Anyone give me a step by step to setting up raid 0?

Or a link to it, of course?

I have a Giga GA - 7N400 Pro2 mobo running a stable 1700+. winXP
system. However, it will soon get a major makeover including...

3200+ CPU,
2 x 512 meg Crucial PC3200's,
Zalman 400w noisless (bliss) PSU,
9800 pro 128meg graphics, and crucially
3 x Western Digital Caviar SE 160GB UIDE 100 7200rpm 8mb Cache

Assuming I assemble the hardware without blowing anything up, I want
to run two of the HDD's in raid 0 for data transfer speed. (I know,
the most fragile way of doing it, but thats a seperate issue ATM). I
also want to dual boot. (Had a good read of
http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/, very good info). So can anyone
tell me exactly what I need to do to run in raid0? I have never used
raid before.

I assume...

At power up, go into bios and enable raid.
[do I enable / disable anything else?]

During boot, press whatever keys the bios says to set up raid and make
the bios see them as one HDD with 320 gig capacity.

Use partition magic to set up the required partitions and format them.

Install Os's as per above link.

Get the latest drivers for raid for the OS's?

I'm sure there's much more to it, so could some kind soul fill in the
blanks in as much detail as they feel like doing? It would help an
old man in his dotage very much! Well, I feel old sometimes, anyway.

Thanks in advance.

--
Regards from Mike Barnard
South Coast, UK.

[To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]

On 9-Apr-2004, Mike Barnard <m.barnard.trousers@thunderin.co.uk> wrote:

> Or a link to it, of course?
>
> I have a Giga GA - 7N400 Pro2 mobo running a stable 1700+. winXP
> system. However, it will soon get a major makeover including...
>
> 3200+ CPU,
> 2 x 512 meg Crucial PC3200's,
> Zalman 400w noisless (bliss) PSU,
> 9800 pro 128meg graphics, and crucially
> 3 x Western Digital Caviar SE 160GB UIDE 100 7200rpm 8mb Cache
>
> Assuming I assemble the hardware without blowing anything up, I want
> to run two of the HDD's in raid 0 for data transfer speed. (I know,
> the most fragile way of doing it, but thats a seperate issue ATM). I
> also want to dual boot. (Had a good read of
> http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/, very good info). So can anyone
> tell me exactly what I need to do to run in raid0? I have never used
> raid before.
>
> I assume...
>
> At power up, go into bios and enable raid.
> [do I enable / disable anything else?]
>
> During boot, press whatever keys the bios says to set up raid and make
> the bios see them as one HDD with 320 gig capacity.
>
> Use partition magic to set up the required partitions and format them.
>
> Install Os's as per above link.
>
> Get the latest drivers for raid for the OS's?
>
> I'm sure there's much more to it, so could some kind soul fill in the
> blanks in as much detail as they feel like doing? It would help an
> old man in his dotage very much! Well, I feel old sometimes, anyway.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> --
> Regards from Mike Barnard
> South Coast, UK.
>
> [To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]

Extract the RAID driver from the mainboard CD to a floppy. Windows will ask
for it at the beginning. You've pretty much got the rest right. The raid
driver came on the mainboard CD not on the Windows CD. If you have any
problem, send me a message. I just went through this on a GA-K8NNXP And set
up a RAID0 SATA and a RAID1 IDE.

--
rpilgrim7448@nospam-msn.com

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 01:38:32 GMT, rpilgrim7448@nospam-msn.com wrote:

>Extract the RAID driver from the mainboard CD to a floppy. Windows will ask
>for it at the beginning.

Surley by time I'm instaling windows I'll have a CD up and running?
Still, I suppose it stops me removing the install CD during install.
Good tip, thanks.

> You've pretty much got the rest right.

Getoutahere!

> The raid
>driver came on the mainboard CD not on the Windows CD.

Check.

> If you have any
>problem, send me a message. I just went through this on a GA-K8NNXP And set
>up a RAID0 SATA and a RAID1 IDE.

It'll be a few days before I get the parts now; bloody Easter! I
ordered tham ages ago and one delivery had the wrong board, and now
another one hasn't turned up so I also have no RAM. Sigh.

Thanks.

--
Regards from Mike Barnard
South Coast, UK.

[To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]

Nope you'll need to extract the drivers to floppy before hand (and be sure
to test them). Also, you'll need a conventional floppy drive to install
them from, for all its wiz bang support XP install doesnt yet cope with USB
floppy drives or even SuperDisk IDE floppys!

CrimsonLiar

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 17:37:31 +0100, "CrimsonLiar" <trash@trash.com>
wrote:

>Nope you'll need to extract the drivers to floppy before hand (and be sure
>to test them). Also, you'll need a conventional floppy drive to install

OK, I'll do that. Thanks.

--
Regards from Mike Barnard
South Coast, UK.

[To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]

> I also want to dual boot.

I use a RAID0 array (with two Western Digital 40MB drives) using my
8KNXP's IT8212F IDE RAID driver, primarily with Linux, and it works
like a charm.

I think that the 7N400 uses the same chip (a cursory Google search
seems to indicate that). You might find it useful to know that you
can download the latest software drivers (for Linux and Windows, as
well as their source code) directly from the ITE site:

http://www.ite.com.tw/productInfo/Download.html#IT8212%20ATA133%20Controller

-kris

On 11 Apr 2004 18:37:03 -0700, spam@vorwerk.ca (Kris Vorwerk) wrote:

>well as their source code) directly from the ITE site:
>
>http://www.ite.com.tw/productInfo/Download.html#IT8212%20ATA133%20Controller

Thanks for that Kris, it's added to my list of things to do to my new
machine... whan the correct parts finally get here! :)