When I am burning DVDs at 12X or editing DV movies, I get an "excessive"
amount of paging; sometime between 250-350 Pages/sec, especially when burning
a DVD. Not sure if it is a lack of memory issue, memory leak or other
hardware issue.

Typically when running perfmon I see an average disk queue length under .5,
PC %time between 40-60. I have experimented with Pagefile size and location
using 1.5XRAM on both C and D and I only have around 0.2% fragmentation on C
and D.

Sytem configuration:
CPU: P4 2.26
FSB: 533Mhz
RAM: 512MB RDRAM (Rambus); 2X256 with 2 slots available
HDs: Primary-Master Maxtor 200GB ATA133 (C 20GB Sysvol and D 175GB storage)
Primary Slave Maxtor 80GB ATA100 (E and F partitions not currently in use)
DVDs: Secondary-Master Pioneer-108 16X and Secondary-Slave LiteOn 16X DVD ROM

What else should I look at before I drop $200 for an additional 512MB of
Memory?

Thanks in advance!!!

peter

Hi,

How large is your page files (virtual memory)?
By default, XP would set it to 1.5 times of the physical memory and can be
extended to 3 times of the physical memory when needed.
I would suggest you to set 768MB on C drive as it is as present,
Create 1024MB page file on D Drive, and 1024MB on the E drive.

BTW, my friend use 2GB ram as he always need to editing movies.

Peter

"MovieMaker" wrote:

> When I am burning DVDs at 12X or editing DV movies, I get an "excessive"
> amount of paging; sometime between 250-350 Pages/sec, especially when burning
> a DVD. Not sure if it is a lack of memory issue, memory leak or other
> hardware issue.
>
> Typically when running perfmon I see an average disk queue length under .5,
> PC %time between 40-60. I have experimented with Pagefile size and location
> using 1.5XRAM on both C and D and I only have around 0.2% fragmentation on C
> and D.
>
> Sytem configuration:
> CPU: P4 2.26
> FSB: 533Mhz
> RAM: 512MB RDRAM (Rambus); 2X256 with 2 slots available
> HDs: Primary-Master Maxtor 200GB ATA133 (C 20GB Sysvol and D 175GB storage)
> Primary Slave Maxtor 80GB ATA100 (E and F partitions not currently in use)
> DVDs: Secondary-Master Pioneer-108 16X and Secondary-Slave LiteOn 16X DVD ROM
>
> What else should I look at before I drop $200 for an additional 512MB of
> Memory?
>
> Thanks in advance!!!

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply. My page files were set to 768 (Minimum) - 1536
(Maximum) on both C and D. I haven't tried a page file on my other HD since
it is essentially unused with no programs loaded on it. I am getting ready
to format it and dual boot XP pro (C drive) with Suse 9.1 (E drive).

Mike

"MovieMaker" <MovieMaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi Peter,
>
>Thanks for the reply. My page files were set to 768 (Minimum) - 1536
>(Maximum) on both C and D. I haven't tried a page file on my other HD since
>it is essentially unused with no programs loaded on it. I am getting ready
>to format it and dual boot XP pro (C drive) with Suse 9.1 (E drive).

The second physical drive is where you want your page file, especially
if there is any actual page file activity.

There is no benefit from having multiple page files in different
partitions on the same physical drive.

With your configuration I would suggest a small page file, say 10 mb
minimum 50 mb maximum , on drive C:, and a larger one with perhaps a
200 mb minimum and a 1.5 gb maximum on drive E: or F:

The only way to stop actual page file activity, that is the writing
out of active memory content from RAM to the page file so as to free
up that RAM for other, currently more important activities, is to
install more RAM.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--