Connection problems

David

I have a wireless network at home (g version) with a belkin wireless
router - all works fine

I've just purchased a trend wireless (b) adaptor for my win98se notebook and
am having troubles.

First off, my network has mac address filtering enabled. I have found out
the mac address of the new card, and added it to the list of allowed NIC's
on the router.

The software of the new card searches for a network, finds the network, but
won't connect to it. I type in the security keyword, and then the software
starts scanning again.

When the adaptor finds the network the channel details etc are all correct.

The only bit of information I can think of that may help is that the router
security settings are WPA-PSK TKIP encryption. The notepad settings don't
give me the option of WPA-PSK or TKIP - I just get 40/64 bit or 128 bit as
the choice.

If I uncheck the enable security box, I get a message that I need to enable
them to join the network, so I guess it can find the network, but can't
connect to it for some security reasons?

Should I be able to connect a B adaptor with a G router - belkin seem to
think so at any rate.

Anyone got any ideas please?

Thanks

Malke

David wrote:

> I have a wireless network at home (g version) with a belkin wireless
> router - all works fine
>
> I've just purchased a trend wireless (b) adaptor for my win98se
> notebook and am having troubles.
>
> First off, my network has mac address filtering enabled. I have found
> out the mac address of the new card, and added it to the list of
> allowed NIC's on the router.
>
> The software of the new card searches for a network, finds the
> network, but won't connect to it. I type in the security keyword, and
> then the software starts scanning again.
>
> When the adaptor finds the network the channel details etc are all
> correct.
>
> The only bit of information I can think of that may help is that the
> router security settings are WPA-PSK TKIP encryption. The notepad
> settings don't give me the option of WPA-PSK or TKIP - I just get
> 40/64 bit or 128 bit as the choice.
>
> If I uncheck the enable security box, I get a message that I need to
> enable them to join the network, so I guess it can find the network,
> but can't connect to it for some security reasons?
>
> Should I be able to connect a B adaptor with a G router - belkin seem
> to think so at any rate.
>
> Anyone got any ideas please?
>
> Thanks

The problem isn't the B router - it is that apparently the new hardware
doesn't support WPA but only WEP. You can check to see if there are new
drivers for the Trend adapter that might enable it to use WPA. If those
don't exist or the option isn't provided, you'll need to change your
router (and the other wireless clients) to use only WEP instead.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

David

> The problem isn't the B router - it is that apparently the new hardware
> doesn't support WPA but only WEP. You can check to see if there are new
> drivers for the Trend adapter that might enable it to use WPA. If those
> don't exist or the option isn't provided, you'll need to change your
> router (and the other wireless clients) to use only WEP instead.

Thanks - changing to 128wep makes it work. Is this less secure than WPA? As
I said, I use MAC filtering.

Malke

David wrote:

>> The problem isn't the B router - it is that apparently the new
>> hardware doesn't support WPA but only WEP. You can check to see if
>> there are new drivers for the Trend adapter that might enable it to
>> use WPA. If those don't exist or the option isn't provided, you'll
>> need to change your router (and the other wireless clients) to use
>> only WEP instead.
>
> Thanks - changing to 128wep makes it work. Is this less secure than
> WPA? As I said, I use MAC filtering.

It is less secure than WPA, but the hardware must support WPA. Here is a
link to information about securing your wireless network:

Malke