No CD after XP upgrade

Lou

I have just upgraded to XP. During the upgrade I had issues installing XP
after troubleshooting I came to the conclusion that it was because of the
HLDS GCE-8160B 16X CDRW. I removed the drive and ren the XP update over the
network. The update was sucessful.

I reinstalled the CD but windows will not see the device. BIOS has been
updated and sees the device.

I checked out Dells website and tried to update the firmware of the drive.
The firmware program does not recognize the drive.

Any ideas would be great.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553

-----
Nathan McNulty