Sound card problems with Windows XP

October 31, 2004 12:49:02 PM

I have a home built computer which has a Gigabyte GA-8SRX motherboard with a
SiS645 chipset. It has a Creative CT5880 Chipset on board sound. In checking
for the certification of this mother board, it islisted as being certified
for all Windows operating system including Windows XP.

I have downloaded drivers from the motherboard manufacturer as well as from
other sites, searching for drivers that will work. My latest success has
been from the motherboard manufacturer and those drivers seemed to work,
however, when the system restarts the only sound that will come from the
speakers is a continuious clicking sound (rather obnoxious too). The driver
provider is Creative Technology and the version number is 5.12.1.4113. The
drivers which are provided by the motherboard company are not Digitaly sign
by microsoft but are listed as being valid for Windows XP. Once installed,
the hardware is listed as a Creative Sound Blaster PCI128 (WDM). However, if
the Windows Plug and Play installs it it is listed as a Creative
AudioPCI(ES1371, EX1373) WDM.

I have even tried to purchase a PCI sound card to install (disengaging the
onboard sound device thru the Bios) and I gotten the same results.

Looking for a resolution.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2004 4:26:30 PM

Did you install ALL of the M/B chipset drivers? I would think that the
drivers on the CD that came with the motherboard would work! You can then
try to update them from that point!

--

Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"Marcel" <Marcel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a home built computer which has a Gigabyte GA-8SRX motherboard with
> SiS645 chipset. It has a Creative CT5880 Chipset on board sound. In
> checking
> for the certification of this mother board, it islisted as being certified
> for all Windows operating system including Windows XP.
>
> I have downloaded drivers from the motherboard manufacturer as well as
> from
> other sites, searching for drivers that will work. My latest success has
> been from the motherboard manufacturer and those drivers seemed to work,
> however, when the system restarts the only sound that will come from the
> speakers is a continuious clicking sound (rather obnoxious too). The
> driver
> provider is Creative Technology and the version number is 5.12.1.4113. The
> drivers which are provided by the motherboard company are not Digitaly
> sign
> by microsoft but are listed as being valid for Windows XP. Once installed,
> the hardware is listed as a Creative Sound Blaster PCI128 (WDM). However,
> if
> the Windows Plug and Play installs it it is listed as a Creative
> AudioPCI(ES1371, EX1373) WDM.
>
> I have even tried to purchase a PCI sound card to install (disengaging the
> onboard sound device thru the Bios) and I gotten the same results.
>
> Looking for a resolution.
October 31, 2004 4:26:31 PM

Yes I did load the M/B chipset drivers from the CD which came with the
motherboard. I then when to the M/B website and down loaded new drivers,
which are listed as working for Windows XP - still no resolution.

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> Did you install ALL of the M/B chipset drivers? I would think that the
> drivers on the CD that came with the motherboard would work! You can then
> try to update them from that point!
>
> --
>
> Regards:
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
>

> "Marcel" <Marcel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a home built computer which has a Gigabyte GA-8SRX motherboard with
> > SiS645 chipset. It has a Creative CT5880 Chipset on board sound. In
> > checking
> > for the certification of this mother board, it islisted as being certified
> > for all Windows operating system including Windows XP.
> >
> > I have downloaded drivers from the motherboard manufacturer as well as
> > from
> > other sites, searching for drivers that will work. My latest success has
> > been from the motherboard manufacturer and those drivers seemed to work,
> > however, when the system restarts the only sound that will come from the
> > speakers is a continuious clicking sound (rather obnoxious too). The
> > driver
> > provider is Creative Technology and the version number is 5.12.1.4113. The
> > drivers which are provided by the motherboard company are not Digitaly
> > sign
> > by microsoft but are listed as being valid for Windows XP. Once installed,
> > the hardware is listed as a Creative Sound Blaster PCI128 (WDM). However,
> > if
> > the Windows Plug and Play installs it it is listed as a Creative
> > AudioPCI(ES1371, EX1373) WDM.
> >
> > I have even tried to purchase a PCI sound card to install (disengaging the
> > onboard sound device thru the Bios) and I gotten the same results.
> >
> > Looking for a resolution.

a b \ Driver
a b V Motherboard
October 31, 2004 6:57:01 PM

I hate to say it, but have you considered the possibility that you've got a
bad motherboard? Also, please tell us you're not overclocking!

"Marcel" wrote:

> I have a home built computer which has a Gigabyte GA-8SRX motherboard with a
> SiS645 chipset. It has a Creative CT5880 Chipset on board sound. In checking
> for the certification of this mother board, it islisted as being certified
> for all Windows operating system including Windows XP.
>
> I have downloaded drivers from the motherboard manufacturer as well as from
> other sites, searching for drivers that will work. My latest success has
> been from the motherboard manufacturer and those drivers seemed to work,
> however, when the system restarts the only sound that will come from the
> speakers is a continuious clicking sound (rather obnoxious too). The driver
> provider is Creative Technology and the version number is 5.12.1.4113. The
> drivers which are provided by the motherboard company are not Digitaly sign
> by microsoft but are listed as being valid for Windows XP. Once installed,
> the hardware is listed as a Creative Sound Blaster PCI128 (WDM). However, if
> the Windows Plug and Play installs it it is listed as a Creative
> AudioPCI(ES1371, EX1373) WDM.
>
> I have even tried to purchase a PCI sound card to install (disengaging the
> onboard sound device thru the Bios) and I gotten the same results.
>
> Looking for a resolution.
October 31, 2004 10:16:01 PM

I have wondered about the possibility of having a bad mother board, so I went
out and purchased a PCI sound card and installed it. Turned off the onboard
sound card thru the BIOS. Windows XP identified the new hardware and found
the installation for it. The manual for installation indicated that the
drivers were NOT digitaly signed by Microsoft, but that they would work.
However, I got the same results with the PCI sound card. I can get the
onboard sound card to work but it takes some doing. But when I restart the
system or turn it off the next time I turn it on, all that I get is a
continious clicking sound out of the speakers.

I guess that there is the possibility that I should replace the motherboard
but that is a long shot -there has to be a remedy before replacing the
motherboard - I could scrap Windows XP and go back to Windows 2000. But I am
not giving up yet.

!