Failing Partition

Ok, I've partitioned my hard drive into a 60GB partition and a 90GB
partition. Just this past week I rebooted my computer only to find that the
90GB partition to be RAW and requiring a format. Mind you, I had about half
of the 90GB partition filled with important documents and backed up files
(stuff I would rather not lose). My question is what could be the problem and
is there a free way to fix it?

I find it really amusing how so many people post that they have lost
IMPORTANT files (files that they can't afford to be without) and then ask
about FREE recovery software.

Hell, if the files are so important, buy a good recovery program. Then,
learn how to use your computer and protect your information so you never have
to use the recovery application a second time!

Such stupidity!

"darksydeavenger" <darksydeavenger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:2E6A0EEE-5963-45EE-8E19-099BC25E8FA3@microsoft.com...
> Ok, I've partitioned my hard drive into a 60GB partition and a 90GB
> partition. Just this past week I rebooted my computer only to find that
the
> 90GB partition to be RAW and requiring a format. Mind you, I had about
half
> of the 90GB partition filled with important documents and backed up files
> (stuff I would rather not lose). My question is what could be the problem
and
> is there a free way to fix it?

If you have formatted your lost partition then it's probably too late
to retrieve anything. Otherwise one of the following tools might
help:

http://www.restorer2000.com/r2k.htm (to restore NTFS partitions - seems to
work well)
http://www.hddrecovery.com.au
http://bootmaster.filerecovery.biz (has NTFS undelete tools too)
http://www.runtime.org/ (GetDataBack)
www.acronis.com (RecoveryExpert)

There appears to be something badly amiss with your backup
strategy. The iron rule of computing says that all important files
must be backed up weekly to at least one but prefereably two
or more independent media. If you use your main disk as a
backup medium then your backup is only marginally effective.
You will lose all of your data in the case of
- Hard disk failure
- File corruption due to OS problems
- Overwriting the only good backup copy with a corrupted copy of a file
- Inadvertent deletion
- Fire, theft, lightning

One or two extra disks, with cradles, would address these issues
quite nicely.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I find it amusing that so many people partition a hard drive when they
can buy a controller card for around $40 and use up to 4 additional
drives. A hell of a lot safer than partitions.

"Try Reading - it's enlightening!"
<TryReadingitsenlightening@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I find it really amusing how so many people post that they have lost
| IMPORTANT files (files that they can't afford to be without) and then ask
| about FREE recovery software.
|
| Hell, if the files are so important, buy a good recovery program. Then,
| learn how to use your computer and protect your information so you never
have
| to use the recovery application a second time!
|
| Such stupidity!
|
| "darksydeavenger" wrote:
|
| > Ok, I've partitioned my hard drive into a 60GB partition and a 90GB
| > partition. Just this past week I rebooted my computer only to find that
the
| > 90GB partition to be RAW and requiring a format. Mind you, I had about
half
| > of the 90GB partition filled with important documents and backed up
files
| > (stuff I would rather not lose). My question is what could be the
problem and
| > is there a free way to fix it?

Jax

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2002

"Frank" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message
>I find it amusing that so many people partition a hard drive when they
> can buy a controller card for around $40 and use up to 4 additional
> drives. A hell of a lot safer than partitions.

Even with that, what if your computer catches fire?? I have a backup
partition, external USB drive, and important files backed to CD/DVD.

FWIW, JAX