatible modems are available cheaply these days.. rather than try to
find drivers for an old modem, buy a new one..

"Conrad" <conrad@ceebees.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I have just finished setting up a friends PC after installing a new hard
> drive.
> The OS is Windows XP Home. Everything is fine except I can't get him
> re-connected to his ISP
> as the PCI modems I have tried will either not install or will not dial
> out.
>
> His original modem is a no name model but with a Conexant chipset. I have
> tried the Windows generic drivers and updated ones I
> have d/loaded. Although they will install (device manager is happy) I
> cannot
> get a return on querying the modem and it will not dial out
> (no dial tone)
>
> I have tried my spare Diamond SupraSST 56i Pro which works perfectly on my
> XP m/c (I am on broadband but keep it installed) as a "Generic SoftK56
> Data
> Fax" with the same result. Other drivers on the Diamond supplied CD will
> not
> install or Windows says they are unstable and cancels.
>
> I have tried at least half a dozen drivers with no luck. Between installs
> have removed all previous drivers. I have also changed the modem cable in
> case of damage. I am tempted to copy all the modem files from my PC
> system32
> folder to his PC and see if this will work but thought I'd ask for some
> advice first.
> Is it worth either changing the PCI slot to another for the modem and/or
> manually assigning the IRQ in the Bios? I'm reluctant to do this as all
> was
> OK prior to the hard drive failure.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Conrad

I would suggest you describe what steps were taken in replacing the hard
drive as this appears to be the root cause of your problem (as you described
it). Include why it was changed, and was this adding an additional data
disk or did you replace the O/S disk. The more relevant details you
provide, the more likely of a solution will you find.

P.S. If the modem worked before, it should work again providing (as you
suggest) the only change was the hdd addition or replacement.

r.

"Conrad" <conrad@ceebees.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I have just finished setting up a friends PC after installing a new hard
> drive.
> The OS is Windows XP Home. Everything is fine except I can't get him
> re-connected to his ISP
> as the PCI modems I have tried will either not install or will not dial
> out.
>
> His original modem is a no name model but with a Conexant chipset. I have
> tried the Windows generic drivers and updated ones I
> have d/loaded. Although they will install (device manager is happy) I
> cannot
> get a return on querying the modem and it will not dial out
> (no dial tone)
>
> I have tried my spare Diamond SupraSST 56i Pro which works perfectly on my
> XP m/c (I am on broadband but keep it installed) as a "Generic SoftK56
> Data
> Fax" with the same result. Other drivers on the Diamond supplied CD will
> not
> install or Windows says they are unstable and cancels.
>
> I have tried at least half a dozen drivers with no luck. Between installs
> have removed all previous drivers. I have also changed the modem cable in
> case of damage. I am tempted to copy all the modem files from my PC
> system32
> folder to his PC and see if this will work but thought I'd ask for some
> advice first.
> Is it worth either changing the PCI slot to another for the modem and/or
> manually assigning the IRQ in the Bios? I'm reluctant to do this as all
> was
> OK prior to the hard drive failure.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Conrad

Modems tend to be very finicky about drivers, and if you don't have exactly
the right ones, they do all sorts of odd things. The fact that you're trying
all sorts of different drivers means that you don't know for sure which are
the correct drivers. And some modems don't install properly simply by
telling them to install the drivers, you need to run the installation
program that comes with, or it won't work. So copying files off of your
computer (if you're lucky enough to be able to find all the files) is
unlikely to be successful.

It's also possible that in changing the hard drive, you damaged the original
modem -- a little electric shock or something. "No dial tone" is a typical
error when a modem dies; unless, of course, you've got the phone line
plugged in the wrong place.

Rather than spending hours of time and pain on this, you're probably best
off buying a new modem, They're cheap. Maybe $20. Chances are if it's a new
modem, Windows will recognize and install it without a hitch. I've seen that
enough times. If not, you'd have the driver disk with the installation
routine, so you'd know that you're installing the right drivers.

"Conrad" <conrad@ceebees.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I have just finished setting up a friends PC after installing a new hard
> drive.
> The OS is Windows XP Home. Everything is fine except I can't get him
> re-connected to his ISP
> as the PCI modems I have tried will either not install or will not dial
> out.
>
> His original modem is a no name model but with a Conexant chipset. I have
> tried the Windows generic drivers and updated ones I
> have d/loaded. Although they will install (device manager is happy) I
> cannot
> get a return on querying the modem and it will not dial out
> (no dial tone)
>
> I have tried my spare Diamond SupraSST 56i Pro which works perfectly on my
> XP m/c (I am on broadband but keep it installed) as a "Generic SoftK56
> Data
> Fax" with the same result. Other drivers on the Diamond supplied CD will
> not
> install or Windows says they are unstable and cancels.
>
> I have tried at least half a dozen drivers with no luck. Between installs
> have removed all previous drivers. I have also changed the modem cable in
> case of damage. I am tempted to copy all the modem files from my PC
> system32
> folder to his PC and see if this will work but thought I'd ask for some
> advice first.
> Is it worth either changing the PCI slot to another for the modem and/or
> manually assigning the IRQ in the Bios? I'm reluctant to do this as all
> was
> OK prior to the hard drive failure.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Conrad

Check that the com port used for the modem is installed. I am having a
simular problem and I am unable to install a com port that works..

"D.Currie" wrote:

> Modems tend to be very finicky about drivers, and if you don't have exactly
> the right ones, they do all sorts of odd things. The fact that you're trying
> all sorts of different drivers means that you don't know for sure which are
> the correct drivers. And some modems don't install properly simply by
> telling them to install the drivers, you need to run the installation
> program that comes with, or it won't work. So copying files off of your
> computer (if you're lucky enough to be able to find all the files) is
> unlikely to be successful.
>
> It's also possible that in changing the hard drive, you damaged the original
> modem -- a little electric shock or something. "No dial tone" is a typical
> error when a modem dies; unless, of course, you've got the phone line
> plugged in the wrong place.
>
> Rather than spending hours of time and pain on this, you're probably best
> off buying a new modem, They're cheap. Maybe $20. Chances are if it's a new
> modem, Windows will recognize and install it without a hitch. I've seen that
> enough times. If not, you'd have the driver disk with the installation
> routine, so you'd know that you're installing the right drivers.
>
> "Conrad" <conrad@ceebees.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hello
> >
> > I have just finished setting up a friends PC after installing a new hard
> > drive.
> > The OS is Windows XP Home. Everything is fine except I can't get him
> > re-connected to his ISP
> > as the PCI modems I have tried will either not install or will not dial
> > out.
> >
> > His original modem is a no name model but with a Conexant chipset. I have
> > tried the Windows generic drivers and updated ones I
> > have d/loaded. Although they will install (device manager is happy) I
> > cannot
> > get a return on querying the modem and it will not dial out
> > (no dial tone)
> >
> > I have tried my spare Diamond SupraSST 56i Pro which works perfectly on my
> > XP m/c (I am on broadband but keep it installed) as a "Generic SoftK56
> > Data
> > Fax" with the same result. Other drivers on the Diamond supplied CD will
> > not
> > install or Windows says they are unstable and cancels.
> >
> > I have tried at least half a dozen drivers with no luck. Between installs
> > have removed all previous drivers. I have also changed the modem cable in
> > case of damage. I am tempted to copy all the modem files from my PC
> > system32
> > folder to his PC and see if this will work but thought I'd ask for some
> > advice first.
> > Is it worth either changing the PCI slot to another for the modem and/or
> > manually assigning the IRQ in the Bios? I'm reluctant to do this as all
> > was
> > OK prior to the hard drive failure.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any help.
> >
> > Conrad

Um, you don't need to install a com port, the modem is its own com port. If
you're looking at the com ports listed in device manager, those are the
physical ports on the computer. The ones listed there are the ones the modem
*can't* use. If you try to add more ports there, the modem is going to have
an even harder time trying to find an unused port.