Hard disk moved to WinXP and back to Win2000 problem

I moved my 250gb hard disk from my Win2K Pro SP3 at home to WinXP Pro SP1a at work.
All worked fine while copying the information needed at work.
Took the disk home again, plugged in, switched on, booted up.
Went to access the disk via my computer and there was one file being displayed, an avi file if that matters at all.
To the left it still showed the disk as having 12GB free, so i knew my data was still there.
Ran chkdsk /x t: (it was a data disk so was fine to unmount it) and it appeared to be fixing the filesystem.
I think it said I130$ or something like that (wasnt planning on the disk failing afterwards so didnt take note). After chkdsk had
completed all my files appeared back as they should. Great, or not.
Upon opening some files, to test, rar and zip files were complaining about being corrupt, i opened a random AVI file which appeared
to open another file on the disk, a VOB sample I had made (double clicking file1 opened file2, like a shortcut would). I tried some
of my mp3s, they appeared in winamp fine but some reported wrong time lengths and some had no time length at all.
The only thing I could think of was some differences in the NTFS indexes from 2K to XP and its messed up the pointers to the files
on the disk.
A friend suggested using Norton System Works to try to repair the filesystem rather than the Microsoft tools, thought I'd try here
first incase anyone had any better ideas?

Thanks

"Spec" <1@2> wrote in message news:OEBl0RQwEHA.2016@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>I moved my 250gb hard disk from my Win2K Pro SP3 at home to WinXP Pro SP1a
>at work.
> All worked fine while copying the information needed at work.
> Took the disk home again, plugged in, switched on, booted up.
> Went to access the disk via my computer and there was one file being
> displayed, an avi file if that matters at all.
> To the left it still showed the disk as having 12GB free, so i knew my
> data was still there.
> Ran chkdsk /x t: (it was a data disk so was fine to unmount it) and it
> appeared to be fixing the filesystem.
> I think it said I130$ or something like that (wasnt planning on the disk
> failing afterwards so didnt take note). After chkdsk had
> completed all my files appeared back as they should. Great, or not.
> Upon opening some files, to test, rar and zip files were complaining about
> being corrupt, i opened a random AVI file which appeared
> to open another file on the disk, a VOB sample I had made (double clicking
> file1 opened file2, like a shortcut would). I tried some
> of my mp3s, they appeared in winamp fine but some reported wrong time
> lengths and some had no time length at all.
> The only thing I could think of was some differences in the NTFS indexes
> from 2K to XP and its messed up the pointers to the files
> on the disk.
> A friend suggested using Norton System Works to try to repair the
> filesystem rather than the Microsoft tools, thought I'd try here
> first incase anyone had any better ideas?
>
> Thanks

Any file system differences shouldn't have made a difference, the only OS
issue I can imagine is that running a W2K file utility on the XP drive might
be a problem; not that I've ever done it, but running older utilities on a
newer system is generally not a good idea. On the other hand, just having
the XP drive connected to a W2K machine shouldn't have done any damage, or
people with multi-boot systems would be losing files right and left.

If it was my drive, I'd avoid running any sort of disk utilities at all as
most of the time, their fixes are not reversible, and if it misreads the
file system or partition and tries to repair it the wrong way, you'll lose
everything. Better to try some data recovery software and see if you can
salvage the files first. Then you can try some disk utilities and see what
happens.