WinXP Pro SP2

Ghost 9 using the floppy disc it makes.

Had two installs of Windows one on a SATA drive, one on an ATA drive.
I could boot from eitther.

The ATA Windows drive got corrupted.

So I Ghosted the SATA partition to the ATA partiton with Windows in
each.

With the SATA unplugged. it would not boot to the ATA drive, it would
get to the starting Windows screen and no further.

But with both drives attached it would boot to either but would give
me an error of two sys files(one syshost) couldn't load or had a
problem. One time I could continue on, once in crashed.

Since both drives have a lot of data (some different on them), I would
like to be able to boot from both if needed.

peter

Hi,

Boot from the XP CD and perform a repair installation of XP On the ATA drive.

Peter

"John Johnson" <change@pacbell.net> wrote in
> WinXP Pro SP2
>
> Ghost 9 using the floppy disc it makes.
>
> Had two installs of Windows one on a SATA drive, one on an ATA drive.
> I could boot from eitther.
>
> The ATA Windows drive got corrupted.
>
> So I Ghosted the SATA partition to the ATA partiton with Windows in
> each.
>
> With the SATA unplugged. it would not boot to the ATA drive, it would
> get to the starting Windows screen and no further.
>
> But with both drives attached it would boot to either but would give
> me an error of two sys files(one syshost) couldn't load or had a
> problem. One time I could continue on, once in crashed.
>
> Since both drives have a lot of data (some different on them), I would
> like to be able to boot from both if needed.
--------------------------
The partitions of the ATA drive have been recognized by the SATA XP system .
The letters of every partition have been defined and stored in the registry
of the SATA XP. For instance SATA XP is C: and the partition of the ATA XP
(in the registry of the SATA XP) is D:
After the copy, in the registry of the new ATA XP the letters are the same
: the partition of the new ATA XP is D: the partition of the original SATA
XP is C:
The registry of the new ATA XP uses many files of C: it is not possible to
boot if C: is not present, and worse the original SATA system could be
corrupted by operations on the copied system.
The new system crashed. Try to copy again and then boot (in safe mode) on
the ATA with the SATA present. The letter of the copied ATA XP is probably
not the
letter of the original SATA XP
Use the Knowledge Base article Q223188
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q223188
to swap the letters of the source volume and of the destination
volume in the registry of the destination volume in use
( regedit : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices, right click on
volume, choose rename for instance C to Z, D to C, Z to D , reboot). Any
other operation may corrupt both systems.
This swap must be done in safe mode.
Modify the boot.ini to be able to choose easily between the ATA or SATA
system
To copy XP see http://perso.numericable.fr/gjullien/copy_xp.htm

Georges Jullien