Problem with burning CDs

I am running an AMD 1400+ with XP Pro SP2.
My problem is that after burning a CD using the XP function, my CD-RW does
not recognize the disc, however the disc is recognized by my DVD reader.

The disc is readable on my daughters' machine which has the XP Home edition.

Bob
11 answers Last reply
More about problem burning

    XP native CD burning functions do not normally like CD-RW. You may want to
    try Nero or Roxio EZ Media Creator 7.

    "Robert Kulp" <pluker@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >I am running an AMD 1400+ with XP Pro SP2.
    > My problem is that after burning a CD using the XP function, my CD-RW does
    > not recognize the disc, however the disc is recognized by my DVD reader.
    >
    > The disc is readable on my daughters' machine which has the XP Home
    > edition.
    >
    > Bob

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324129

    -----
    Nathan McNulty

    Robert Kulp wrote:
    > I am running an AMD 1400+ with XP Pro SP2.
    > My problem is that after burning a CD using the XP function, my CD-RW does
    > not recognize the disc, however the disc is recognized by my DVD reader.
    >
    > The disc is readable on my daughters' machine which has the XP Home edition.
    >
    > Bob

    He burned a CD, the drive is CD-RW. Also, I have never had a problem
    with CD-RW using XP's native burning functions. It writes to it just
    like a CD, but then you can eraase the CD and write to it again.

    -----
    Nathan McNulty

    Yves Leclerc wrote:
    > XP native CD burning functions do not normally like CD-RW. You may want to
    > try Nero or Roxio EZ Media Creator 7.
    >

    > "Robert Kulp" <pluker@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>I am running an AMD 1400+ with XP Pro SP2.
    >>My problem is that after burning a CD using the XP function, my CD-RW does
    >>not recognize the disc, however the disc is recognized by my DVD reader.
    >>
    >>The disc is readable on my daughters' machine which has the XP Home
    >>edition.
    >>
    >>Bob

    Yves, once again you churn out bad and/or faulty advice.

    The XP native CDR(W) writing tool has no problem whatsoever writing to
    a CDRW. None at all. Why would you think it would?

    On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 13:03:47 -0500, "Yves Leclerc"
    <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote:

    >XP native CD burning functions do not normally like CD-RW. You may want to
    >try Nero or Roxio EZ Media Creator 7.
    >

    >"Robert Kulp" <pluker@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >>I am running an AMD 1400+ with XP Pro SP2.
    >> My problem is that after burning a CD using the XP function, my CD-RW does
    >> not recognize the disc, however the disc is recognized by my DVD reader.
    >>
    >> The disc is readable on my daughters' machine which has the XP Home
    >> edition.
    >>
    >> Bob

    Give the guy a break. He's trying to help. I have never had a problem
    with CD-RW's using the native burning in Windows XP though. The burning
    engine was designed by Roxio and fully supports both CDR and CD-RW (but
    not CD-ROM because you need a special laser) :)

    -----
    Nathan McNulty

    "Nathan McNulty" <newsgroups@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Give the guy a break. He's trying to help. I have never had a problem
    > with CD-RW's using the native burning in Windows XP though. The burning
    > engine was designed by Roxio and fully supports both CDR and CD-RW (but
    > not CD-ROM because you need a special laser) :)
    >
    > -----
    > Nathan McNulty

    It's not helpful to post responses if you don't know what you're talking
    about. And please tell us more about this "special laser" that is used to
    create CD-ROMS.

    Who says I don't know what I am talking about? You? You don't even
    know the difference between the laser required for writing a CD-ROM and
    for writing a CD-R or CD-RW. The laser used on a CD-ROM is a high
    intensity laser that burns pits as it appers to us or bumps as it
    appears to the reading laser. This is completely different than the low
    intensity laser used to write CD-R's and CD-RW's which use an organic
    die instead of burning pits/bumps into the CD.

    I have attempted to connect a real CD-ROM writer (from a friends
    recording studio), but never could get it to work. The computer kind of
    saw that it existed, but was unable to do anything with it. I know this
    wasn't Roxio's fault, but I highly doubt that any computer CD Writing
    software can support the methods used to write to a real CD-ROM writer.

    -----
    Nathan McNulty

    > Who says I don't know what I am talking about? You? You don't even
    > know the difference between the laser required for writing a CD-ROM and
    > for writing a CD-R or CD-RW. The laser used on a CD-ROM is a high
    > intensity laser that burns pits as it appers to us or bumps as it
    > appears to the reading laser. This is completely different than the low
    > intensity laser used to write CD-R's and CD-RW's which use an organic
    > die instead of burning pits/bumps into the CD.
    >
    > I have attempted to connect a real CD-ROM writer (from a friends
    > recording studio), but never could get it to work. The computer kind of
    > saw that it existed, but was unable to do anything with it. I know this
    > wasn't Roxio's fault, but I highly doubt that any computer CD Writing
    > software can support the methods used to write to a real CD-ROM writer.
    >
    > -----
    > Nathan McNulty

    Take a pill and calm down. My reference was to your statement, "Give the guy
    a break. He's trying to help" which was in reference to another guy's
    comment directed at Yves. My suggestion was that *Yves* at least in this
    instance, didn't know what he was talking about.
    And wtf does making CD-ROMs have to do with anything? I think you'll find
    that mass-produced CD-ROMs aren't burned at all--although masters *are*
    burned using the process you describe. So there's little or no relevance to
    the subject when the discussion is about burning CDs with XP.

    Well, I was making a joke about the special laser required for burning
    CD-ROM's and then you said I didn't know what I was talking about (at
    least that's how I read it), so that's where the CD-ROM burning came in.

    Anyways, you didn't specify who you were talking about and I
    misunderstood. So sorry if I got frustrated. ;)

    -----
    Nathan McNulty

    > Well, I was making a joke about the special laser required for burning
    > CD-ROM's and then you said I didn't know what I was talking about (at
    > least that's how I read it), so that's where the CD-ROM burning came in.
    >
    > Anyways, you didn't specify who you were talking about and I
    > misunderstood. So sorry if I got frustrated. ;)
    >
    > -----
    > Nathan McNulty

    No problem--makes me feel right at home.

    Nathan,
    You didn't misunderstand. Wislu Plethora surfaces occasionally to make
    nothing but derogatory remarks. I gave him my standard response to his
    appearances. Plonk!

    | Well, I was making a joke about the special laser required for burning
    | CD-ROM's and then you said I didn't know what I was talking about (at
    | least that's how I read it), so that's where the CD-ROM burning came
    in.

    | Anyways, you didn't specify who you were talking about and I
    | misunderstood. So sorry if I got frustrated. ;)
    |
    | -----
    | Nathan McNulty
    |
    | Wislu Plethora wrote:
    | > "Nathan McNulty" <newsgroups@msn.com> wrote in message
    | >
    | >>Who says I don't know what I am talking about? You? You don't even
    | >>know the difference between the laser required for writing a CD-ROM
    and
    | >>for writing a CD-R or CD-RW. The laser used on a CD-ROM is a high
    | >>intensity laser that burns pits as it appers to us or bumps as it
    | >>appears to the reading laser. This is completely different than the
    low
    | >>intensity laser used to write CD-R's and CD-RW's which use an
    organic
    | >>die instead of burning pits/bumps into the CD.
    | >>
    | >>I have attempted to connect a real CD-ROM writer (from a friends
    | >>recording studio), but never could get it to work. The computer
    kind of
    | >>saw that it existed, but was unable to do anything with it. I know
    this
    | >>wasn't Roxio's fault, but I highly doubt that any computer CD
    Writing
    | >>software can support the methods used to write to a real CD-ROM
    writer.

    | >>-----
    | >>Nathan McNulty
    | >>

    | > Take a pill and calm down. My reference was to your statement, "Give
    the guy
    | > a break. He's trying to help" which was in reference to another
    guy's
    | > comment directed at Yves. My suggestion was that *Yves* at least in
    this
    | > instance, didn't know what he was talking about.
    | > And wtf does making CD-ROMs have to do with anything? I think you'll
    find
    | > that mass-produced CD-ROMs aren't burned at all--although masters
    *are*
    | > burned using the process you describe. So there's little or no
    relevance to
    | > the subject when the discussion is about burning CDs with XP.

Burner CD-Rom Windows XP