Printer Port Dongle (XP SP2 refuses to work with it...)

mark

I am running XP Pro and recently installed SP2. Immediately the dongle
hardlock for my CAD software (OneCNC2003) quit recognizing the hardware
dongle in the printer port. I called the company and they were little help.
In fact the computer refuses to even load the driver for the dongle with SP2
installed. Removing the dongle didn't help, neither did turning off the virus
protection & firewall. I Uninstalled SP2 and immediately it worked fine. I
really wanted to take advantage of the new features of SP2, but guess I will
have to wait till this is resolved.

How did you get XP Pro to recognize the dongle in the first place. Have 2
friends using old DOS programs, and both can use the programs only with
Windows 98 or earlier.

"Mark@CNCWyoming.com" <Mark@CNCWyoming.com@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:7BD41A1B-7965-401B-B1C2-9FF52F2AFDC1@microsoft.com...
> I am running XP Pro and recently installed SP2. Immediately the dongle
> hardlock for my CAD software (OneCNC2003) quit recognizing the hardware
> dongle in the printer port. I called the company and they were little
help.
> In fact the computer refuses to even load the driver for the dongle with
SP2
> installed. Removing the dongle didn't help, neither did turning off the
virus
> protection & firewall. I Uninstalled SP2 and immediately it worked fine.
> really wanted to take advantage of the new features of SP2, but guess I
will
> have to wait till this is resolved.

I know nothing about One CNC.

What sort of parallel port key does it use? I have recently used two
unrelated pieces of software that use a Sentinel parallel port driver from
Sentinel (http://www.safenet-inc.com/). Version 5.41.1 works fine for me
under XP SP2. I mention that not because I expect that you're using a
Sentinel driver, but only to point out that some parallel port drivers can
run under XP SP2.

If One CNC uses a third-party driver, perhaps there's an upgrade from that
third party. (Whether One CNC 2003 would be compatible with it...)

Good luck.

Bob Knowlden

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 18:46:46 -0500, "Anne" <noname@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>How did you get XP Pro to recognize the dongle in the first place. Have 2
>friends using old DOS programs, and both can use the programs only with
>Windows 98 or earlier.

You should try a program called userport (do a google search for
userport.zip). It will set NT/2K/XP so your program can have
direct addess to the parallel port just as in win 95/98.

>"Mark@CNCWyoming.com" <Mark@CNCWyoming.com@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>in message news:7BD41A1B-7965-401B-B1C2-9FF52F2AFDC1@microsoft.com...
>> I am running XP Pro and recently installed SP2. Immediately the dongle
>> hardlock for my CAD software (OneCNC2003) quit recognizing the hardware
>> dongle in the printer port. I called the company and they were little
>help.
>> In fact the computer refuses to even load the driver for the dongle with
>SP2
>> installed. Removing the dongle didn't help, neither did turning off the
>virus
>> protection & firewall. I Uninstalled SP2 and immediately it worked fine.
>> really wanted to take advantage of the new features of SP2, but guess I
>will
>> have to wait till this is resolved.

I downloaded the driver. It will be a couple of days before I can get the
dongle to try it out. I will let you guys know.
Thanks,
Anne

"Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 18:46:46 -0500, "Anne" <noname@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >How did you get XP Pro to recognize the dongle in the first place. Have 2
> >friends using old DOS programs, and both can use the programs only with
> >Windows 98 or earlier.
>
> You should try a program called userport (do a google search for
> userport.zip). It will set NT/2K/XP so your program can have
> direct addess to the parallel port just as in win 95/98.
>
> >"Mark@CNCWyoming.com" <Mark@CNCWyoming.com@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote
> >in message news:7BD41A1B-7965-401B-B1C2-9FF52F2AFDC1@microsoft.com...
> >> I am running XP Pro and recently installed SP2. Immediately the dongle
> >> hardlock for my CAD software (OneCNC2003) quit recognizing the hardware
> >> dongle in the printer port. I called the company and they were little
> >help.
> >> In fact the computer refuses to even load the driver for the dongle
with
> >SP2
> >> installed. Removing the dongle didn't help, neither did turning off the
> >virus
> >> protection & firewall. I Uninstalled SP2 and immediately it worked
fine.
> >> really wanted to take advantage of the new features of SP2, but guess I
> >will
> >> have to wait till this is resolved.

The User Port Program looks promising, I need a way to
direct map COM1: for a special HVAC program designed for
windows 98. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks for the idea.

James

pcrochet

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
many computer came with pre-installed computer image using generic drivers. that mean the same image is deployed on many different computer model, chipset and motherboard using generic drivers. I can make my DOS lpt dongle work on any of my 3 differents HP computers now. Here how i diagnose the problem and found my solution... First i have backup the actual XP installation using ghost. I tried to determine if it was the bios or any other hardware compatibility issue by installing DOS on this computer. i have install the software and start it... validation trough the dongle LPT1 work perfectly. Starting from there i know its an windows XP drivers and configuration problem... instead of using the xp image that came with the computer when we received it.... i have install a new xp installation from scratch... an original not the cd or dvd that come with the HP computers but a real xp cd or dvd. after the installation of xp i have install the dos application and make a try and it work! as a precaution i did all xp update from sp1 to sp2 and i have done also another new installation from scratch and upgrade it from sp1 to sp3 via windows update ant the dos software can still work perfectly! since there i have never used any pre-install xp that came with the new computer anymore.... those generic drivers that are use seems to cause problem!!!