Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939 wont detect drives

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
July 22, 2005 4:36:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.giga-byte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.gigabyte (More info?)

I am rebuilding my computer to upgrade from a P4 system. I am
re-using the same hard drive and cd-rw drives that I was previously
using. All IDE drives functioned properly previous to new MoBo
installation. Motherboard, memory and processor are new retail items.
I repartitioned my hard drive using PartitionMagic. However, in my
new system, the BIOS loads EXTREMELY slowly. Many times the BIOS
detects no IDE drives. About 30% of the time the drives are detected,
but the boot process is still VERY slow. This occurs even in
Fail-Safe Defaults mode, Optimal Defaults mode, and when i disable
every unused peripheral. I have not been able to boot into windows xp
(freshly installed when I was able to boot from CD). It takes about 4
minutes before it actually begins to attempt to enter the OS. What is
causing the extremely slow BIOS load and the failure to consistently
recognize hard disks/cd drives?

System specs:
Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939 BIOS version F7
Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego
OCZ DDR400 1Gb ram (single stick, slot 1)
ATI Radeon 8500
Western Digital Caviar 80GB ATA, IDE Channel 0, master
MSI CD-RW, IDE Channel 1, master
Phillips CD-RW, IDE Channel 2, slave
Antec TruePower 330 power supply
Others:
Gigabyte wireless PCI adapter (802.11g)
Modem

Notes:
Some people will say 330W is not enough power. I dont believe that
since I’ve seen 350W supplies powering similar setups fine. My
SanDiego is spec’d at 86W I think, and I only have 1HD in (havent
bothered putting my others in yet) and my video card isnt too power
hungry either, so that’s not very much draw.
Also, I tested my power supply and it has correct voltages when on a
countertop, didnt test load amps though.
I haven’t yet tested it without the PCI cards and such installed, I
plan on doing that when I get home from work.
Tried many BIOS settings, such as disabling all RAID and other devices
too. No setting combinations help.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Gigabyte-GA-K8NS-Ultra-93...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=300201
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
July 22, 2005 4:19:02 PM

SublimeZ31 wrote:
> I am rebuilding my computer to upgrade from a P4 system. I am
> re-using the same hard drive and cd-rw drives that I was previously
> using. All IDE drives functioned properly previous to new MoBo
> installation. Motherboard, memory and processor are new retail items.
> I repartitioned my hard drive using PartitionMagic. However, in my
> new system, the BIOS loads EXTREMELY slowly. Many times the BIOS
> detects no IDE drives. About 30% of the time the drives are detected,
> but the boot process is still VERY slow. This occurs even in
> Fail-Safe Defaults mode, Optimal Defaults mode, and when i disable
> every unused peripheral. I have not been able to boot into windows xp
> (freshly installed when I was able to boot from CD). It takes about 4
> minutes before it actually begins to attempt to enter the OS. What is
> causing the extremely slow BIOS load and the failure to consistently
> recognize hard disks/cd drives?
>
> System specs:
> Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939 BIOS version F7
> Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego
> OCZ DDR400 1Gb ram (single stick, slot 1)
> ATI Radeon 8500
> Western Digital Caviar 80GB ATA, IDE Channel 0, master
> MSI CD-RW, IDE Channel 1, master
> Phillips CD-RW, IDE Channel 2, slave
> Antec TruePower 330 power supply
> Others:
> Gigabyte wireless PCI adapter (802.11g)
> Modem
>
> Notes:
> Some people will say 330W is not enough power. I dont believe that
> since I’ve seen 350W supplies powering similar setups fine. My
> SanDiego is spec’d at 86W I think, and I only have 1HD in (havent
> bothered putting my others in yet) and my video card isnt too power
> hungry either, so that’s not very much draw.
> Also, I tested my power supply and it has correct voltages when on a
> countertop, didnt test load amps though.
> I haven’t yet tested it without the PCI cards and such installed, I
> plan on doing that when I get home from work.
> Tried many BIOS settings, such as disabling all RAID and other devices
> too. No setting combinations help.
>
> Thanks in advance for any ideas!

What OS? if XP, (probably others as well, my only experience in doing
this is with XP Pro)did You do a repair install after changing the world
on it?

I did the same thing, new mobo, uproc, mem (That OCZ stuff is nice!,
great tech support if You ever have a problem)

Also, beware of PS specs! Cheaper PSs, the 330 watts would be peak, not
continuous. If so I would say You are underpowered. I had two of the
same supplies blow up in my current system! Am now using a Vantec
Stealth - 420 count., 520 peak. 1 yr. +, stable as a rock!

a b V Motherboard
July 25, 2005 11:35:40 PM

"" wrote:
> [...]
> continuous. If so I would say You are underpowered. I had two
> of the
> same supplies blow up in my current system! Am now using a
> Vantec
> Stealth - 420 count., 520 peak. 1 yr. +, stable as a rock!

>What OS? if XP, (probably others as well, my only experience in doing

>this is with XP Pro)did You do a repair install after changing the
world
>on it?
>I did the same thing, new mobo, uproc, mem (That OCZ stuff is nice!,
>great tech support if You ever have a problem)
>Also, beware of PS specs! Cheaper PSs, the 330 watts would be peak,
>not continuous. If so I would say You are underpowered. I had two of
the
>same supplies blow up in my current system! Am now using a Vantec
>Stealth - 420 count., 520 peak. 1 yr. +, stable as a rock!

Thanks for the reply - it turned out that for some reason my mobo
didnt like the HDD to be pinned as "master" with one drive there...
i checked the pinning and it was correct ... I changed it to Cable
Select and it was fine. Then i put it back to master and added a
second HDD (set to slave) and it was fine.
As for OS, i use XP Pro - but this problem was before i ever was able
to boot into the OS. I’m glad you approve of OCZ, its my first
experience with them. It turns out i bought the exact same stick as
my friend did. I’m thinking about upping to 1GBx2 so i can do dual
channel w/ a 1Gb ram drive.
my power supply is an Antec TruPower, never had problems with it. Now
that i’ve got my system running (added the second 80Gb hard drive) its
going great. If i make any changes, i’d add ram, get a better video
card (Sapphire 9800Pro vs. ATI x700 Pro? has to be AGP bc thats what
my board is, which would you go w/?) and maybe a SATA RAID array.
What do you think?

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Gigabyte-GA-K8NS-Ultra-93...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=301034
!