7n400 Pro2 Rev2 (FK bios) + Corsair VS256MB400 problems

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte (More info?)

Ok, this has me frustrated. System details follow, but in summary I
can run my MB with my XP 2800+ at 10.5 multipler/200FSB with 2 sticks
of VS256MB400 perfetly. I can run my XP 2800+ at 12.5
multiplier/166FSB with 4 sticks of VS256MB400 perfectly.

I cannot run my XP 2800+ at 10.5 multiplier/2000FSB with all 4 sticks
of VS256MB400. Memtest86+ runs all night without a single problem.
Everything boots find. Windows boot chokes when it hits mup.sys,
forces a reboot. I can’t figure this one out despite two days of
trying, hoping you guys can help.

Details:
1xGA-7n400 Pro2 Rev2 (FK)
4xCorsair VS256MB400
1xUnlocked AMD XP 2800+ Barton(Change Multi not to overclock, but to
keep speed constant whiel playing with FSB)
1xWindows XP Professional Edition, SP2

Sandra SiSoft reports:
2xVS256MB400 @ 400mhz 4171/13.4
4xVS256MB400 @ 333mhz 3887/15.3

System is used mainly for the MMORPH FFXI. If there is no fix to get
all four sticks up to speed, am I better off with 512@400 or 1024@333,
or is it viable to get 2x512 sticks?

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Gigabyte-7n400-Pro2-Rev2-FK-bios-Corsair-VS256MB400-problems-ftopict56988.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=286504

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte (More info?)

Boot off the windows cd, load the recovery console.
Type "disable mup"
Hit Enter
All done, windows works. Mup.sys is the service to connect to Novell
servers. %99.99909 of people won't need this.
Here is a link to information on what mup.sys actually does...
http://www.zacker.com/articles/mup/mup.html

AMD'r

"NomadicDragon" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
> Ok, this has me frustrated. System details follow, but in summary I
> can run my MB with my XP 2800+ at 10.5 multipler/200FSB with 2 sticks
> of VS256MB400 perfetly. I can run my XP 2800+ at 12.5
> multiplier/166FSB with 4 sticks of VS256MB400 perfectly.
>
> I cannot run my XP 2800+ at 10.5 multiplier/2000FSB with all 4 sticks
> of VS256MB400. Memtest86+ runs all night without a single problem.
> Everything boots find. Windows boot chokes when it hits mup.sys,
> forces a reboot. I can’t figure this one out despite two days of
> trying, hoping you guys can help.
>
> Details:
> 1xGA-7n400 Pro2 Rev2 (FK)
> 4xCorsair VS256MB400
> 1xUnlocked AMD XP 2800+ Barton(Change Multi not to overclock, but to
> keep speed constant whiel playing with FSB)
> 1xWindows XP Professional Edition, SP2
>
> Sandra SiSoft reports:
> 2xVS256MB400 @ 400mhz 4171/13.4
> 4xVS256MB400 @ 333mhz 3887/15.3
>
> System is used mainly for the MMORPH FFXI. If there is no fix to get
> all four sticks up to speed, am I better off with 512@400 or 1024@333,
> or is it viable to get 2x512 sticks?

request
> Topic URL:
http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Gigabyte-7n400-Pro2-Rev2-FK-bios-Corsair-VS256MB400-problems-ftopict56988.html
http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=286504

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte (More info?)

"AMD'r" <kenkelbSPAMTRAP@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Boot off the windows cd, load the recovery console.
> Type "disable mup"
> Hit Enter
> All done, windows works. Mup.sys is the service to connect to Novell
> servers. %99.99909 of people won't need this.
> Here is a link to information on what mup.sys actually does...
> http://www.zacker.com/articles/mup/mup.html
>
> AMD'r
>
> "NomadicDragon" <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote in message
>> Ok, this has me frustrated. System details follow, but in summary I
>> can run my MB with my XP 2800+ at 10.5 multipler/200FSB with 2 sticks
>> of VS256MB400 perfetly. I can run my XP 2800+ at 12.5
>> multiplier/166FSB with 4 sticks of VS256MB400 perfectly.
>>
>> I cannot run my XP 2800+ at 10.5 multiplier/2000FSB with all 4 sticks
>> of VS256MB400. Memtest86+ runs all night without a single problem.
>> Everything boots find. Windows boot chokes when it hits mup.sys,
>> forces a reboot. I can't figure this one out despite two days of
>> trying, hoping you guys can help.
>>
>> Details:
>> 1xGA-7n400 Pro2 Rev2 (FK)
>> 4xCorsair VS256MB400
>> 1xUnlocked AMD XP 2800+ Barton(Change Multi not to overclock, but to
>> keep speed constant whiel playing with FSB)
>> 1xWindows XP Professional Edition, SP2
>>
>> Sandra SiSoft reports:
>> 2xVS256MB400 @ 400mhz 4171/13.4
>> 4xVS256MB400 @ 333mhz 3887/15.3
>>
>> System is used mainly for the MMORPH FFXI. If there is no fix to get
>> all four sticks up to speed, am I better off with 512@400 or 1024@333,
>> or is it viable to get 2x512 sticks?
>>
>> --
>> Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's
> request
>> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
>> Topic URL:
> http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Gigabyte-7n400-Pro2-Rev2-FK-bios-Corsair-VS256MB400-problems-ftopict56988.html
>> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
> http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=286504

Well, since this MB officially supports only three memory modules
and
you are using the bottom of the Corsair line
and
you haven't raised the memory voltage
and
you have not tinkered with any memory timings.

Small surprise it doesn't work
HG