  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
April 8, 2004 10:51:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tacos,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.tyan (More info?)

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a high end opteron board, but before i shell
out the money i want to make sure that it'll be good for a while. Last
week i was reading an article in PcMag which talked about the timeline
for CPUs over the next two years(i'm starting to realize they put out
this article every year around now). Anyway, i was reading about the
new opterons slated to come out in the 4th Quarter of this year
codenamed Venus Troy and Athens for the 100, 200, and 800 series
respectively. Will motherboards out now be able to use these cpus? If
so will they also be able to us the next update codenamed Denmark
Italy and Egypt? I can't imagine the latter would be true, or anybody
would know at this time, but i'm curious about the first thing.

thx for the help,

dan

More about : older opterons

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
April 9, 2004 6:42:04 AM

Dan Irwin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking about buying a high end opteron board, but before i shell
> out the money i want to make sure that it'll be good for a while. Last
> week i was reading an article in PcMag which talked about the timeline
> for CPUs over the next two years(i'm starting to realize they put out
> this article every year around now). Anyway, i was reading about the
> new opterons slated to come out in the 4th Quarter of this year
> codenamed Venus Troy and Athens for the 100, 200, and 800 series
> respectively. Will motherboards out now be able to use these cpus? If
> so will they also be able to us the next update codenamed Denmark
> Italy and Egypt? I can't imagine the latter would be true, or anybody
> would know at this time, but i'm curious about the first thing.

The timeline is also known as a "roadmap". It looks like AMD will make the
move to Socket 939 later this year. Current 64-bit AMD processors will not
work in these boards.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20040324135202...
!