Wireless MAC Filter?

I am currently using several Linksys Wireless G routers and am trying to
apply Wireless MAC Filters, I seem to be able to filter MAC addresses for
day and time if the user if hard wired but if they are wireless you can only
allow or decline access, there doesn't seem to be anything that allows me to
set the day and time for wireless access. Can anyone help? Am I missing
something?
7 answers Last reply
More about wireless filter

    Most routers will allow you to deny permission or give permission to MACs.
    To setup time filtering you usually have to use IPs not MACs.

    To do this consistantly though you will need to set static IPs.

    Robert...

    "HotRod" <NOSPAM@youremail.com> wrote in message
    >I am currently using several Linksys Wireless G routers and am trying to
    >apply Wireless MAC Filters, I seem to be able to filter MAC addresses for
    >day and time if the user if hard wired but if they are wireless you can
    >only allow or decline access, there doesn't seem to be anything that allows
    >me to set the day and time for wireless access. Can anyone help? Am I
    >missing something?

    Not really possible here and seems like a lot of extra work we basically
    only have 6 PCs that I want to block access. It's way to easy for the users
    of the PC to just turn off static IP's and have the PC get a new IP
    address.

    "HotRod" <NOSPAM@youremail.com> wrote in message
    >I am currently using several Linksys Wireless G routers and am trying to
    >apply Wireless MAC Filters, I seem to be able to filter MAC addresses for
    >day and time if the user if hard wired but if they are wireless you can
    >only allow or decline access, there doesn't seem to be anything that allows
    >me to set the day and time for wireless access. Can anyone help? Am I
    >missing something?

    If you set the router for static IP and disable DHCP then a user can not get
    a different IP, unles they have access to your router password.

    I have 4 computers in my home network, 2 desktops and 2 laptops. I have
    allowed my DHCP server to use a range of IPs from 192.168.0.10 to
    192.168.0.13 and have supplied static IPs to my 3 computers MACs using
    192.168.0.10, .11, ,12 and 192.169.0.13. That way no unauthorized computers
    can log into my network, unless they use some sort of MAC spoofing, But then
    they also have to get past WPA-PSK security, which is not impossible, but
    unlikely in a small home network.

    You do not have to do anything to the computers themselves, the router will
    handle all that. Then you can go into the router and filter by IP for dates
    and times.

    > Not really possible here and seems like a lot of extra work we basically
    > only have 6 PCs that I want to block access. It's way to easy for the
    > users of the PC to just turn off static IP's and have the PC get a new IP
    > address.
    >

    > "HotRod" <NOSPAM@youremail.com> wrote in message
    >>I am currently using several Linksys Wireless G routers and am trying to
    >>apply Wireless MAC Filters, I seem to be able to filter MAC addresses for
    >>day and time if the user if hard wired but if they are wireless you can
    >>only allow or decline access, there doesn't seem to be anything that
    >>allows me to set the day and time for wireless access. Can anyone help? Am
    >>I missing something?

    I will have a look, when you said that I don't need to do anything to the
    computers do you mean that the router will handle giving each PC a static
    IP?

    Don't I need to set the static IP on each PC?

    Hi
    Routers do not give static IP.
    However MAC filtering can be used with DHCP too, the Router will keep the
    MAC number in its memory.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    > I will have a look, when you said that I don't need to do anything to the
    > computers do you mean that the router will handle giving each PC a static
    > IP?
    >
    > Don't I need to set the static IP on each PC?

    I want to filter based on time of day etc. and wasn't able to do this with
    MAC addresses. I have both a VPN and Wireless-G router and when playing with
    both the only setting that would works is to either give the PC access or
    deny it access.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    you can assign a static IP based on a MAC in the router and the router will
    handle it all. When you have the IPs assigned to your computers via thier
    MACs by the router, you can go setup your time restrictions.

    Robert...

    "HotRod" <NOSPAM@youremail.com> wrote in message
    >I will have a look, when you said that I don't need to do anything to the
    >computers do you mean that the router will handle giving each PC a static
    >IP?
    >
    > Don't I need to set the static IP on each PC?

Wireless Filter Macintosh Wireless Networking