More about what home sublimation printer

    << From: Walt NoSpamForWalt@Early.com
    Date: Wed, Jun 16, 2004 12:45 PM

    I am looking to get a secondary printer just for printing photos. I
    want to get a dye sublimation printer.

    Does anyone know which home (under $250) printer would be the best?
    Are there any comparison tests done that someone could reference me
    to? I have searched around on the 'net, and can't even figure out
    which are the new current models, and which are the old obsolete
    models. I found one Sony model which had several glowing reviews,
    but then noticed the reviews were dated back from 2001.

    From your reference to the Sony unit I assume you are referring to the 4X^
    (Max) printers. Two stand out. One is a dye sub and their consumables for this
    class are very inexpensive.

    1. The dye sub-http://www.hitishop.com/index.html
    Rated very highly by several sources.

    2. The Epson PictureMate. Just out. About $200. Prints 4X6, Wallet size, and
    index prints. Uses Pigment ink. Great longevity and the pigment inks are very
    resistive to smearing when wet. One reviewer printed a picture and then
    immediately placed it under running water while he rubbed the picture with his
    finger without a smear. He did admit that the paper, being wet, did curl a
    little when dried. The best part is that a pack that includes the cartridge
    (has six colors) and 100 sheets of 4X6 paper was only $28.99, or 29 cents a
    print.

    I bought one of the Epsons although my first set of pictures amounted to only
    87 before the ink ran out. (That may, at least, be partially due to initial
    priming of the ink.)

Printers Reviews Peripherals