8KNXP Memory Suggestions Please

Last response: in Motherboards
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 8, 2004 1:08:18 AM

Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.

Thanks
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 8, 2004 3:40:35 AM

Mikey Spike <Me@Myhouse.co.uk> wrote in message news:<d79970lndb3bpdnvihhnk823qbvlbfdqgq@4ax.com>...
> Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
> this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
> STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
> snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
> pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
> also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.
>

> Thanks

I have Kingston PC3200 DDR RAM (2x256MB) running without any problem.
They are very stable with +0.1V DIMM Overvoltage set in BIOS.

Orhan
April 8, 2004 1:16:09 PM

"Mikey Spike" <Me@Myhouse.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D 79970lndb3bpdnvihhnk823qbvlbfdqgq@4ax.com...
> Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
> this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
> STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
> snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
> pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
> also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.

I bought some "cheap" kingmax from newegg this time around...USUALLY I only
run Mushkin. I am VERY impressed with the kingmax so far. It's PC3500 2.5
and I'm clocking it pretty hard right now and it's been NO
trouble........paid about 200 bucks for a gig.

dv
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 8, 2004 6:36:17 PM

"Mikey Spike" <Me@Myhouse.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D 79970lndb3bpdnvihhnk823qbvlbfdqgq@4ax.com...
> Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
> this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
> STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
> snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
> pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
> also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.
>

> Thanks

I've used AData, and also PQI branded generic RAM in my 8KNXP with no
problems at all.

Steve
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 8, 2004 6:36:18 PM

Go with crucial they stand behind their memory and guarantee it works!

Wayne

"Stephen Williams" <stevexc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D U2dc.7539$u%1.787055@news02.tsnz.net...

> "Mikey Spike" <Me@Myhouse.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:D 79970lndb3bpdnvihhnk823qbvlbfdqgq@4ax.com...
> > Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
> > this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
> > STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
> > snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
> > pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
> > also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.
> >

> > Thanks
>
> I've used AData, and also PQI branded generic RAM in my 8KNXP with no
> problems at all.
>
> Steve

Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 8, 2004 8:09:10 PM

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 03:21:33 GMT, "wayne" <dont-bother@nowhere.com> wrote:

>Go with crucial they stand behind their memory and guarantee it works!
>
>Wayne

Save heaps and get Kingmax..

>"Stephen Williams" <stevexc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:D U2dc.7539$u%1.787055@news02.tsnz.net...
>>
>> "Mikey Spike" <Me@Myhouse.co.uk> wrote in message
>> news:D 79970lndb3bpdnvihhnk823qbvlbfdqgq@4ax.com...
>> > Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
>> > this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
>> > STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
>> > snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
>> > pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
>> > also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.
>> >

>> > Thanks
>>
>> I've used AData, and also PQI branded generic RAM in my 8KNXP with no
>> problems at all.
>>
>> Steve

Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 9, 2004 4:02:00 PM

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 09:16:09 -0400, "MTech" <daycareguru2@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Mikey Spike" <Me@Myhouse.co.uk> wrote in message
>news:D 79970lndb3bpdnvihhnk823qbvlbfdqgq@4ax.com...
>> Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
>> this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
>> STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
>> snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
>> pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
>> also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.
>

>I bought some "cheap" kingmax from newegg this time around...USUALLY I only
>run Mushkin. I am VERY impressed with the kingmax so far. It's PC3500 2.5
>and I'm clocking it pretty hard right now and it's been NO
>trouble........paid about 200 bucks for a gig.
>
>dv

Same here ..
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 10, 2004 8:18:26 AM

Can I run memory with wider bandwidth on the 8KNXP such as PC4000? I
realize it won't do me any good on this system, but I'm considering
buying upgraded RAM so I can put it in a future system w/o
repurchasing.

Dave

Mikey Spike <Me@Myhouse.co.uk> wrote:

>Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
>this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
>STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
>snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
>pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
>also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.
>

>Thanks
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 11, 2004 9:27:41 AM

I've got the dual Kingston HyperX pc3200 (2x 512mb) and its runs
beautifully.

"Mikey Spike" <Me@Myhouse.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D 79970lndb3bpdnvihhnk823qbvlbfdqgq@4ax.com...
> Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
> this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
> STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
> snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
> pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
> also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.
>

> Thanks
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 11, 2004 10:22:00 PM

> Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
> this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
> STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
> snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
> pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
> also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.

I have an 8KNXP Rev 1.0. (I'm on my second -- first one got RMA'd
when it decided to die after 8 months of use.) I run OCZ PC3200 EL
Dual Channel RAM; c.f.,

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/OCZ_EL_DDR...

I have always run it with 2-6-3-2 timings, and both of my 8KNXP mobos
appeared to be quite stable with these timings. (I use a +0.1 DIMM
overvoltage setting, but have not overclocked the cpu/fsb.)

-kris
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 15, 2004 3:50:09 AM

How do you set the timings on teh 8KNXP Rev 2 motherboard? I tried
the control-F1 sequence, but it does not get me into any advanced
features in the bios settings.

Also, how do you get your PC3200 memory to run at 400 mhz? Mine shows
a 266 option and a 333 option in the bios settings.

Thanks,
Dave

spam@vorwerk.ca (Kris Vorwerk) wrote:

>> Just got a 8KNXP Rev 2.0 MB, and wanted some opinions on memory for
>> this board. I will not be OC'ing, just want FAST but MORE importantly
>> STABLE RAM. From the posts I have been reading this MB seems somewhat
>> snooty about the brand and speed of memory. Will be getting a matched
>> pair for 1GB total RAM. Any suggestions pros and cons appreciated,
>> also tips on board setting for stability for the RAM.
>

>I have an 8KNXP Rev 1.0. (I'm on my second -- first one got RMA'd
>when it decided to die after 8 months of use.) I run OCZ PC3200 EL
>Dual Channel RAM; c.f.,
>
>http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/OCZ_EL_DDR...
>
>I have always run it with 2-6-3-2 timings, and both of my 8KNXP mobos
>appeared to be quite stable with these timings. (I use a +0.1 DIMM
>overvoltage setting, but have not overclocked the cpu/fsb.)
>

>-kris
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
April 15, 2004 7:03:41 PM

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 23:50:09 GMT, Dave.US <davesaunders@REMOVEqx.net> wrote:

>How do you set the timings on teh 8KNXP Rev 2 motherboard? I tried
>the control-F1 sequence, but it does not get me into any advanced
>features in the bios settings.

It brings up a extra option menu and lets you set the memory tings and other
things.

!