Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corr..

Just wondered if anyone has seen this before.

Don't know what has happened but on Sunday suddenly both my external USB
CD-Rom and Internal CD Rom drives
on my laptop suddenly stopped reading cd-rom disks containing data.
Audio cds play fine but any data discs such as backups, games or software
discs result
in the same message if browsed in explorer:-

Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could
be using a format that is not compatible with Windows.

I have re-installed drivers, been through google but nothing I could find or
do made a difference.
I did a virus scan with f-prot and a spyware scan with spy-doctor but
nothing helped.

I'd be gratefull if anyone has any ideas what do to.

I also removed the USB cd-rom drive and plugged it into my other laptop and
it worked fine.
2 answers Last reply
More about windows read disk disk corr

    I believe you have replies to this in another group?

    Hovel wrote:
    > Just wondered if anyone has seen this before.
    >
    > Don't know what has happened but on Sunday suddenly both my external
    > USB CD-Rom and Internal CD Rom drives
    > on my laptop suddenly stopped reading cd-rom disks containing data.
    > Audio cds play fine but any data discs such as backups, games or
    > software discs result
    > in the same message if browsed in explorer:-
    >
    > Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or
    > it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows.
    >
    > I have re-installed drivers, been through google but nothing I could
    > find or do made a difference.
    > I did a virus scan with f-prot and a spyware scan with spy-doctor but
    > nothing helped.
    >
    > I'd be gratefull if anyone has any ideas what do to.
    >
    > I also removed the USB cd-rom drive and plugged it into my other
    > laptop and it worked fine.

    Hi.
    Yes I have but no real help.
    I am seeing lots of posts now with the folk who have the same kind of problems
    but no one seems to know what the cause is.
    To be honest I have installed no new software recently and change no settings.
    It just seems that all of a sudden my internal Matsui CD-DVD drive and
    external USB PikaOne Rip Cd-ROM burner all report the same error as above.

    The wierd thing is that I can play audio cds on both through media player.
    I can rip audio cds on both using media player and i can burn to both
    using Nero but neither will show me data files in explorer or at cmd level.

    Ian

    "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

    > I believe you have replies to this in another group?
    >
    > Hovel wrote:
    > > Just wondered if anyone has seen this before.
    > >
    > > Don't know what has happened but on Sunday suddenly both my external
    > > USB CD-Rom and Internal CD Rom drives
    > > on my laptop suddenly stopped reading cd-rom disks containing data.
    > > Audio cds play fine but any data discs such as backups, games or
    > > software discs result
    > > in the same message if browsed in explorer:-
    > >
    > > Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or
    > > it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows.
    > >
    > > I have re-installed drivers, been through google but nothing I could
    > > find or do made a difference.
    > > I did a virus scan with f-prot and a spyware scan with spy-doctor but
    > > nothing helped.
    > >
    > > I'd be gratefull if anyone has any ideas what do to.
    > >
    > > I also removed the USB cd-rom drive and plugged it into my other
    > > laptop and it worked fine.

CD-Rom Windows XP