windows sees only two memory slots

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi folks,

My windows box has a asus PP-DLW mainboard with four DDR DIMM memory
slots, and I have four memory bars a 1GB there, but windows sees only 2GB.
I had one old 1GB bar and I bought three new of exactly the same type,
they just look a little bit differently. How much windows sees depends
on how I put them into the slots, if I put the old into the first slot
and the new into the last three, win sees 3GB, if I put the two new into
the first two slots and leave the last two empty, win sees only 1GB, now
I have th new in the first three slots and the onl in the last and
windows sees 2GB, if I remove the old one and leave the three new in the
first three slots, windows sees.. I don't remember how many.. :)

please help
tom

See table 1 on page 2-9 for which slots to use.

"tom" <tom@dbservice.com> wrote in message
| Hi folks,
|
| My windows box has a asus PP-DLW mainboard with four DDR
DIMM memory
| slots, and I have four memory bars a 1GB there, but
windows sees only 2GB.
| I had one old 1GB bar and I bought three new of exactly
the same type,
| they just look a little bit differently. How much windows
sees depends
| on how I put them into the slots, if I put the old into
the first slot
| and the new into the last three, win sees 3GB, if I put
the two new into
| the first two slots and leave the last two empty, win sees
only 1GB, now
| I have th new in the first three slots and the onl in the
last and
| windows sees 2GB, if I remove the old one and leave the
three new in the
| first three slots, windows sees.. I don't remember how
many.. :)

| please help
| tom

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

tom wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> My windows box has a asus PP-DLW mainboard with four DDR DIMM memory
> slots, and I have four memory bars a 1GB there, but windows sees only 2GB.
> I had one old 1GB bar and I bought three new of exactly the same type,
> they just look a little bit differently. How much windows sees depends
> on how I put them into the slots, if I put the old into the first slot
> and the new into the last three, win sees 3GB, if I put the two new into
> the first two slots and leave the last two empty, win sees only 1GB, now
> I have th new in the first three slots and the onl in the last and
> windows sees 2GB, if I remove the old one and leave the three new in the
> first three slots, windows sees.. I don't remember how many.. :)

I quickly booted into gentoo with highmem support, and linux also sees
only two gigabytes. Either the mainboard is broken or I need to have the
very same memory bars in there. The strange is that sometimes windows
sees one, two or three gigabytes, but never four and it depends on the
positions of the new/old memory bars. But the BIOS always sees the right
amount of memory, does windoes access the memory in another way than the
BIOS?

tom

The memory "looks" are important because your memory type
must be exactly the same to use the interleaved slots. Only
two of the slots are working because one of the RAM sticks
is not matched... buy another 1 GB that matches the three
you have, then all 4 GB should work.

| tom wrote:
| > Hi folks,
| >
| > My windows box has a asus PP-DLW mainboard with four DDR
DIMM memory
| > slots, and I have four memory bars a 1GB there, but
windows sees only 2GB.
| > I had one old 1GB bar and I bought three new of exactly
the same type,
| > they just look a little bit differently. How much
windows sees depends
| > on how I put them into the slots, if I put the old into
the first slot
| > and the new into the last three, win sees 3GB, if I put
the two new into
| > the first two slots and leave the last two empty, win
sees only 1GB, now
| > I have th new in the first three slots and the onl in
the last and
| > windows sees 2GB, if I remove the old one and leave the
three new in the
| > first three slots, windows sees.. I don't remember how
many.. :)

| I quickly booted into gentoo with highmem support, and
linux also sees
| only two gigabytes. Either the mainboard is broken or I
need to have the
| very same memory bars in there. The strange is that
sometimes windows
| sees one, two or three gigabytes, but never four and it
depends on the
| positions of the new/old memory bars. But the BIOS always
sees the right
| amount of memory, does windoes access the memory in
another way than the
| BIOS?
|
| tom

Check out each one, one at a time. I.E. put in one module (check your
motherboard manual for the correct slot and also if there are any
motherboard jumpers to set) reboot checking BIOS and Windows for correct
recognition. Shutdown, swap that known good or bad module for another
module and redo test, etc, etc...

Chances are you will have to buy the fourth module to match the three new
ones and mothball the original. WinXP is very picky about memory (comments
from other posters). FWIW try searching this newsgroup for past posts on
memory you may find your answer there.

Also check www.crucial.com to make sure you purchased the correct modules
for your machine.

You can also run these two tests to check the modules singly or together:
http://www.memtest86.com/
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

r.

"tom" <tom@dbservice.com> wrote in message
> tom wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> My windows box has a asus PP-DLW mainboard with four DDR DIMM memory
>> slots, and I have four memory bars a 1GB there, but windows sees only
>> 2GB.
>> I had one old 1GB bar and I bought three new of exactly the same type,
>> they just look a little bit differently. How much windows sees depends on
>> how I put them into the slots, if I put the old into the first slot and
>> the new into the last three, win sees 3GB, if I put the two new into the
>> first two slots and leave the last two empty, win sees only 1GB, now I
>> have th new in the first three slots and the onl in the last and windows
>> sees 2GB, if I remove the old one and leave the three new in the first
>> three slots, windows sees.. I don't remember how many.. :)
>>

> I quickly booted into gentoo with highmem support, and linux also sees
> only two gigabytes. Either the mainboard is broken or I need to have the
> very same memory bars in there. The strange is that sometimes windows sees
> one, two or three gigabytes, but never four and it depends on the
> positions of the new/old memory bars. But the BIOS always sees the right
> amount of memory, does windoes access the memory in another way than the
> BIOS?
>
> tom

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Jim Macklin wrote:
> The memory "looks" are important because your memory type
> must be exactly the same to use the interleaved slots.

Even though they have the very same model number?
btw. what are interleaved slots?

So the mainboard can't have two sticks in dual channel and the third and
fourth in normal mode?

tom

Interleaved memory (Google for more details) reads/writes
slot 1&3 and slots 2&4 so it is faster, but the one
mismatched stick "kills" the pair. See you mobo manual for
details about supported memory or look at the FAQ page on
the mobo site.

| Jim Macklin wrote:
| > The memory "looks" are important because your memory
type
| > must be exactly the same to use the interleaved slots.
|
| Even though they have the very same model number?
| btw. what are interleaved slots?
|
| So the mainboard can't have two sticks in dual channel and
the third and
| fourth in normal mode?
|
| tom

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

namniar wrote:
> Check out each one, one at a time. I.E. put in one module (check your
> motherboard manual for the correct slot and also if there are any
> motherboard jumpers to set) reboot checking BIOS and Windows for correct
> recognition. Shutdown, swap that known good or bad module for another
> module and redo test, etc, etc...
>
> Chances are you will have to buy the fourth module to match the three new
> ones and mothball the original. WinXP is very picky about memory (comments
> from other posters). FWIW try searching this newsgroup for past posts on
> memory you may find your answer there.
>
> Also check www.crucial.com to make sure you purchased the correct modules
> for your machine.

I have Kingston DDR DIMM modules, PC2100/266, CL2, Registered, they
should be ok, I'll try to check one module after another tomorrow.
Doesn't it look like one module is broken?

But I don't get one thing, why does PC Wizard 2004 see all four modules
and can read their EEPROM information?

tom

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Check this out. See if you meet all the criteria.
http://www.asus.com/products/server/srv-mb/pp-dlw/overview.htm

"tom" <tom@dbservice.com> wrote in message
| Hi folks,
|
| My windows box has a asus PP-DLW mainboard with four DDR DIMM memory
| slots, and I have four memory bars a 1GB there, but windows sees only
2GB.
| I had one old 1GB bar and I bought three new of exactly the same type,
| they just look a little bit differently. How much windows sees depends
| on how I put them into the slots, if I put the old into the first slot
| and the new into the last three, win sees 3GB, if I put the two new into
| the first two slots and leave the last two empty, win sees only 1GB, now
| I have th new in the first three slots and the onl in the last and
| windows sees 2GB, if I remove the old one and leave the three new in the
| first three slots, windows sees.. I don't remember how many.. :)
|
| please help
| tom

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Jim Macklin wrote:
> Interleaved memory (Google for more details) reads/writes
> slot 1&3 and slots 2&4 so it is faster, but the one
> mismatched stick "kills" the pair. See you mobo manual for
> details about supported memory or look at the FAQ page on
> the mobo site.

I've tried some combinations with the old/new modules and putting them
into slots 1&2 (dual channel) and 1&3 (normal mode) and windows
recognized the memory, even if I mix the old/new memory bar in slots 1&2.
Now I'll try to put all four into the box and see what happens.
When I had all four in and ran memtest86, I got lots of errors in the
range from 2048-4096MB, that would be the last two memory bars, in that
case one old and one new, I'll try tio run the test now with only the
old and new in the first two slots. Let's see what happens.
Oh.. maybe I shoudl say this: while I was building the system some year
ago, I found one little component (resistor) on the table, I think it's
from the mainboard, but everything ran fine so I didn't bother. I've
never found the place where it felt off, maybe it's somewhere behind the
memory slots and a vital component to run with memory in all four slots?

tom

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I've tried memtest86. If I choose that memtest86 should read the memory
amount from the bios, that it sees all the memory, when I tell memtest86
to probe for memory, it sees only a part of it. There has to be a
problem with the probing. The memory is otherwise ok, no errors, just
in the one case from 2048-4096MB.

tom

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Jim Macklin wrote:
> See table 1 on page 2-9 for which slots to use.

I'm giving up.. it just doesn't work, the mainboard has to be broken.
btw, I've see that a capacitor bursted.

tom

Ooh, that's a bummer. Looks like a nice board though.

r.

> Jim Macklin wrote:
>> See table 1 on page 2-9 for which slots to use.
>>

> I'm giving up.. it just doesn't work, the mainboard has to be broken.
> btw, I've see that a capacitor bursted.
>
> tom

That would do it. Hope it wasn't because you installed the
wrong memory in the wrong slots.