mikek65051

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
Can someone tell me what may be wrong here?
I have 7 computers networked in my office. I have an action tech dls modem connecting to my dlink wireless 4 port router 2 computers(#1 &2) are plugged in there then I have a cable running 20 feet to a linksys 10/100 5 port switch. From there I have 3 computers(# 3,4 &5) hooked up within 10 feet then my personal computer (#6) is plugged in 80 feet away. I forgot there is one computer(#7) that has a dlink wireless card about 30 feet from the router.
This is the problem, most of the time internet is super slow on computers 1-5.
I don't know if this matters but computers are.
#1 amd 1.2 duron with pc chips 810lmr using onboard network card. This one actually works more often then #'s 2-5 128 ram.win xp pro
#2 amd 700 duron with pc chips 810lmr using onboard card 128 ram win 98
#3-5 Old IBM p2 400 with onboard 10/100 and 128 ram win 98

#6 Emachines 1.7 Celeron 128ram onboard card. win xp home

#7 Compaq 450 Celeron 64mb ram wireless network card.win 98

Oh yeah printing and comunications with the other computers is woring fine.
suggestions?

Need more info just let me know.
Thanks!

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
well, its hard to tell, but at first glance i would say the first five computers are garbage. pc chips? for shame... ibm? yea.. any way. ping some websites you know work well on the emachine and the compaq and work bad on the first 5. is there high latency on the first 5?

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

Log on to <A HREF="http://www.dslreports.com" target="_new">http://www.dslreports.com</A> make a free account.

Go to there tests page and run the tests on each machine.

Download DRTCP from there website and then run there TWEEK TEST. Fill out the info. From there reccomendatiom page set each machines RWIN to there suggestions. Reboot and run the speed test again.
My downloads increased from 35-45KBs to 110-150KBs after doing these tweeks

I aint signing nothing!!!

G

Try the speed tweaking first, as suggested by a fellow poster. Then when you see that there is no hope go buy decent NIC's for the ones that still aren't up to par.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by knewton on 02/22/03 08:14 AM.</EM></FONT></P>