System Keeps Rebooting GA-8IK1100

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
April 3, 2004 6:03:24 AM

Hi,

I just put in a new mobo and cpu in my system. I'll give the specs below.
When I boot up, it POSTs, properly detects my hard drives and cd-roms and
then it goes to a prompt that tells me Windows did not properly load on the
previous attempt. It asks me to select from normally starting Windows, or
Safe Mode, or Safe Mode with Command Prompt or Safe Mood with Network
Support. No matter which I select, the systems just reboots and we repeat
this process over and over. What can be the problem? I have tried:
1. unhooking all IDE devices but my primary hard drive
2. putting the primary HD jumper to Master, Cable Select and none
3. using a different IDE cable

My systems specs are:

Gigabyte mobo, GA-81k1100
P4 2.8 w/hyper threading
1 gig of memory (PC2700) installed in two channels
WD Caviar 80 GB HD - master
WD 40 GB HD - slave
FDD
Sony DVD burner
Sony cd-rom
Windows XP Professional
Zoom 56K modem
ATI Radeon 9200 128 mg video card

I would appreciate any suggestions to get this baby up and running again!
Thanks!!
Sally
April 3, 2004 11:25:48 AM

Hi Sally,

Whenever you install a new motherboard, you have to either run a repair
installation of Windows XP or better yet, format your OS partition and
clean-install the operating system from scratch. There are just too many
registry settings created when installing an operating system on particular
hardware that will no longer be valid with a different chipset, CPU, other
onboard chips, etc. that come with a new motherboard/CPU upgrade.

Also, you have the 875P chipset and a CPU that supports an 800 MHz front
side bus, but that PC2700 memory will limit you to a lower 533 MHz front
side bus speed. Make sure that your BIOS bus speeds for CPU and memory are
set for 133 (quad-pumped to 533) and not 200 (quad-pumped to 800).

Hope this helps,
Russell
http://tastycomputers.com

"juzuz" <juzuz@dizplace.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I just put in a new mobo and cpu in my system. I'll give the specs below.
> When I boot up, it POSTs, properly detects my hard drives and cd-roms and
> then it goes to a prompt that tells me Windows did not properly load on
the
> previous attempt. It asks me to select from normally starting Windows, or
> Safe Mode, or Safe Mode with Command Prompt or Safe Mood with Network
> Support. No matter which I select, the systems just reboots and we repeat
> this process over and over. What can be the problem? I have tried:
> 1. unhooking all IDE devices but my primary hard drive
> 2. putting the primary HD jumper to Master, Cable Select and none
> 3. using a different IDE cable
>
> My systems specs are:
>
> Gigabyte mobo, GA-81k1100
> P4 2.8 w/hyper threading
> 1 gig of memory (PC2700) installed in two channels
> WD Caviar 80 GB HD - master
> WD 40 GB HD - slave
> FDD
> Sony DVD burner
> Sony cd-rom
> Windows XP Professional
> Zoom 56K modem
> ATI Radeon 9200 128 mg video card
>
> I would appreciate any suggestions to get this baby up and running again!
> Thanks!!
> Sally

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 3, 2004 1:27:00 PM

>I just put in a new mobo and cpu in my system. I'll give the specs below.

Old mobo??

>Windows XP Professional

Normally you have to make a repair of XP after you changed your
motherboard. After it was successfull you have to install the latest
INF-Update from intel.

Udo Kammer
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2004 1:58:40 AM

So, I should boot from the CD and select to repair the installation? Is
this why it keeps rebooting? I thought I tried the suggestions Russel gave
and changed the CPU Host Clock Control to 133. But it still reboots.
Perhaps I should boot from the cd and attempt the repair? Old MOBO was an
Asus P4S533.

Thanks,
Sally

"Udo Kammer" <usenet.spam@gmx.org> wrote in message
> >I just put in a new mobo and cpu in my system. I'll give the specs
below.

> Old mobo??
>
> >Windows XP Professional
>
> Normally you have to make a repair of XP after you changed your
> motherboard. After it was successfull you have to install the latest
> INF-Update from intel.
>
> Udo Kammer
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2004 1:59:22 AM

Russell,

I changed the CPU Host Clock Control to 133. Is this correct? It still
reboots, do I have to do a repair of XP now? Or should it boot to Windows?

Sally

"Russell" <rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replacedotwith "."> wrote in
message news:0Gtbc.63608$K91.153299@attbi_s02...
> Hi Sally,
>
> Whenever you install a new motherboard, you have to either run a repair
> installation of Windows XP or better yet, format your OS partition and
> clean-install the operating system from scratch. There are just too many
> registry settings created when installing an operating system on
particular
> hardware that will no longer be valid with a different chipset, CPU, other
> onboard chips, etc. that come with a new motherboard/CPU upgrade.
>
> Also, you have the 875P chipset and a CPU that supports an 800 MHz front
> side bus, but that PC2700 memory will limit you to a lower 533 MHz front
> side bus speed. Make sure that your BIOS bus speeds for CPU and memory
are
> set for 133 (quad-pumped to 533) and not 200 (quad-pumped to 800).
>
> Hope this helps,
> Russell
> http://tastycomputers.com
>
> "juzuz" <juzuz@dizplace.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just put in a new mobo and cpu in my system. I'll give the specs
below.
> > When I boot up, it POSTs, properly detects my hard drives and cd-roms
and
> > then it goes to a prompt that tells me Windows did not properly load on
> the
> > previous attempt. It asks me to select from normally starting Windows,
or
> > Safe Mode, or Safe Mode with Command Prompt or Safe Mood with Network
> > Support. No matter which I select, the systems just reboots and we
repeat
> > this process over and over. What can be the problem? I have tried:
> > 1. unhooking all IDE devices but my primary hard drive
> > 2. putting the primary HD jumper to Master, Cable Select and none
> > 3. using a different IDE cable
> >
> > My systems specs are:
> >
> > Gigabyte mobo, GA-81k1100
> > P4 2.8 w/hyper threading
> > 1 gig of memory (PC2700) installed in two channels
> > WD Caviar 80 GB HD - master
> > WD 40 GB HD - slave
> > FDD
> > Sony DVD burner
> > Sony cd-rom
> > Windows XP Professional
> > Zoom 56K modem
> > ATI Radeon 9200 128 mg video card
> >
> > I would appreciate any suggestions to get this baby up and running
again!
> > Thanks!!
> > Sally

April 4, 2004 3:52:28 AM

Hi Sally,

You must do a repair install if you've installed a different motherboard and
haven't formatted your hard drive and performed a clean operating system
installation (which is preferred, by the way.) To perform a repair
installation of Windows XP on a hard drive that was working before you
changed out the motherboard, see the instructions on my web site at
http://tastycomputers.com/support/faq/xp_repairinstall.....

I hope this helps,

> [...]
> > > Support. No matter which I select, the systems just reboots and we
> repeat
> > > this process over and over. What can be the problem? I have tried:
> > > 1. unhooking all IDE devices but my primary hard drive
> > > 2. putting the primary HD jumper to Master, Cable Select and none
> > > 3. using a different IDE cable
> > >
> > > My systems specs are:
> > >
> > > Gigabyte mobo, GA-81k1100
> > > P4 2.8 w/hyper threading
> > > 1 gig of memory (PC2700) installed in two channels
> > > WD Caviar 80 GB HD - master
> > > WD 40 GB HD - slave
> > > FDD
> > > Sony DVD burner
> > > Sony cd-rom
> > > Windows XP Professional
> > > Zoom 56K modem
> > > ATI Radeon 9200 128 mg video card
> > >
> > > I would appreciate any suggestions to get this baby up and running

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2004 7:25:33 AM

"juzuz" <juzuz@dizplace.com> wrote in message news:<MXobc.13405$lt2.12142@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> Hi,
>
> I just put in a new mobo and cpu in my system. I'll give the specs below.
> When I boot up, it POSTs, properly detects my hard drives and cd-roms and
> then it goes to a prompt that tells me Windows did not properly load on the
> previous attempt. It asks me to select from normally starting Windows, or
> Safe Mode, or Safe Mode with Command Prompt or Safe Mood with Network
> Support. No matter which I select, the systems just reboots and we repeat
> this process over and over. What can be the problem? I have tried:
> 1. unhooking all IDE devices but my primary hard drive
> 2. putting the primary HD jumper to Master, Cable Select and none
> 3. using a different IDE cable
>
> My systems specs are:
>
> Gigabyte mobo, GA-81k1100
> P4 2.8 w/hyper threading
> 1 gig of memory (PC2700) installed in two channels
> WD Caviar 80 GB HD - master
> WD 40 GB HD - slave
> FDD
> Sony DVD burner
> Sony cd-rom
> Windows XP Professional
> Zoom 56K modem
> ATI Radeon 9200 128 mg video card
>
> I would appreciate any suggestions to get this baby up and running again!
> Thanks!!
> Sally
I think that the computer would be able(99%) at least to get into safe
mode even if you have changed the mobo.It might be the case of a
virus.Check your pc with disks made by Norton or other antivirus
soft(you have got to go to another pc with norton install to make the
disks).
Second possibility is something is wrong with your hardware
configuration. Try these:
1) Set AGP to 4x(or 2x if possible). Disable Agp fastwrites.(bios
settings)
2) Try a stronger Power Supply. One with P>=480W
3) Try other memory slots in your mobo or other memory dimms(if you
have available).
4) Try running in single ddr channel mode.It might be the case
memories cant synchronize for dual channel operation.
5) Try one memory module at a time(and single channel operation
ofcourse).
6) Check Temperatures(Cpu , mobo).
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2004 7:42:54 AM

Russell,

I will certainly let you know. I'm assuming that I did the right thing with
the CPU since you didn't comment on that part of my post. And, I'm going to
order some new memory that will work with my new MOBO and CPU!

message news:MeHbc.174617$_w.1816021@attbi_s53...
> Hi Sally,
>
> You must do a repair install if you've installed a different motherboard
and
> haven't formatted your hard drive and performed a clean operating system
> installation (which is preferred, by the way.) To perform a repair
> installation of Windows XP on a hard drive that was working before you
> changed out the motherboard, see the instructions on my web site at
> http://tastycomputers.com/support/faq/xp_repairinstall.....
>
> I hope this helps,
> Russell
> http://tastycomputers.com
>
> "juzuz" <juzuz@dizplace.com> wrote in message
> > Russell,
> >
> > I changed the CPU Host Clock Control to 133. Is this correct? It still
> > reboots, do I have to do a repair of XP now? Or should it boot to
> Windows?
> >
> > Sally
> >

> > "Russell" <rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replacedotwith "."> wrote in
> > message news:0Gtbc.63608$K91.153299@attbi_s02...
> > > Hi Sally,
> > >
> > > Whenever you install a new motherboard, you have to either run a
repair
> > > installation of Windows XP or better yet, format your OS partition and
> > > clean-install the operating system from scratch. There are just too
> many
> > > registry settings created when installing an operating system on
> > particular
> > > hardware that will no longer be valid with a different chipset, CPU,
> other
> > > onboard chips, etc. that come with a new motherboard/CPU upgrade.
> > >
> > > Also, you have the 875P chipset and a CPU that supports an 800 MHz
front
> > > side bus, but that PC2700 memory will limit you to a lower 533 MHz
front
> > > side bus speed. Make sure that your BIOS bus speeds for CPU and
memory
> > are
> > > set for 133 (quad-pumped to 533) and not 200 (quad-pumped to 800).
> > >
> > > Hope this helps,
> > > Russell
> > > http://tastycomputers.com
> > >
> > > "juzuz" <juzuz@dizplace.com> wrote in message

> > below.
> > and
> on
> > > the
> Windows,
> > or
Network
> > repeat

> > again!

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2004 9:25:43 AM

Russell,

When I attempt to do this, it loads the necessary files and then reboots.
It just won't stop rebooting! Any other suggestions?

Saly

"Russell" <rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replacedotwith "."> wrote in
message news:MeHbc.174617$_w.1816021@attbi_s53...
> Hi Sally,
>
> You must do a repair install if you've installed a different motherboard
and
> haven't formatted your hard drive and performed a clean operating system
> installation (which is preferred, by the way.) To perform a repair
> installation of Windows XP on a hard drive that was working before you
> changed out the motherboard, see the instructions on my web site at
> http://tastycomputers.com/support/faq/xp_repairinstall.....
>
> I hope this helps,
> Russell
> http://tastycomputers.com
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 4, 2004 1:56:37 PM

>So, I should boot from the CD and select to repair the installation? Is
>this why it keeps rebooting? I thought I tried the suggestions Russel gave
>and changed the CPU Host Clock Control to 133. But it still reboots.
>Perhaps I should boot from the cd and attempt the repair? Old MOBO was an
>Asus P4S533.

You have changed from SIS-Chipset to intel-Chipset. They are not
compatible. Therefore you must do a repair installation of XP and then
you have to install the intel Chipset driver from CD, delivered with
the mobo. Otherwise your PC will not run.

Udo Kammer
April 4, 2004 11:16:17 PM

Hi Sally,

Ok, what type of hard drive are you attempting to boot from (SATA or IDE),
and to which port on the motherboard do you have it connected? (IDE1, IDE2,
SATA SB0 or SATA SB1.) You must set your motherboard's BIOS to be able to
boot from the drive. To verify this enter your motherboard's BIOS by
pressing the DEL key during the initial POST routine. When you're in,
select "Advanced BIOS Features" and set your hard disk boot priority, then
set your 1st, 2nd and 3rd boot devices to include Floppy, CDROM and Hard
Disk.

Then go into the "Integrated Peripherals" submenu and make sure that any
IDE/SATA ports are enabled, and IF your hard drive is an SATA drive, set the
on-chip SATA to Manual, then set SATA0 as SATA Port 0 and SATA1 as SATA Port
1. Then set SATA RAID function to enabled, and Save and Exit your BIOS. No
need to fiddle with SATA settings if you don't have an SATA drive installed.

Also, if your boot hard drive is IDE, make sure that the master/slave jumper
is set properly relating to where it is connected on the IDE cable.

Start by viewing your BIOS setting as mentioned above, then re-try the
repair installation. Let us know how things go. One more thing, when the
repair installation reboots, DO NOT press any key to BOOT FROM CD when
prompted, as that will start everything from scratch all over again. Let it
try to boot from the hard drive by not pressing anything.

> Russell,
>
> When I attempt to do this, it loads the necessary files and then reboots.
> It just won't stop rebooting! Any other suggestions?
>
> Saly
>

> "Russell" <rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replacedotwith "."> wrote in
> message news:MeHbc.174617$_w.1816021@attbi_s53...
> > Hi Sally,
> >
> > You must do a repair install if you've installed a different motherboard
> and
> > haven't formatted your hard drive and performed a clean operating system
> > installation (which is preferred, by the way.) To perform a repair
> > installation of Windows XP on a hard drive that was working before you
> > changed out the motherboard, see the instructions on my web site at
> > http://tastycomputers.com/support/faq/xp_repairinstall.....
> >
> > I hope this helps,
> > Russell
> > http://tastycomputers.com

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 5, 2004 1:19:19 AM

"Russell" <rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replacedotwith "."> wrote in
message news:0Gtbc.63608$K91.153299@attbi_s02...
> Hi Sally,
>
> Whenever you install a new motherboard, you have to either run a repair
> installation of Windows XP or better yet, format your OS partition and
> clean-install the operating system from scratch. There are just too many
> registry settings created when installing an operating system on
particular
> hardware that will no longer be valid with a different chipset, CPU, other
> onboard chips, etc. that come with a new motherboard/CPU upgrade.
>
> Also, you have the 875P chipset and a CPU that supports an 800 MHz front
> side bus, but that PC2700 memory will limit you to a lower 533 MHz front
> side bus speed. Make sure that your BIOS bus speeds for CPU and memory
are
> set for 133 (quad-pumped to 533) and not 200 (quad-pumped to 800).
>
> Hope this helps,
> Russell
> http://tastycomputers.com

Do not set the CPU to 133FSB! That will slow the CPU down from a 2.8 to a
1.8

You can set the memory multiplier to 3:4 of the CPU bus speed, keeping the
CPU at 200 and the RAM down at around 160. Which works out to be 800FSB and
DDR320.

Steve
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 5, 2004 2:13:26 AM

>Ok, what type of hard drive are you attempting to boot from (SATA or IDE),

It is not the HD, it is the chipset. If you can read in
<ksGbc.13607$Dv2.5024@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net> she has
changed from Asus P4S533 with SIS to the Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 with
intel. Without a repair installation of XP and the installation of the
intel chipsetdriver the computer will not boot.

Udo Kammer
April 5, 2004 2:13:27 AM

Yes, I told her to do a repair installation due to the changed chipset, but
she can't even do that without rebooting. In order for her to be able to
complete the repair installation and install the Intel chipset drivers, she
will have to have set her boot device settings correctly in her
motherboard's BIOS in order for her to get past the 1st reboot when doing
either a repair installation or a clean installation.

Russell Sullivan
http://tastycomputers.com

> >Ok, what type of hard drive are you attempting to boot from (SATA or
IDE),

> It is not the HD, it is the chipset. If you can read in
> <ksGbc.13607$Dv2.5024@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net> she has
> changed from Asus P4S533 with SIS to the Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 with
> intel. Without a repair installation of XP and the installation of the
> intel chipsetdriver the computer will not boot.
>
> Udo Kammer
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 5, 2004 2:13:27 AM

All:
I happened to have a brand new, never used Seagate HD here. I disconnected
my WD and attached the Seagate. I booted from the Win XP cd-rom and allowed
it to install the setup files. I selected a new installation of WinXP. It
got to "Please wait. . ." and went no further for over 8 minutes. I
rebooted, letting it attempt to boot from the Seagate HD and it gets to
Verifying DMI Pool Data and goes no farther.

Any suggestions? I'm beginning to think I have a defective MOBO? And I'm
getting desperate too!

!