GA-7VRXP & Winodws 2000 no-go !

Please, can somebody help me with this ?
Gigabyte GA-7VRXP + AMD XP2400 + 2 x 256 Mb DDR2700.
The above runs various versions of DOS, from either floppy or hard drive (60
Gb Seagate), fine - no problem at all.
If I try to install Windows 2000 it all seems to be going well until I get
to the point where it should be 'Starting to run Windows for the first
time' - and it just hangs - forever :-)
I have tried building a fresh install on a Duron 1200 and then swapping the
hard drive over - same problem: hangs after the 'starting Windows' progress
stripe has completed.
I've tried swapping both memory and motherboard (both GA-7VRXP Rev1.1) and
still the same problem.
This is driving me crazy !
Does anyone have any ideas on what I should try next ?
Any help would be very gratefully appreciated.
TIA,
Kevin.
14 answers Last reply
More about 7vrxp winodws 2000

    Hi Kevin,

    Turn virus / bootsector protection off in BIOS until install finished.
    It seems the lockup occurs when the videocard is about to go into graphics
    mode.
    First, try defensive settings in BIOS.
    Second, try swapping the card.
    When graphic mode turns on, the card draws more current.
    What is the wattage of your power supply?
    You'll need at least 300W, better 350W.
    Tell us more about your system.

    Installing windows on another mainboard, then swapping harddrive
    to other mainboard won't work.

    HTH,
    John7

    PS: to protect yourself from spam, don't post your email address here
    or insert something like REMOVE.

    "Kevin Lawton" <kepla@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    > Please, can somebody help me with this ?
    > Gigabyte GA-7VRXP + AMD XP2400 + 2 x 256 Mb DDR2700.
    > The above runs various versions of DOS, from either floppy or hard drive
    (60
    > Gb Seagate), fine - no problem at all.
    > If I try to install Windows 2000 it all seems to be going well until I get
    > to the point where it should be 'Starting to run Windows for the first
    > time' - and it just hangs - forever :-)
    > I have tried building a fresh install on a Duron 1200 and then swapping
    the
    > hard drive over - same problem: hangs after the 'starting Windows'
    progress
    > stripe has completed.
    > I've tried swapping both memory and motherboard (both GA-7VRXP Rev1.1) and
    > still the same problem.
    > This is driving me crazy !
    > Does anyone have any ideas on what I should try next ?
    > Any help would be very gratefully appreciated.
    > TIA,
    > Kevin.

    Thanks, John.
    BIOS virus protection is OFF.
    Have tried various BIOS settings for stability and not 'pushing my luck'
    with speed.
    The only graphics cards I have available at the moment are all Matrox ones -
    G400 and G450 - hardly the most demanding. I could buy a cheap one tomorrow
    if it would help (suggestions ?).
    330w power supply. Only one HD is the system so far, no CDRW or DVD yet,
    SCSI card and drives not installed yet.
    Could go out and buy a 500w PSU tomorrow if that is the problem, but
    wouldn't have thought it was necessary.
    XP2400 + GA-7VRXP + 512 Mb DDR + G400 + 60 Gb HD + floppy. That's it so far.
    Anything else I could try before I have to throw money at this problem ?
    Thanks,
    Kevin.

    John7 <nosp@mm.com> wrote:
    | Hi Kevin,
    |
    | Turn virus / bootsector protection off in BIOS until install finished.
    | It seems the lockup occurs when the videocard is about to go into
    | graphics mode.
    | First, try defensive settings in BIOS.
    | Second, try swapping the card.
    | When graphic mode turns on, the card draws more current.
    | What is the wattage of your power supply?
    | You'll need at least 300W, better 350W.
    | Tell us more about your system.
    |
    | Installing windows on another mainboard, then swapping harddrive
    | to other mainboard won't work.
    |
    | HTH,
    | John7
    |

    | PS: to protect yourself from spam, don't post your email address here
    | or insert something like REMOVE.
    |

    | "Kevin Lawton" <> wrote in message
    || Please, can somebody help me with this ?
    || Gigabyte GA-7VRXP + AMD XP2400 + 2 x 256 Mb DDR2700.
    || The above runs various versions of DOS, from either floppy or hard
    || drive (60 Gb Seagate), fine - no problem at all.
    || If I try to install Windows 2000 it all seems to be going well until
    || I get to the point where it should be 'Starting to run Windows for
    || the first time' - and it just hangs - forever :-)
    || I have tried building a fresh install on a Duron 1200 and then
    || swapping the hard drive over - same problem: hangs after the
    || 'starting Windows' progress stripe has completed.
    || I've tried swapping both memory and motherboard (both GA-7VRXP
    || Rev1.1) and still the same problem.
    || This is driving me crazy !
    || Does anyone have any ideas on what I should try next ?
    || Any help would be very gratefully appreciated.
    || TIA,
    || Kevin.

    Hi Kevin,

    Indeed, Matrox G400 and G450 are not demanding.
    330W PSU seems sufficient.
    If present in bios, Top Performance should be off.
    (you may have to press CTRL+F1 in bios main menu first).
    Have you tried running with one DIMM only (either one).
    If DIMM's are OEM, try branded ones.
    Create a MS WinDiag floppy (see MS KB) to have them checked
    or try www.simmtester.com
    Check out MS KB article 315396 (keeps you off the streets for a while)

    HTH,
    John7

    > Thanks, John.
    > BIOS virus protection is OFF.
    > Have tried various BIOS settings for stability and not 'pushing my luck'
    > with speed.
    > The only graphics cards I have available at the moment are all Matrox
    ones -
    > G400 and G450 - hardly the most demanding. I could buy a cheap one
    tomorrow
    > if it would help (suggestions ?).
    > 330w power supply. Only one HD is the system so far, no CDRW or DVD yet,
    > SCSI card and drives not installed yet.
    > Could go out and buy a 500w PSU tomorrow if that is the problem, but
    > wouldn't have thought it was necessary.
    > XP2400 + GA-7VRXP + 512 Mb DDR + G400 + 60 Gb HD + floppy. That's it so
    far.
    > Anything else I could try before I have to throw money at this problem ?
    > Thanks,
    > Kevin.
    >
    > John7 <nosp@mm.com> wrote:
    > | Hi Kevin,
    > |
    > | Turn virus / bootsector protection off in BIOS until install finished.
    > | It seems the lockup occurs when the videocard is about to go into
    > | graphics mode.
    > | First, try defensive settings in BIOS.
    > | Second, try swapping the card.
    > | When graphic mode turns on, the card draws more current.
    > | What is the wattage of your power supply?
    > | You'll need at least 300W, better 350W.
    > | Tell us more about your system.
    > |
    > | Installing windows on another mainboard, then swapping harddrive
    > | to other mainboard won't work.
    > |
    > | HTH,
    > | John7
    > |

    > | PS: to protect yourself from spam, don't post your email address here
    > | or insert something like REMOVE.
    > |

    > | "Kevin Lawton" <> wrote in message
    > || Please, can somebody help me with this ?
    > || Gigabyte GA-7VRXP + AMD XP2400 + 2 x 256 Mb DDR2700.
    > || The above runs various versions of DOS, from either floppy or hard
    > || drive (60 Gb Seagate), fine - no problem at all.
    > || If I try to install Windows 2000 it all seems to be going well until
    > || I get to the point where it should be 'Starting to run Windows for
    > || the first time' - and it just hangs - forever :-)
    > || I have tried building a fresh install on a Duron 1200 and then
    > || swapping the hard drive over - same problem: hangs after the
    > || 'starting Windows' progress stripe has completed.
    > || I've tried swapping both memory and motherboard (both GA-7VRXP
    > || Rev1.1) and still the same problem.
    > || This is driving me crazy !
    > || Does anyone have any ideas on what I should try next ?
    > || Any help would be very gratefully appreciated.
    > || TIA,
    > || Kevin.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Thanks again John.
    Top performance is off in the BIOS.
    I have started with defalt BIOS settings and disabled hardware I don't need
    to start with - sound, LAN, USB, RAID.
    I have tried various combinations of DIMMs - one, two or three - all branded
    Samsung, Crucial or Exact. Various memory test software has passed them as
    okay.
    Had a look at the MS knowledge base article, but mostly it discusses
    situations where Windows 2000 has booted up sucessfully on the machine once
    before.
    Also looked at the MS 'Windows 2000 Startup' newsgroup. Similar problems
    have cropped up occasionally before, but never been properly explained or
    resolved.
    I am gradually coming to the conclusion that Windows 2000 and the GA-7VRXP
    m/board don't get along - but have seen no reports to confirm or deny that
    as yet. If so, then it would suggest that there is something on the m/board
    which the default Windows 2000 drivers from the CD foul-up so badly wih that
    the op system hangs - seems unlikely, but what else is left ? Other VIA
    chipset m/boards I use are fine.
    This would leave me with only two options - either buy a different m/board
    which Windows 2000 will install and run on, or buy and install Windows XP in
    the hope that it will work properly. I'm not really happy with either of
    these options as I have two of these m/boards - I'm upgrading both of my
    machines - and I don't really want the bloat and expense of Windows XP
    compared to the relatively fast and lean Windows 2000 which has been very
    reliable for about four years.
    Thanks for your help so far - have you any idea what I can do next ?
    Cheers,
    Kevin.

    John7 <nosp@mm.com> wrote:
    | Hi Kevin,
    |
    | Indeed, Matrox G400 and G450 are not demanding.
    | 330W PSU seems sufficient.
    | If present in bios, Top Performance should be off.
    | (you may have to press CTRL+F1 in bios main menu first).
    | Have you tried running with one DIMM only (either one).
    | If DIMM's are OEM, try branded ones.
    | Create a MS WinDiag floppy (see MS KB) to have them checked
    | or try www.simmtester.com
    | Check out MS KB article 315396 (keeps you off the streets for a while)
    |
    | HTH,
    | John7
    |
    | "Kevin Lawton" <> wrote in message
    || Thanks, John.
    || BIOS virus protection is OFF.
    || Have tried various BIOS settings for stability and not 'pushing my
    || luck' with speed.
    || The only graphics cards I have available at the moment are all
    || Matrox ones - G400 and G450 - hardly the most demanding. I could buy
    || a cheap one tomorrow if it would help (suggestions ?).
    || 330w power supply. Only one HD is the system so far, no CDRW or DVD
    || yet, SCSI card and drives not installed yet.
    || Could go out and buy a 500w PSU tomorrow if that is the problem, but
    || wouldn't have thought it was necessary.
    || XP2400 + GA-7VRXP + 512 Mb DDR + G400 + 60 Gb HD + floppy. That's it
    || so far. Anything else I could try before I have to throw money at
    || this problem ? Thanks,
    || Kevin.
    || John7 <nosp@mm.com> wrote:
    ||| Hi Kevin,
    ||| Turn virus / bootsector protection off in BIOS until install
    ||| finished. It seems the lockup occurs when the videocard is about to
    ||| go into graphics mode.
    ||| First, try defensive settings in BIOS.
    ||| Second, try swapping the card.
    ||| When graphic mode turns on, the card draws more current.
    ||| What is the wattage of your power supply?
    ||| You'll need at least 300W, better 350W.
    ||| Tell us more about your system.
    ||| Installing windows on another mainboard, then swapping harddrive
    ||| to other mainboard won't work.
    ||| HTH,
    ||| John7
    ||| PS: to protect yourself from spam, don't post your email address
    ||| here or insert something like REMOVE.
    ||| "Kevin Lawton" <> wrote in message
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Kevin,

    I installed such a m/board at a customer with Win2K, runs flawless.
    Try Safe Mode (with log file) and check 'ntbtlog.txt' for clues.
    It is described in the MS article I mentioned before.

    John7

    "Kevin Lawton" <kepla@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > |
    > | HTH,
    > | John7
    > |
    > | "Kevin Lawton" <> wrote in message
    > || Thanks, John.
    > || BIOS virus protection is OFF.
    > || Have tried various BIOS settings for stability and not 'pushing my
    > || luck' with speed.
    > || The only graphics cards I have available at the moment are all
    > || Matrox ones - G400 and G450 - hardly the most demanding. I could buy
    > || a cheap one tomorrow if it would help (suggestions ?).
    > || 330w power supply. Only one HD is the system so far, no CDRW or DVD
    > || yet, SCSI card and drives not installed yet.
    > || Could go out and buy a 500w PSU tomorrow if that is the problem, but
    > || wouldn't have thought it was necessary.
    > || XP2400 + GA-7VRXP + 512 Mb DDR + G400 + 60 Gb HD + floppy. That's it
    > || so far. Anything else I could try before I have to throw money at

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    John,
    As soon as I encoutered this problem I tried safe mode - but I still get the
    same problem, it says it is starting then hangs before I get a desktop up.
    In fact I have tried starting in just about every mode available from the
    'F8' menu - logged, command prompt, anything, and in every case the system
    just hangs just at the point which I can best describe as 'really running
    the operating system' as opposed to running in some sort of booting/loading
    mode or version.
    The bootlog file doesn't appear to be being written, so I think the point of
    failure must be just before the bootlog is created. The MS articles just
    don't seem to hit the point of failure I'm experiencing. In fact, judging by
    the content of the MS knowledgebase articles and their newgroup, MS seem to
    deny that a failuer can occur at this point - or at least that it is not a
    problem in Windows as such.
    If MS are to be believed, then I'm getting a hardware failure. I've tried
    replacing just about every component in the system, in fact the only part I
    haven't replaced is the processor - due to the cost. I was wondering whether
    there was any way of making sure that this actually is a processor problem
    before spending out on a replacement.
    MS-DOS and DR-DOS both run fine, but they are only 16-bit real-mode. Windows
    2000 hangs at some point in the boot sequence just before it 'gets
    sophisticated' and brings up the desktop. I'm thinking that it is time to
    try loading in something else - either some processor test software or
    another op system.
    Any further ideas along these lines - or do you think I'm chasing a 'red
    herring' ?
    Thanks for your help,
    Kevn.

    John7 <> wrote:
    | Kevin,
    |
    | I installed such a m/board at a customer with Win2K, runs flawless.
    | Try Safe Mode (with log file) and check 'ntbtlog.txt' for clues.
    | It is described in the MS article I mentioned before.
    |
    | John7
    |
    | "Kevin Lawton" <> wrote in message
    || Thanks again John.
    || Top performance is off in the BIOS.
    || I have started with defalt BIOS settings and disabled hardware I
    || don't need to start with - sound, LAN, USB, RAID.
    || I have tried various combinations of DIMMs - one, two or three - all
    || branded Samsung, Crucial or Exact. Various memory test software has
    || passed them as okay.
    || Had a look at the MS knowledge base article, but mostly it discusses
    || situations where Windows 2000 has booted up sucessfully on the
    || machine once before.
    || Also looked at the MS 'Windows 2000 Startup' newsgroup. Similar
    || problems have cropped up occasionally before, but never been
    || properly explained or resolved.
    || I am gradually coming to the conclusion that Windows 2000 and the
    || GA-7VRXP m/board don't get along - but have seen no reports to
    || confirm or deny that as yet. If so, then it would suggest that there
    || is something on the m/board which the default Windows 2000 drivers
    || from the CD foul-up so badly wih that the op system hangs - seems
    || unlikely, but what else is left ? Other VIA chipset m/boards I use
    || are fine.
    || This would leave me with only two options - either buy a different
    || m/board which Windows 2000 will install and run on, or buy and
    || install Windows XP in the hope that it will work properly. I'm not
    || really happy with either of these options as I have two of these
    || m/boards - I'm upgrading both of my machines - and I don't really
    || want the bloat and expense of Windows XP compared to the relatively
    || fast and lean Windows 2000 which has been very reliable for about
    || four years.
    || Thanks for your help so far - have you any idea what I can do next ?
    || Cheers,
    || Kevin.
    || John7 <> wrote:
    ||| Hi Kevin,
    ||| Indeed, Matrox G400 and G450 are not demanding.
    ||| 330W PSU seems sufficient.
    ||| If present in bios, Top Performance should be off.
    ||| (you may have to press CTRL+F1 in bios main menu first).
    ||| Have you tried running with one DIMM only (either one).
    ||| If DIMM's are OEM, try branded ones.
    ||| Create a MS WinDiag floppy (see MS KB) to have them checked
    ||| or try www.simmtester.com
    ||| Check out MS KB article 315396 (keeps you off the streets for a
    ||| while)
    ||| HTH,
    ||| John7
    ||| "Kevin Lawton" <> wrote in message
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Kevin Lawton wrote:

    ><all snipped>

    Kevin

    I appreciate it's not much help to say this but my combination of
    GA-7VRXP (Rev 1.1, I think) & Athlon 1600 works fine with W2K (and
    W95). It can be done.

    If I've followed the thread correctly you've tried changing memory, but
    have you tried a different HDD?

    --

    Simon
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Kevin,

    Maybe Simon has a point ...
    Is this HD brand new or was there another OS before?
    Was any Disk Manager software installed before ?
    This software survives even fdisk and format !
    Try Win98 fdisk /mbr to restore a clean bootsector.
    Try harddisk checkers / diagnostics to check the disk surface.
    The first drive sectors are essential for stable OS installation.
    As a last resort, run the low level formatter from the drive mfg.

    Some other thoughts ...
    I've seen PSU's that appear fine but collapse as soon as more power
    is to delivered (e.g. when PC goes into graphics mode). Now the
    m/board is outside the case, can't you hook it up to a friend's PSU?

    Try running your CPU at a lower Front Side Bus Speed, best is 100MHz.
    If Windows boots, run 'cpuid.exe' by www.h-oda.com to check if the CPU
    is what it pretents to be. Background: there are falsified re-labeled CPU's
    around (like 2000XP --> 2400XP, so in essence running overclocked)

    I hope we find at least something here! :-)

    John7

    "Simon Elliott" <simon@deleteelliott.clara.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Kevin Lawton wrote:
    >
    > ><all snipped>
    > >
    > Kevin
    >
    > I appreciate it's not much help to say this but my combination of
    > GA-7VRXP (Rev 1.1, I think) & Athlon 1600 works fine with W2K (and
    > W95). It can be done.
    >
    > If I've followed the thread correctly you've tried changing memory, but
    > have you tried a different HDD?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Simon
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    The HD in question was clean to start with, as were some of the others I've
    tried - so far 40, 60 & 80 Gb Seagate HDs. Same result on all of them. All
    tried on another machine afterwards with no problems. I don't use any disk
    manager software - modern BIOSes can see the whole of the drive fine as is.
    If this was an MBR problem then it wouldn't boot as far as it does, I think.
    I've tried slowing down the FSB speed, and also the memory speed, but still
    no change.
    Tried replacing the Matrox G400 AGP card with a Matrox Mystique PCI card
    (and changed BIOS) but still no change - it boots as far as the 'Starting
    Windows' bar completes and then hangs. In 'Safe Mode with Command Prompt' I
    can see Mup.sys as the last file sucessfully loaded. I think this is the
    famous 'muppet' problem !
    Got myself a new PSU - a big beefy 550w job - and still no change.
    So far, every piece of hardware except for the processor has been swapped
    out.
    Before buying another AMD XP2400 CPU I'd really like to make sure something
    is wrong with the one I've got.
    Does anyone know of any CPU testing/diagnostic software which I could
    download and run from a floppy ?
    TIA
    Kevin.

    John7 <nosp@mm.com> wrote:
    | Kevin,
    |
    | Maybe Simon has a point ...
    | Is this HD brand new or was there another OS before?
    | Was any Disk Manager software installed before ?
    | This software survives even fdisk and format !
    | Try Win98 fdisk /mbr to restore a clean bootsector.
    | Try harddisk checkers / diagnostics to check the disk surface.
    | The first drive sectors are essential for stable OS installation.
    | As a last resort, run the low level formatter from the drive mfg.
    |
    | Some other thoughts ...
    | I've seen PSU's that appear fine but collapse as soon as more power
    | is to delivered (e.g. when PC goes into graphics mode). Now the
    | m/board is outside the case, can't you hook it up to a friend's PSU?
    |
    | Try running your CPU at a lower Front Side Bus Speed, best is 100MHz.
    | If Windows boots, run 'cpuid.exe' by www.h-oda.com to check if the CPU
    | is what it pretents to be. Background: there are falsified re-labeled
    | CPU's around (like 2000XP --> 2400XP, so in essence running
    | overclocked)
    |
    | I hope we find at least something here! :-)
    |
    | John7
    |
    | "Simon Elliott" <simon@deleteelliott.clara.co.uk> wrote in message
    || Kevin Lawton wrote:
    ||| <all snipped>
    || Kevin
    || I appreciate it's not much help to say this but my combination of
    || GA-7VRXP (Rev 1.1, I think) & Athlon 1600 works fine with W2K (and
    || W95). It can be done.
    || If I've followed the thread correctly you've tried changing memory,
    || but have you tried a different HDD?
    || --
    || Simon
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Hi Kevin,

    Never heard about the 'Muppet problem', but one is never to old to learn.

    I found this solution for you:
    ----------------------------------
    Start the Recovery console or..
    Start the computer with the boot disks or Windows CDROM
    After the Welcome to Setup dialog box appears, press R to repair, and then
    press C to start Recovery console.
    Choose install Windows and log on as Administrator.

    At the command prompt type "disable Mup.sys"

    "MUP stands for "Multiple UNC Provider" which assists Windows in locating
    resources when more than one redirector is on a machine such as "Microsoft
    Client for Microsoft Networks" and the "Novell Client for Novell Netware".
    When a connection to a server is requested it does not know if the request
    is to a Novell server or an NT server. It will start looking for the server
    with the primary protocol on the primary requestor and then continue looking
    for the server on each protocol bound to each redirector until the server is
    found."

    Restart the computer and all should be well.
    ---------------------------

    I am curious about your results !

> [...]
    > | is to delivered (e.g. when PC goes into graphics mode). Now the
    > | m/board is outside the case, can't you hook it up to a friend's PSU?
    > |
    > | Try running your CPU at a lower Front Side Bus Speed, best is 100MHz.
    > | If Windows boots, run 'cpuid.exe' by www.h-oda.com to check if the CPU
    > | is what it pretents to be. Background: there are falsified re-labeled
    > | CPU's around (like 2000XP --> 2400XP, so in essence running
    > | overclocked)
    > |
    > | I hope we find at least something here! :-)
    > |
    > | John7
    > |
    > | "Simon Elliott" <simon@deleteelliott.clara.co.uk> wrote in message
    > || Kevin
    > || I appreciate it's not much help to say this but my combination of
    > || GA-7VRXP (Rev 1.1, I think) & Athlon 1600 works fine with W2K (and
    > || W95). It can be done.
    > || If I've followed the thread correctly you've tried changing memory,

  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    I'm still baffled by my results.
    Tried disabling Mup.sys but the problem stayed there, it just finished
    After all the hardware swapping I decided it was time to try different
    software:
    I FDISKed the HD and installed Red Hat 9. Went in like a dream - 20 mins
    from FDISK to playing 'Tux Racer'. The hardware seems slick and flast and
    has been running now for about 6 hours with no problems.
    I guess this proves that the hardware is okay, but I'd still like to run
    some good diagnostic tests to prove that point. Anyone know of any
    diagnostics to run under Linux ?
    So, there is still a problem with installing or running Windows 2000, and
    I'm not too sure what to do next to solve it. I've now tried swapping
    everything in the system except for the CPU, but as Linux runs fine I'm
    guessing that it is okay.
    I will investigate the option of trying Win4Lin so my applications can be
    used, but there might be a problem. One of the most important applications
    is the Driver and Video software which comes with the Matrox G-series
    Rainbow Runner video capture card. I don't want to run programs under any
    sort of emulation which might comprimise performance, as the whole reason I
    built this machine was to have something fast enough for video editing. My
    Duron 1200 and Athlon 1.4 are plenty fast enough for everything else I do.
    The original problem is still present - Windows hangs when the 'Starting
    Windows' progress bar completes, when Mup.sys has been loaded. Now that I
    think we've eliminated a hardware problem, I am beginning to wonder if there
    isn't a problem with Windows itself. Windows 2000 is over four years old,
    the hardware is relatively recent. Could it be that they are just not
    compatible ?
    TIA
    Kevin.

    John7 <nosp@mm.com> wrote:
> [...]
    ||| This software survives even fdisk and format !
    ||| Try Win98 fdisk /mbr to restore a clean bootsector.
    ||| Try harddisk checkers / diagnostics to check the disk surface.
    ||| The first drive sectors are essential for stable OS installation.
    ||| As a last resort, run the low level formatter from the drive mfg.
    ||| Some other thoughts ...
    ||| I've seen PSU's that appear fine but collapse as soon as more power
    ||| is to delivered (e.g. when PC goes into graphics mode). Now the
    ||| m/board is outside the case, can't you hook it up to a friend's PSU?
    ||| Try running your CPU at a lower Front Side Bus Speed, best is
    ||| 100MHz. If Windows boots, run 'cpuid.exe' by www.h-oda.com to check
    ||| if the CPU is what it pretents to be. Background: there are
    ||| falsified re-labeled CPU's around (like 2000XP --> 2400XP, so in
    ||| essence running overclocked)
    ||| I hope we find at least something here! :-)
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Kevin,

    Try to get a recent Win2K with slipstreamed Service Pack 4.
    It may take more recent hardware into account.

    B.t.w. there's quit some info about the mup.sys problem on the web.

    Keep us posted.

> [...]
    > || see the whole of the drive fine as is. If this was an MBR problem
    > || then it wouldn't boot as far as it does, I think. I've tried slowing
    > || down the FSB speed, and also the memory speed, but still no change.
    > || Tried replacing the Matrox G400 AGP card with a Matrox Mystique PCI
    > || card (and changed BIOS) but still no change - it boots as far as the
    > || 'Starting Windows' bar completes and then hangs. In 'Safe Mode with
    > || Command Prompt' I can see Mup.sys as the last file sucessfully
    > || loaded. I think this is the famous 'muppet' problem !
    > || Got myself a new PSU - a big beefy 550w job - and still no change.
    > || So far, every piece of hardware except for the processor has been
    > || swapped out.
    > || Before buying another AMD XP2400 CPU I'd really like to make sure
    > || something is wrong with the one I've got.
    > || Does anyone know of any CPU testing/diagnostic software which I could

  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    John,
    I'm not too sure what is meant by the term 'slipstreamed' in this case.
    Does it mean Windows 2000 with the Service pack already in place ?
    If so, then I believe that I could build it myself by copying files from the
    downloaded service pack's i386 directory into the i386 directory on the
    Windows 2000 install CD. Working on disk images of the CD, of course, and
    then burning a new one. What do you reckon - worth a shot ?
    I searched the web for the Mup.sys problem and found quite a few reports of
    problems similar to mine. In some cases, using the recovery console to
    disable mup.sys has worked but not in others. In some cases removing or
    changing some hardware has worked, but then again not in others. In my case,
    I've swapped hardware to no avail. Also, I don't seem to be able to get into
    the recovery console - I just don't seem to have a 'R' = repair option at
    the 'Welcome to Install' screen ! Very frustrating. :-(
    For an alternative, I tried installing Windows Me - no problem at all. I
    then tried installing Windows 2000 over the Me installation ('upgrade') and
    the problem was still the same.
    So to recap we have: DOS - okay, Linux - okay, Windows Me - okay, Windows
    2000 - no go.
    I'll just have to keep trying.
    Thanks,
    Kevin.

    John7 <nosp@mm.com> wrote:
> [...]
    ||| Start the computer with the boot disks or Windows CDROM
    ||| After the Welcome to Setup dialog box appears, press R to repair,
    ||| and then press C to start Recovery console.
    ||| Choose install Windows and log on as Administrator.
    ||| At the command prompt type "disable Mup.sys"
    ||| "MUP stands for "Multiple UNC Provider" which assists Windows in
    ||| locating resources when more than one redirector is on a machine
    ||| such as "Microsoft Client for Microsoft Networks" and the "Novell
    ||| Client
    ||| for Novell Netware". When a connection to a server is requested it
    ||| does not know if the request is to a Novell server or an NT server.
    ||| It will start looking for the server with the primary protocol on
    ||| the primary requestor and then continue looking for the server on
    ||| each protocol bound to each redirector until the server is found."
    ||| Restart the computer and all should be well.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    > Does it mean Windows 2000 with the Service pack already in place ?

    Yes it does - if you are an MSDN member, you can download Windows 2000 with
    SP4 pre-installed.

    Rob.

Gigabyte Hard Drives Motherboards