System freezes when inserting CD/DVD Media

I'm running XP Media Edition on a Packard Bell I-extreme desktop with twin
optical drives. When I insert a disk of any kind into either drive, my system
freezes completely although the disk is still spinning. I have no mouse or
keyboard response and am forced to restart my computer the evil way (soft off
or cut power - the latter only when the former also fails)
Packard Bell have been no help at all (neither has the retailer).
I have not found newer hardware drivers, and XP keeps telling me that my
optical drives are working fine.
This problem has been apparent for quite a while. I know it is not an SP2
issue as it was happening before SP2 was released and well before i installed
it.

Any suggestions or assistance would be greaty appreciated.

I have found there to be two common causes of this. The first cause
would be the power supply that seems to have issues when starting up the
optical drive that somehow must draw away from other essential
components. The other cause would be bad chipset drivers. I would use
Everest Home from www.lavalys.com to find out what chipset is in your
computer (if you don't already know) and then get the latest drivers for
that chipset. Also, I would keep bugging Packard Bell until they help
you ;)

-----
Nathan McNulty
Swap gmail with name for email :)