8KNXP Memory Suggestions Please

Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.

Thanks
11 answers Last reply
More about 8knxp memory suggestions please

    Mikey Spike <Me@Myhouse.co.uk> wrote in message news:<d79970lndb3bpdnvihhnk823qbvlbfdqgq@4ax.com>...
    > Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
    > this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
    > STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
    > snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
    > pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
    > also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.
    >

    > Thanks

    I have Kingston PC3200 DDR RAM (2x256MB) running without any problem.
    They are very stable with +0.1V DIMM Overvoltage set in BIOS.

    Orhan

    "Mikey Spike" <Me@Myhouse.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
    > this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
    > STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
    > snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
    > pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
    > also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.

    I bought some "cheap" kingmax from newegg this time around...USUALLY I only
    run Mushkin. I am VERY impressed with the kingmax so far. It's PC3500 2.5
    and I'm clocking it pretty hard right now and it's been NO
    trouble........paid about 200 bucks for a gig.

    dv

    "Mikey Spike" <Me@Myhouse.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
    > this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
    > STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
    > snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
    > pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
    > also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.
    >

    > Thanks

    I've used AData, and also PQI branded generic RAM in my 8KNXP with no
    problems at all.

    Steve
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Go with crucial they stand behind their memory and guarantee it works!

    Wayne

    "Stephen Williams" <stevexc@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Mikey Spike" <Me@Myhouse.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
    > > this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
    > > STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
    > > snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
    > > pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
    > > also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.
    > >

    > > Thanks
    >
    > I've used AData, and also PQI branded generic RAM in my 8KNXP with no
    > problems at all.
    >
    > Steve

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 03:21:33 GMT, "wayne" <dont-bother@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >Go with crucial they stand behind their memory and guarantee it works!
    >
    >Wayne

    Save heaps and get Kingmax..

    >"Stephen Williams" <stevexc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mikey Spike" <Me@Myhouse.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> > Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
    >> > this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
    >> > STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
    >> > snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
    >> > pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
    >> > also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.
    >> >

    >> > Thanks
    >>
    >> I've used AData, and also PQI branded generic RAM in my 8KNXP with no
    >> problems at all.
    >>
    >> Steve

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 09:16:09 -0400, "MTech" <daycareguru2@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >"Mikey Spike" <Me@Myhouse.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
    >> this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
    >> STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
    >> snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
    >> pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
    >> also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.
    >

    >I bought some "cheap" kingmax from newegg this time around...USUALLY I only
    >run Mushkin. I am VERY impressed with the kingmax so far. It's PC3500 2.5
    >and I'm clocking it pretty hard right now and it's been NO
    >trouble........paid about 200 bucks for a gig.
    >
    >dv

    Same here ..
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    Can I run memory with wider bandwidth on the 8KNXP such as PC4000? I
    realize it won't do me any good on this system, but I'm considering
    buying upgraded RAM so I can put it in a future system w/o
    repurchasing.

    Dave

    Mikey Spike <Me@Myhouse.co.uk> wrote:

    >Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
    >this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
    >STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
    >snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
    >pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
    >also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.
    >

    >Thanks
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    I've got the dual Kingston HyperX pc3200 (2x 512mb) and its runs
    beautifully.

    "Mikey Spike" <Me@Myhouse.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
    > this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
    > STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
    > snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
    > pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
    > also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.
    >

    > Thanks
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    > Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
    > this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
    > STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
    > snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
    > pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
    > also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.

    I have an 8KNXP Rev 1.0. (I'm on my second -- first one got RMA'd
    when it decided to die after 8 months of use.) I run OCZ PC3200 EL
    Dual Channel RAM; c.f.,

    http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/OCZ_EL_DDR_PC-3200_Dual_Channel

    I have always run it with 2-6-3-2 timings, and both of my 8KNXP mobos
    appeared to be quite stable with these timings. (I use a +0.1 DIMM
    overvoltage setting, but have not overclocked the cpu/fsb.)

    -kris
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    How do you set the timings on teh 8KNXP Rev 2 motherboard? I tried
    the control-F1 sequence, but it does not get me into any advanced
    features in the bios settings.

    Also, how do you get your PC3200 memory to run at 400 mhz? Mine shows
    a 266 option and a 333 option in the bios settings.

    Thanks,
    Dave

    spam@vorwerk.ca (Kris Vorwerk) wrote:

    >> Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
    >> this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
    >> STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
    >> snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
    >> pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
    >> also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.
    >

    >I have an 8KNXP Rev 1.0. (I'm on my second -- first one got RMA'd
    >when it decided to die after 8 months of use.) I run OCZ PC3200 EL
    >Dual Channel RAM; c.f.,
    >
    >http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/OCZ_EL_DDR_PC-3200_Dual_Channel
    >
    >I have always run it with 2-6-3-2 timings, and both of my 8KNXP mobos
    >appeared to be quite stable with these timings. (I use a +0.1 DIMM
    >overvoltage setting, but have not overclocked the cpu/fsb.)
    >

    >-kris
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte (More info?)

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 23:50:09 GMT, Dave.US <davesaunders@REMOVEqx.net> wrote:

    >How do you set the timings on teh 8KNXP Rev 2 motherboard? I tried
    >the control-F1 sequence, but it does not get me into any advanced
    >features in the bios settings.

    It brings up a extra option menu and lets you set the memory tings and other
    things.

    >Also, how do you get your PC3200 memory to run at 400 mhz? Mine shows
    >a 266 option and a 333 option in the bios settings.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Dave
    >

    >spam@vorwerk.ca (Kris Vorwerk) wrote:
    >
    >>> Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
    >>> this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
    >>> STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
    >>> snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
    >>> pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
    >>> also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.
    >>

    >>I have an 8KNXP Rev 1.0. (I'm on my second -- first one got RMA'd
    >>when it decided to die after 8 months of use.) I run OCZ PC3200 EL
    >>Dual Channel RAM; c.f.,
    >>
    >>http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/OCZ_EL_DDR_PC-3200_Dual_Channel
    >>
    >>I have always run it with 2-6-3-2 timings, and both of my 8KNXP mobos
    >>appeared to be quite stable with these timings. (I use a +0.1 DIMM
    >>overvoltage setting, but have not overclocked the cpu/fsb.)
    >>

    >>-kris

Gigabyte RAM Memory Motherboards