Bluetooth (Wireless) - Compatibility

I'm looking to buy a Wireless Bluetooth mouse for my laptop. I do not
believe my laptop is "Bluetooth-enabled" with a Bluetooth adapter built in.
Can I just use one of the existing USB 2.0 ports? One of the mice I was
looking at, put out by Kensington does not come with an adapter, because it
was made for computers that are already "Bluetooth-enabled". You can check
it out here:
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10365412&loc=101&hdwt=22117&sp=1.
I have Windows XP Home SP2 installed. Is that enough to make this mouse
work, or do I need to buy one with an adapter? I was thinking about this
one, too:
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10373942&loc=101&hdwt=22117&sp=1.
I wasn't sure if I just need to install a driver, in order to use a bluetooth
mouse adapterless.

It seems like I need an adapter, just like I need a wireless adapter in
order to connect to my LAN/WLAN.

Thank you very much for your time.
1 answer Last reply
More about bluetooth wireless compatibility

    "pgulezian" <pgulezian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

    > I'm looking to buy a Wireless Bluetooth mouse for my
    > laptop. I do not
    > believe my laptop is "Bluetooth-enabled" with a Bluetooth
    > adapter built in.
    > Can I just use one of the existing USB 2.0 ports? One of
    > the mice I was

    If Bluetooth support is not built into the computer, you
    will need what's called a Bluetooth "dongle". This is a
    little gadget (mine could do service as a key ring holder)
    that fits into a USB port and provides Bluetooth
    connectivity. See for example
    http://www.indianchild.com/bluetooth-dongle.htm or do a
    Google search on "Bluetooth dongle". (Include the quotes.)

    They're cheap and readily available. Not all of them seem to
    support USB 2.0.

    --
    Bob
    Kanyak's Doghouse