TheDude

Distinguished
May 5, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte (More info?)

Hi All,

I have a GA-K8NXP-SLI mobo with F7h BIOS, and 4 HDD (2 * 160gb PATA
maxtor diamondmax +9, and 2 * 300gb SATA maxtor diamondmax+10). I am
(trying to) run WinXP MCE2005. CPU = AMD 3500+ winchester. Mem = 2gb
Corsair PRO.

The system has crashed and corrupted the HDD’s 3 times in a row over
the last 6 months.

Initially the system was built with the 2 * 300gb SATA disks in a
mirror as c: drive (RAID 1), and the 2 * 160gb PATA disks as the d:
drive in a separate mirror (RAID 1). Each time the install went fine,
and all good for a couple of months. Suddenly the PC would hang
mid-use, upon hard reset it would not boot and the HDD’s were
corrupted. (although it was always the 1st disk in the array that was
completely trashed, I could recover data from 2nd disk thank god!). I
have tried replacing my HDD’s in between rebuilds, but the same thing
happens.

I have given up on the NForce4 RAID system, obviously it is too damn
buggy to keep using. Furthermore driver updates for the mobo and
Nvidia RAID are slower than Victoria Beckham at a pie-eating contest.

So I have decided to rebuild the system minus the RAID and use WinXP
backup. I installed the system with 4 separate HDD and all RAID
disabled in BIOS. Installed WinXP (using F6 and Nvidia IDE storage
driver) onto one of the 300gb SATA disks and all went OK until I
reboot.

Now I find that the system will not boot from the HDD unless there is
a bootable CD in the drive, and I ignore the prompt to press a key to
boot from the CDROM.

I have tried changing the Hard Disk Boot Priority in the BIOS in case
I have wrong 300gb disk specified as 1st, but it makes no difference.
I have tried Gigabyte support several times, but mostly get a reply
from someone who barely reads the question I take good time to write,
and consequently get a noddy answer to a different problem.

Finally, the questions to you all:
1. has anyone had the same problem with the RAID corruption? if so how
did you fix it?
2. why won’t my PC boot from the SATA disk without a bootable CD in
the drive?

A virtual beer for any person who can help!! :)

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Gigabyte-SATA-problem-ftopict59266.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=300126

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte (More info?)

Sounds like there may be a corrupt master boot record on a hard drive and/or
no partition on the target SATA boot drive configured as primary-active,
possibly as a result of boot info remnants from a previous WinXP
installation on another drive/partition/RAID array.

Since you've already re-installed the OS once, if you have backups of your
important data, it would probably be best to go the clean installation
route, deleting all partitions on all drives, then creating and formatting
partitions during the clean installation routine. Before doing so, make
sure you have the latest and greatest of all drivers/software. There was an
updated version F9 BIOS for this board released today, and updated chipset
drivers released last week. For your convenience, we sell a system based on
this motherboard, and all updates can be found on one page at our site:
http://tastycomputers.com/support/download/dl_4sli.htm .

Hope you get up and running soon!
--
Russell Sullivan