connecting IPAQ 2215 to internet via bluetooth network

July 7, 2004 2:40:43 AM

hi:

just bought an ipaq 2215. also bought averatec notebook with built in
802.11 wireless networking.
I currently use a grps air card to connect the notebook to the internet via
a t-mobile plan. I also bought a bluetooth USB adapter for the laptop so I
can network the IPAQ and the notebook PC.

my question is (after getting the two devices connected via bluetooth) can I
use the internet connection on the laptop as a internet router to connect
the IPAQ to the internet. if not, what are my other best options for
connecting the ipaq to the internet?

thanks for any responses.

blyth austin
kaysville ,UT
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 3:30:11 PM

You can do it.

The simplest option would be to do a Bluetooth Activesync and use the
passthrough functionality of Activesync to get to the internet.

The second option is to activate ICS on your notebook and then connect via
Bluetooth LAN. Your PPC will receive an IP address from the notebook and
then be able to connect.

Note that if you connect your notebook to networks you should verify if the
networks IP addresses don't conflict with the standard IP address used by
ICS

--
Helio Diamant - MS/MVP Mobile Devices
http://www.pocketpcfreak.com

"BA" <blyth_austin@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> hi:
>
> just bought an ipaq 2215. also bought averatec notebook with built in
> 802.11 wireless networking.
> I currently use a grps air card to connect the notebook to the internet
via
> a t-mobile plan. I also bought a bluetooth USB adapter for the laptop so
> can network the IPAQ and the notebook PC.
>
> my question is (after getting the two devices connected via bluetooth) can
> use the internet connection on the laptop as a internet router to connect
> the IPAQ to the internet. if not, what are my other best options for
> connecting the ipaq to the internet?
>
> thanks for any responses.
>
> blyth austin
> kaysville ,UT

Anonymous
July 8, 2004 9:52:42 AM

thanks for the info helio:

I have got is most the way configured but have ran into a slight problem. I
bought a USB bluetooth adapter installed on the laptop today and I enable
internet sharing on the laptop for the GRPS wireless card. however, the
only way I am thus far able to get the ipaq to access the internet via the
grps card (via the laptop) is if I dock it and plug the cradle into the
laptop. if I remove the ipaq from the cradle, then the internet will no
longer work. (I think that tells me the bluetooth network is not configured
correctly).

I keep getting prompted on the ipaq saying I need to set up a proxy server
to access the internet. I can't figure out how to get the notebook to
automatically kick out an IP address to the ipaq. I did try putting in the
ip address of the grps card as the proxy server but it did not work. also,
I am not sure exactly how the enable "PASS THRU" on bluetooth activesync.

thanks for your help, any additional comments are much appreciated.

BA

kaysville ,UT

"BA" <blyth_austin@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> just bought an ipaq 2215. also bought averatec notebook with built in
> 802.11 wireless networking.
> I currently use a grps air card to connect the notebook to the internet
via
> a t-mobile plan. I also bought a bluetooth USB adapter for the laptop so
> can network the IPAQ and the notebook PC.
>
> my question is (after getting the two devices connected via bluetooth) can
> use the internet connection on the laptop as a internet router to connect
> the IPAQ to the internet. if not, what are my other best options for
> connecting the ipaq to the internet?
>
> thanks for any responses.
>
> blyth austin
> kaysville ,UT

July 8, 2004 5:06:50 PM

Actually if you do a Bluetooth Activesync it should work just like in a
Craddle connection. I work like that.

--

> thanks for the info helio:
>
> I have got is most the way configured but have ran into a slight problem.
> bought a USB bluetooth adapter installed on the laptop today and I enable
> internet sharing on the laptop for the GRPS wireless card. however, the
> only way I am thus far able to get the ipaq to access the internet via the
> grps card (via the laptop) is if I dock it and plug the cradle into the
> laptop. if I remove the ipaq from the cradle, then the internet will no
> longer work. (I think that tells me the bluetooth network is not
configured
> correctly).
>
> I keep getting prompted on the ipaq saying I need to set up a proxy server
> to access the internet. I can't figure out how to get the notebook to
> automatically kick out an IP address to the ipaq. I did try putting in
the
> ip address of the grps card as the proxy server but it did not work.
also,
> I am not sure exactly how the enable "PASS THRU" on bluetooth activesync.
>
> thanks for your help, any additional comments are much appreciated.
>
> BA
>
> kaysville ,UT
>
> "BA" <blyth_austin@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> >

> > just bought an ipaq 2215. also bought averatec notebook with built in
> > 802.11 wireless networking.
> > I currently use a grps air card to connect the notebook to the internet
> via
> > a t-mobile plan. I also bought a bluetooth USB adapter for the laptop
so
> > can network the IPAQ and the notebook PC.
> >
> > my question is (after getting the two devices connected via bluetooth)
can
> > use the internet connection on the laptop as a internet router to
connect
> > the IPAQ to the internet. if not, what are my other best options for
> > connecting the ipaq to the internet?
> >
> > thanks for any responses.
> >
> > blyth austin
> > kaysville ,UT