I've recently purchased a Maxtor 160GB hard drive and split it into two
partitions:

1) 60GB system files (where windows boots from and where I install every
program)
2) ~90GB (where I put all my recreational files and I have all my writings
etc.

Well, as it would turn out, I reboot my computer to find out that my ~90GB
partition claims that it is RAW and needs to be formatted. When I've used
various programs to look at the partition (Active Partition Recovery DEMO),
it shows all the files on that partition to be intact and waiting to be used.

ANy ideas on what is going on and how I can fix this? Need more information
than what I've given?

Is this connected to an onboard IDE controller, if so is it 32 or 48 bit
capable, do you have atleast SP1 installed?

Check out this KB article
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013

r.

"darksydeavenger" <darksydeavenger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:67749BC2-A97B-45EF-9C60-3D25EFB4FB1B@microsoft.com...
> I've recently purchased a Maxtor 160GB hard drive and split it into two
> partitions:
>
> 1) 60GB system files (where windows boots from and where I install every
> program)
> 2) ~90GB (where I put all my recreational files and I have all my writings
> etc.
>
> Well, as it would turn out, I reboot my computer to find out that my ~90GB
> partition claims that it is RAW and needs to be formatted. When I've used
> various programs to look at the partition (Active Partition Recovery
> DEMO),
> it shows all the files on that partition to be intact and waiting to be
> used.
>
> ANy ideas on what is going on and how I can fix this? Need more
> information
> than what I've given?

Well, if you can see the files by using a recovery program I suggest you BUY
the program to recover said files.

--

Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"darksydeavenger" <darksydeavenger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:67749BC2-A97B-45EF-9C60-3D25EFB4FB1B@microsoft.com...
> I've recently purchased a Maxtor 160GB hard drive and split it into two
> partitions:
>
> 1) 60GB system files (where windows boots from and where I install every
> program)
> 2) ~90GB (where I put all my recreational files and I have all my writings
> etc.
>
> Well, as it would turn out, I reboot my computer to find out that my ~90GB
> partition claims that it is RAW and needs to be formatted. When I've used
> various programs to look at the partition (Active Partition Recovery
> DEMO),
> it shows all the files on that partition to be intact and waiting to be
> used.
>
> ANy ideas on what is going on and how I can fix this? Need more
> information
> than what I've given?

In regards to purchasing said program, I can't afford $30 for a program that
I am unsure of. And since the program was DOS based I would never pay more
than $10 for it.

Onto some more info about my evil hard drive partition

Windows XP Service Pack 2 is installed.
And I have no idea about the IDE and am not really sure how to figure that
out.

As for backing things up, I have no more space on my other hard drive
partition or my other hard drive to consider this (yeah I screwed myself
there).

BUT

I've ruled out a virus, because our Unniversity has a few firewalls in place
and it has a log in that requires a virus scanning program before you log
into the internet. If a virus slipped thorugh, my computer would have caught
it. I've tried fixing the MBR through the windows recovery disk, but that
didn't do anything. So basically I have no idea what is wrong other than the
fact that I can't get into the drive.

I installed a computer game (Guild Wars BETA) that could have done something
to the boot record of my 90GB partition.

any more thoughts?

"darksydeavenger" <darksydeavenger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:67749BC2-A97B-45EF-9C60-3D25EFB4FB1B@microsoft.com...
> I've recently purchased a Maxtor 160GB hard drive and split it into two
> partitions:
>
> 1) 60GB system files (where windows boots from and where I install every
> program)
> 2) ~90GB (where I put all my recreational files and I have all my writings
> etc.
>
> Well, as it would turn out, I reboot my computer to find out that my ~90GB
> partition claims that it is RAW and needs to be formatted. When I've used
> various programs to look at the partition (Active Partition Recovery
> DEMO),
> it shows all the files on that partition to be intact and waiting to be
> used.
>
> ANy ideas on what is going on and how I can fix this? Need more
> information
> than what I've given?

Copy the files elsewhere, format the partition and copy them back.

Do you also suggest that Microsoft give him his money back for Windows since
he bought that and it's supposed to do what he wants to do?

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> Well, if you can see the files by using a recovery program I suggest you BUY
> the program to recover said files.
>
> --
>
> Regards:
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
>

> "darksydeavenger" <darksydeavenger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:67749BC2-A97B-45EF-9C60-3D25EFB4FB1B@microsoft.com...
> > I've recently purchased a Maxtor 160GB hard drive and split it into two
> > partitions:
> >
> > 1) 60GB system files (where windows boots from and where I install every
> > program)
> > 2) ~90GB (where I put all my recreational files and I have all my writings
> > etc.
> >
> > Well, as it would turn out, I reboot my computer to find out that my ~90GB
> > partition claims that it is RAW and needs to be formatted. When I've used
> > various programs to look at the partition (Active Partition Recovery
> > DEMO),
> > it shows all the files on that partition to be intact and waiting to be
> > used.
> >
> > ANy ideas on what is going on and how I can fix this? Need more
> > information
> > than what I've given?

<snipped>

shortroundj wrote:
> Do you also suggest that Microsoft give him his money back for
> Windows since he bought that and it's supposed to do what he wants to
> do?

Actually, the OP with the recovery problem only purchased a license to USE
Windows XP - not Windows XP itself... It's a minor point - but sdomething
people usually blindly agree to during the installation.

--
<- Shenan ->

Suggestions at bottom..

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Actually, the OP with the recovery problem only purchased a license
> to USE Windows XP - not Windows XP itself... It's a minor point -
> but sdomething people usually blindly agree to during the
> installation.

Can you use the Windows XP CD, boot into recovery mode and see both
partitions?
Can you put the hard drive (as a slave) into another system and see it to
get the data off?
Might I suggest you try the last FREEWARE version of Drive Rescue (1.9d):
http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/page5.html

--
<- Shenan ->