GA-7VAX On boot my HD is not recognised as ATA 100 but PIO 4

I have a 120GB WD HD that is capable of running UDMA 5 but the boot
screen only shows PIO 4. This limits XP to recognizing a speed of DMA
mode 2 only. The system worked well for several months before this
problem. My backup HD 40GB Maxtor has the same problem.

The bios has been checked using an old bios software and the most
recent. Is the problem a faulty mainboard or bios.

D wrote:
> I have a 120GB WD HD that is capable of running UDMA 5 but the boot
> screen only shows PIO 4. This limits XP to recognizing a speed of DMA
> mode 2 only. The system worked well for several months before this
> problem. My backup HD 40GB Maxtor has the same problem.
>
> The bios has been checked using an old bios software and the most
> recent. Is the problem a faulty mainboard or bios.

Is the WD 120GB drive on an IDE channel by itself, as Master ? If so, remove
the jumper entirely. Set the BIOS to autodetect.

The HD is set up as the lone master with no jumpers. I have tried my
backup HD,
which is ATA 133 capable, with the same results.

S.Heenan wrote:
> D wrote:
>
>>I have a 120GB WD HD that is capable of running UDMA 5 but the boot
>>screen only shows PIO 4. This limits XP to recognizing a speed of DMA
>>mode 2 only. The system worked well for several months before this
>>problem. My backup HD 40GB Maxtor has the same problem.
>>
>>The bios has been checked using an old bios software and the most
>>recent. Is the problem a faulty mainboard or bios.
>

> Is the WD 120GB drive on an IDE channel by itself, as Master ? If so, remove
> the jumper entirely. Set the BIOS to autodetect.

lee

D wrote:

> I have a 120GB WD HD that is capable of running UDMA 5 but the boot
> screen only shows PIO 4. This limits XP to recognizing a speed of DMA
> mode 2 only. The system worked well for several months before this
> problem. My backup HD 40GB Maxtor has the same problem.
>
> The bios has been checked using an old bios software and the most
> recent. Is the problem a faulty mainboard or bios.

Asuming the bios is set correctly, have you tried a different cable?
Those 80 conductor cables are quite fragile, I've had to change several
that have developed faults for no apparent reason.
The "round" ones seem to be worse for this...

Lee

D wrote:
> The HD is set up as the lone master with no jumpers. I have tried my
> backup HD,
> which is ATA 133 capable, with the same results.

Try another 80 wire 40 pin cable. Enter the Standard CMOS Features screen.
Press enter to autodetect each drive.

When booted into Windows, go into the Device Manager, choose DMA if
Available. Apply|OK|

I can remember having the same problem with those GB boards. Once the BIOS
detected the drive correctly, the setting didn't change.

I have tried 2 cables and three HD's. Has anyone had a problem with the
MB IDE ports malfunctioning? I have also tried using XP SR2 with no
help except killing my MS Money progam.

Dale