Wireless MAC Filter?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
March 2, 2005 6:41:20 PM

I am currently using several Linksys Wireless G routers and am trying to
apply Wireless MAC Filters, I seem to be able to filter MAC addresses for
day and time if the user if hard wired but if they are wireless you can only
allow or decline access, there doesn't seem to be anything that allows me to
set the day and time for wireless access. Can anyone help? Am I missing
something?

More about : wireless mac filter

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 2, 2005 11:07:08 PM

Most routers will allow you to deny permission or give permission to MACs.
To setup time filtering you usually have to use IPs not MACs.

To do this consistantly though you will need to set static IPs.

Robert...

"HotRod" <NOSPAM@youremail.com> wrote in message
>I am currently using several Linksys Wireless G routers and am trying to
>apply Wireless MAC Filters, I seem to be able to filter MAC addresses for
>day and time if the user if hard wired but if they are wireless you can
>only allow or decline access, there doesn't seem to be anything that allows
>me to set the day and time for wireless access. Can anyone help? Am I
>missing something?

March 3, 2005 12:33:34 PM

Not really possible here and seems like a lot of extra work we basically
only have 6 PCs that I want to block access. It's way to easy for the users
of the PC to just turn off static IP's and have the PC get a new IP
address.

"HotRod" <NOSPAM@youremail.com> wrote in message
>I am currently using several Linksys Wireless G routers and am trying to
>apply Wireless MAC Filters, I seem to be able to filter MAC addresses for
>day and time if the user if hard wired but if they are wireless you can
>only allow or decline access, there doesn't seem to be anything that allows
>me to set the day and time for wireless access. Can anyone help? Am I
>missing something?

a b F Wireless
March 3, 2005 6:32:52 PM

If you set the router for static IP and disable DHCP then a user can not get
a different IP, unles they have access to your router password.

I have 4 computers in my home network, 2 desktops and 2 laptops. I have
allowed my DHCP server to use a range of IPs from 192.168.0.10 to
192.168.0.13 and have supplied static IPs to my 3 computers MACs using
192.168.0.10, .11, ,12 and 192.169.0.13. That way no unauthorized computers
can log into my network, unless they use some sort of MAC spoofing, But then
they also have to get past WPA-PSK security, which is not impossible, but
unlikely in a small home network.

You do not have to do anything to the computers themselves, the router will
handle all that. Then you can go into the router and filter by IP for dates
and times.

> Not really possible here and seems like a lot of extra work we basically
> only have 6 PCs that I want to block access. It's way to easy for the
> users of the PC to just turn off static IP's and have the PC get a new IP
> address.
>

> "HotRod" <NOSPAM@youremail.com> wrote in message
>>I am currently using several Linksys Wireless G routers and am trying to
>>apply Wireless MAC Filters, I seem to be able to filter MAC addresses for
>>day and time if the user if hard wired but if they are wireless you can
>>only allow or decline access, there doesn't seem to be anything that
>>allows me to set the day and time for wireless access. Can anyone help? Am
>>I missing something?

March 14, 2005 12:07:16 PM

I will have a look, when you said that I don't need to do anything to the
computers do you mean that the router will handle giving each PC a static
IP?

Don't I need to set the static IP on each PC?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 14, 2005 2:51:46 PM

Hi
Routers do not give static IP.
However MAC filtering can be used with DHCP too, the Router will keep the
MAC number in its memory.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"HotRod" <NOSPAM@youremail.com> wrote in message
news:o ruT2LKKFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> I will have a look, when you said that I don't need to do anything to the
> computers do you mean that the router will handle giving each PC a static
> IP?
>
> Don't I need to set the static IP on each PC?

March 14, 2005 4:19:30 PM

I want to filter based on time of day etc. and wasn't able to do this with
MAC addresses. I have both a VPN and Wireless-G router and when playing with
both the only setting that would works is to either give the PC access or
deny it access.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 14, 2005 8:12:54 PM

you can assign a static IP based on a MAC in the router and the router will
handle it all. When you have the IPs assigned to your computers via thier
MACs by the router, you can go setup your time restrictions.

!