Gigabyte GA-7VAX will not boot. The fans move then stop.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte (More info?)

I have a Gigabyte GA-7vax. It doesn’t want to want to post or turn
the computer on. As I press the power button. I notice the fans begin
to move, then stop. The RAM LED light then comes on. Nothing else
comes on. Any ideas?

My system consists of:

Antec 350w
Maxtor 60gig
Radion 9000 128mb
512 mb ddr

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Gigabyte-GA-7VAX-boot-fans-move-stop-ftopict58306.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=294710

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte (More info?)

On 2 Jul 2005 01:35:42 -0400, Brain0030
<UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:

>I have a Gigabyte GA-7vax. It doesn’t want to want to post or turn
>the computer on. As I press the power button. I notice the fans begin
>to move, then stop. The RAM LED light then comes on. Nothing else
>comes on. Any ideas?
>
>My system consists of:
>
>Antec 350w
>Maxtor 60gig
>Radion 9000 128mb
>512 mb ddr

That sounds like a short or bad PSU to me. Check that a screw didn't
fall on or below the board. I recently had one wedge between the pins
of an unused fan connector with the same symptoms.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte (More info?)

Celeste is right........most likely power supply or bad motherboard. Check
power supply with a tester and even if it passes, try another, (I have had
an antec tester say pwr supp was good but was still not right)
Good luck,

"Brain0030" wrote:
> I have a Gigabyte GA-7vax. It doesn't want to want to post or
> turn the computer on. As I press the power button. I notice
> the fans begin to move, then stop. The RAM LED light then
> comes on. Nothing else comes on. Any ideas?
>
> My system consists of:
>
> Antec 350w
> Maxtor 60gig
> Radion 9000 128mb
> 512 mb ddr

yea i have that same board and the exact same problem happend to me
and i thought my board was dead but it wasnt, its the power supply.
yours just fried because it was messed or because it wasnt powerful
enuff for your pc, replace it with at least a 350w, the real way to
tell if the board is dead is if the lil light on the board doesnt come
on at all if its on it means its not getting enuff power to boot.

davy

Further to my last post, The board I use is a Gigaybyte GA-7VAXP Rev
1.1

Do a visual check, I discovered a blown cap near the yellow socket
you'll find there are two identicals ones next to each other, mine
where green ones and one had swollen, the mobo was still working but
I elected to change them both (but you do need a little soldering
experience), just in case they decided to leak corrosive gunge which
will eat away the copper tracks.

Apparently there was a load of bad caps produced in Taiwan due to
industrial espionage...!

Have a look at-:
"Bad Caps" in the section and also
"Bad caps in Mobos" in the News 'n' Stuff section

This affects 'ALL' mobos not just Gigabyte and anything else that uses
these caps, videos TV's etc....!

So well worth a check, with one cap completely swollen mine worked ok
(but it ran much warmer than normal as all caps do when they blown
their tops in you get an increase in ESR).

I only found all this out the other day, the ones in version 1 are the
two identicle green ones near the yellow socket. The two near the CPU
and RAM chips are also known to go, these two caps are made by GSC in
Taiwan, not all GSC caps are bad, just certain types.

ALL equipment that uses these caps are affected not just computers, if
any have swelled and their tops not flat, they have bulged or leaking
gunge then that is a bad cap.

Stay well away from 'LUBYCON' caps they are a very poor imitation
copy of the 'RUBYCON' brand of renowned manufacture whose caps are
fully reliable - some espionage...!

Davy